Draft Strategy

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Well I, along with several others, have said this will be the craziest draft ever. So what’s the winning strategy? Well despite the usual BPA clamor, the modern draft recognizes the existence of a cap. Teams BPsA typically are confined to areas of need. So first the Cards should prioritize their needs. Free agency aside I’d put the needs as CB, Edge, WR, RB, DL & OL. I know they could use assorted other positional help, but those slots seem the most desperate.

There is no way to know the impact of free agency. Not only is the draft confusing but so is free agency. FA demands initially will be excessive. Cap money is scarce. Expect tons of anger as a result. Some creative teams will find ways to do quite a bit. A few, like the Colts, actually have space. Mostly the teams who know how to manipulate the cap will benefit. Historically that hasn’t been the Cards.

FA is thin at primary CBs. There are quite a few Edge Rushers who would be adequate opposite Jones if he returns to form. Since this is a contract year, I expect him to bounce back. The Cards can afford one of those players. There are always running backs but getting an impact runner is difficult. I know many want Fournette, but he failed to deliver at Jax. He is far from a sure thing. I don’t like that gamble. This is an outstanding draft for both WRs & OLs. The only real chance to add DL help is free agency or a trade. I’m certainly okay with trading a pick out of this draft to fill a need.

Where does that leave it? As for the corner, the Cards have 4 options. Sit tight and hope one of the 2 suitable corners falls. Horn is not a number one corner. Re-sign Peterson, but I don’t believe he’s worth the money he will get. Trade for a corner. The problem again is the cap. They’d have to make some cuts for that to happen. Finally if one of the corners slide they could trade their third round pick to move up and grab a CB. They could trade a 2022 pick to move up farther, but that would significantly increase their rookie pool.

As I suggested above, the best use of FA is securing an Edge Rusher. As for using the first pick on one that worries me. The top draft worthy Edge Rushers have the type of issues I don’t like in a first round selection. Paye & Rousseau are the consensus early picks. Paye has a motor issue. Rousseau looks the part, but seldom plays like that. Many of the lower picks leave questions about holding the edge. There are a couple of lower round options that might be worth a gamble but I like FA better.

I’ve already presented that I don’t see a helpful DL in round 1. Therefore if the CBs are unreachable that leaves OL, WR & RB. I’m not opposed to taking either RB Harris or Williams. Both have the talent but fulfilling their promise has been a constant issue with RBs. I go Williams first, but either would do and Harris is a better receiver. Both should be there and might even occasion a small trade down.

This is a great draft for WRs and the Cards certainly need one. Kadarius Toney has the solid speed the Cards need. His published 40 times look a little slow but I expected him to surprise at Florida’s Pro Day. His game speed is fine. He’s a big play machine who runs great routes, is hard to tackle and has unusual separation burst. He’s also a fine runner on gimmick plays. He’s the surest choice among the wide receivers. I think the most likely scenario is both CBs, the 2 Bama receivers and Chase are gone by 16. If my worst nightmare happens, Toney might also be gone. If you feel compelled to go WR, consider replacing Fitzgerald with Rashod Bateman. He’s not super fast but like Hopkins if it’s near him he’ll catch it. He has a knack for making the game breaking play. He opted out, so he’ll drop due to lacking great speed. Again a short trade down would work. He has a very high floor and virtually no bust potential. He fits this offense.

The fallback choice is an OL. This is a great draft, but I’m on record that I’d try to grab Little in round 2. If you go in 1, Christian Darrisaw is both good and mean. That’s one of my favorite combinations. He’s the best run blocker in the draft. He’s also shown continuous improvement as a pass blocker. Still I’d start him at LG (though he’s never played inside) and if his footwork and balance improve he could be a fine tackle as well.

So that’s it, at today’s stage my board first round choices would be
Surtain then Farley
Toney
Williams
Harris
Darrisaw
Bateman (with trade down)

Of course we are a long way from draft day, so much may change.

don7031

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The Cardinals can't really afford anything beyond journeyman types in free agency. It is going to be quantity rather than quality.

Running back or interior triangle is a trading down option in the draft.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
So u want us having a bad season
In first place i hope they will have a good season giving us the hope to be a legit contender during the season
Of course I'd rather we had a winning season and became contenders, I just see it as unlikely. I see it as even more unlikely if we count on rookies to man the outsides.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Of course I'd rather we had a winning season and became contenders, I just see it as unlikely. I see it as even more unlikely if we count on rookies to man the outsides.

Considering the cb's performances on the outside last year is difficult doing worse
Surely they will add a veteran who is willing to tackle...
Then another upgrade should be adding speed in the front seven
Tampa Bay showed how speed is the key to limit power offenses
Let Simmons play and add a guy like Lavonte David/ Jarred Davis
Speed is the reason I wouldn't resign golden, when he makes pathetic attempt chasing people who run around him is painful to watch
The front seven need a player like Suh who still a force in the middle and I would tag Reddick

Allen (De) Suh (dt) Hyder Jr (de)

Reddick jones

Simmons Davis

Weatherspoon Lcb. [*Murphy (ncb)] Horn (rcb)

Thompson (ss) Baker(Fs)

Suh 1 year 8mil
Davis 3/28mil
Weatherspoon 2/15mil
Hyder 3/24mil

Cut Hicks, big liability with his slowness

Restructuring Jones contract and using the rest of the money for a WR and a Center

1st Horn cb South Carolina
2nd trey Smith Og Tennessee
3rd Javonte Williams rb North Caroline
5th Round WR or tigh end
7th Punter or kicker

Last edited:
OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score
If Darrisaw has never played Guard, why not just reference Alijah Vera-Tucker who has actually played Guard instead?
I wouldn’t be opposed to going that way. However it seems clear Vera-Tucker will never move to tackle. Nothing wrong with a great career guard, but Darrisaw would be able to move to tackle if Humphries is injured or if Jones doesn’t work out. Also the slot money makes for a pricey guard complicating the cap. Vera-Tucker is certainly a fine guard and he would be a fit. I wouldn’t feel bad about his selection. Some question his drive blocking skills, but he looks fine to me. He’s a little weak in pass blocking but that’s curable. Good player!

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score
Considering the cb's performances on the outside last year is difficult doing worse
Surely they will add a veteran who is willing to tackle...
Then another upgrade should be adding speed in the front seven
Tampa Bay showed how speed is the key to limit power offenses
Let Simmons play and add a guy like Lavonte David/ Jarred Davis
Speed is the reason I wouldn't resign golden, when he makes pathetic attempt chasing people who run around him is painful to watch
The front seven need a player like Suh who still a force in the middle and I would tag Reddick

Allen (De) Suh (dt) Hyder Jr (de)

Reddick jones

Simmons Davis

Weatherspoon Lcb. [*Murphy (ncb)] Horn (rcb)

Thompson (ss) Baker(Fs)

Suh 1 year 8mil
Davis 3/28mil
Weatherspoon 2/15mil
Hyder 3/24mil

Cut Hicks, big liability with his slowness

Restructuring Jones contract and using the rest of the money for a WR and a Center
1st Horn cb South Carolina
2nd trey Smith Og Tennessee
3rd Javonte Williams rb North Caroline
5th Round WR or tigh end
7th Punter or kicker

you can’t restructure that much money. Horn is a press corner. Likely a #2 corner at best. Who covers the speed WRs? Suh takes quite a few plays off these days. Williams has no chance of lasting until round 3; could go in round 1.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Harry do you mean you like Toney's chances the best of ALL the WR's, or just the ones you think the Cards will have a chance at 16?

In other words do you like him better than Chase, Smith and Waddle, or as you said you're assuming those 3 are all gone?

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I am not looking to bank any 2022 comp picks so here would be my plan. I won't add cuts and restructures because so many can be done to essentially get whatever money is needed. Expect a bunch of back-loaded deals as Keim is working for his job. With that in mind I will take a short-term approach.

Trade a 2022 2nd rounder (I don't think it would cost this much but for argument's sake) for Fletcher Cox - DL

Extend Reddick (again, I think 10 mil per year will get it done)

FREE AGENTS

Sign Jarrad Davis - ILB Lions (He was a declined option so no worries here)

Sign William Jackson - CB Bengals

Sign Sidney Jones - CB Jaguars

Sign Corey Linsley - C Packers

Sign John Ross - WR Cincy (another declined option and shot in the dark player)

Sign TY Hilton - WR Indy (I think he will be cheaper than the top group and he still has vertical speed. Definitely better as a #2)

DRAFT

I believe trading back to add picks is going to be a very real option as all players who we need and hit value are likely gone. My guess right now is that we will trade back and target a G/T or CB. I think we will hear that the gap between AVT and Jalen Mayfield isn't viewed as big as well as the gap between Horn and Newsome/Melifonwu. If we do not extend Reddick, an EDGE player is also a very viable option.

1 - Alijah Vera-Tucker - OL - USC

2 - Jordan Smith - EDGE - UAB

3 - Keith Taylor - CB - Washington

5 - Elijah Mitchell - RB - Louisiana

(I tried to be conservative with the drafted players because I understand there is high variance between where some of these players are ranked.)

Essentially, my plan would be to add talent to the offensive line as well as some versatility. Linsley gives us a legit C, and AVT gives us a G/T option on either side.

I would add FA speed at WR. I think Hilton is passed his prime but also is a better than average #2 WR who brings a vertical threat that we just do not have. Ross doubles down on that role and need due to Hilton's age. I think this gives you a shot to evaluate Kirk in the slot which is where he has always projected best. Make or break year for him.

Mitchell gives us a more physical option at RB but a guy who has shown he can catch when given the opportunity.

Defensively it is about depth and size at CB. Jones is a lottery option and he didn't look terrible in Jacksonville last year. He is an athletic depth player. Taylor gives us another outside option to compete with Jones and enable Murphy to move to the slot in sub packages.

Jordan Smith is taking advantage of a talented EDGE class and adds a 6'6 255 lb athlete to the mix defensively. With his size and length, Smith can be a sub package pass rusher, he can be a base defense EDGE player who adds size. He adds options on defense outside of Jones and Reddick.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I am not looking to bank any 2022 comp picks so here would be my plan. I won't add cuts and restructures because so many can be done to essentially get whatever money is needed. Expect a bunch of back-loaded deals as Keim is working for his job. With that in mind I will take a short-term approach.

Trade a 2022 2nd rounder (I don't think it would cost this much but for argument's sake) for Fletcher Cox - DL

FREE AGENTS

Sign TY Hilton - WR Indy (I think he will be cheaper than the top group and he still has vertical speed. Definitely better as a #2)

DRAFT

I believe trading back to add picks is going to be a very real option as all players who we need and hit value are likely gone. My guess right now is that we will trade back and target a G/T or CB. I think we will hear that the gap between AVT and Jalen Mayfield isn't viewed as big as well as the gap between Horn and Newsome/Melifonwu. If we do not extend Reddick, an EDGE player is also a very viable option.

(I tried to be conservative with the drafted players because I understand there is high variance between where some of these players are ranked.)

Essentially, my plan would be to add talent to the offensive line as well as some versatility. Linsley gives us a legit C, and AVT gives us a G/T option on either side.

I would add FA speed at WR. I think Hilton is passed his prime but also is a better than average #2 WR who brings a vertical threat that we just do not have. Ross doubles down on that role and need due to Hilton's age. I think this gives you a shot to evaluate Kirk in the slot which is where he has always projected best. Make or break year for him.

Mitchell gives us a more physical option at RB but a guy who has shown he can catch when given the opportunity.

Defensively it is about depth and size at CB. Jones is a lottery option and he didn't look terrible in Jacksonville last year. He is an athletic depth player. Taylor gives us another outside option to compete with Jones and enable Murphy to move to the slot in sub packages.

Jordan Smith is taking advantage of a talented EDGE class and adds a 6'6 255 lb athlete to the mix defensively. With his size and length, Smith can be a sub package pass rusher, he can be a base defense EDGE player who adds size. He adds options on defense outside of Jones and Reddick.

Chopper, can you be the new GM? I love this plan bro. Would not be mad at all if this was how it played out.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

FREE AGENTS

DRAFT

Those are a lot of signings. I will be shocked if keim can land three “name” FAs in Hilton, Jackson, and Linsley.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Keim the last few years has tried to have all his roster holes patched (we can debate "how effectively") by the time the draft rolls around.

Given "the contending window" has officially opened, and that his job is very much on the line -- i expect Keim to be very aggressive.

So he will clear as much space as possible, even if it means dead money in the future.

for the roster: I think there is only one UFA the team needs to resign: Reddick. (im ignoring punter and kicker in this).

as for true roster holes: they need two serviceable CBs. The good news is that the CB play last year was so poor on balance, getting an upgrade at both CB spots is doable for not crazy contracts -- so i expect a couple middle tier guys.

I think that they add a vet IOL -- and i love Choppers Linsley approach. That might be the one FA signing where the player is at the tops at his position. at least per PFF, that would be a gigantic upgrade in the middle.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those are a lot of signings. I will be shocked if keim can land three “name” FAs in Hilton, Jackson, and Linsley.

I'd be shocked if he can get more than 1. Teams are going be looking for these 1 year bargain signings that Keim has been known for due to the cap likely being down this year.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
you can’t restructure that much money. Horn is a press corner. Likely a #2 corner at best. Who covers the speed WRs? Suh takes quite a few plays off these days. Williams has no chance of lasting until round 3; could go in round 1.
Press corner... And so?
He is tall athletic and has shown short area burst to stick with fast receivers and travel with opposite best receivers even in the slot
Plus he continues to get better year by year, just need to improve his tackling skills

Last edited:

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
William Jackson would be the toughest one IMO. It just isn't a great CB FA class so teams will be competing over the ones they want.

We might be the team in need of a C with the most cap space. Most of the teams with cap space actually have the C position locked up.

I choose Hilton because I don't know what his market will be. Teams aren't going to want to pay him to be their number 1, and there are several WRs on the market who will be considered better than him. I look at Hilton, Fuller and Samuel and believe that Hilton might have the softest market of the three and they are all in the 2nd or 3rd tier of free agent WRs.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Those planning on William Jackson seem to be overlooking that he's a very possible candidate to be franchise tagged - and that the Bengals are projected around $40-42 million in cap space.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I’m starting to really like Darishaw.

But, if they draft him, play him at tackle. That’s his position. Don’t draft guys to change their position.
I hate that strategy and it doesn’t work. See, Reddick and Buccannon.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score
Harry do you mean you like Toney's chances the best of ALL the WR's, or just the ones you think the Cards will have a chance at 16?

In other words do you like him better than Chase, Smith and Waddle, or as you said you're assuming those 3 are all gone?

Those 3 should be gone by 16. I don’t put him ahead of those 3, but I wouldn’t be shocked to see him become the biggest impact player of the group because of his versatility. He’s not as fast and doesn’t run the best routes but he will improve in that area. He likely produces the best YAC and on running plays, like jet sweeps, he can impact a game in the most ways. If Kingsbury is truly creative, this guy can do things the others can’t. Don’t let his size fool you, he’s tough to tackle. He is an impact player whose game fits the Cards well. He’s not a speed receiver but he will drive defenses crazy if we’ll used.

Reaction score
William Jackson would be the toughest one IMO. It just isn't a great CB FA class so teams will be competing over the ones they want.

We might be the team in need of a C with the most cap space. Most of the teams with cap space actually have the C position locked up.

I choose Hilton because I don't know what his market will be. Teams aren't going to want to pay him to be their number 1, and there are several WRs on the market who will be considered better than him. I look at Hilton, Fuller and Samuel and believe that Hilton might have the softest market of the three and they are all in the 2nd or 3rd tier of free agent WRs.

I'm not so sure about John Ross' hands. He seems to have a lot of drops. I may be wrong. I like Linsley at C.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score
Press corner... And so?
He is tall athletic and has shown short area burst to stick with fast receivers and travel with opposite best receivers even in the slot
Plus he continues to get better year by year, just need to be improve his tackling skills

I think press corners work best as complimentary players to fast CBs playing number one corner. It’s far harder to press in the NFL because of speed/agility abilities of so many NFL WRs. If they fail to contain the WR, players like Horn lack the speed to catch up. They work best in a zone scheme where their responsibility is an area close to where they try to press the receiver. Catch up speed is less critical. Horn also has a problems with false steps where again catch up speed is an issue.

He also needs to significantly improve his tackling. He’s willing but needs serious work. Finally his hands are fair at best. He’s not a ball hawk and will muff some interception opportunities.

He is the third rated corner on most boards. He may develop into a useful corner but he’s not worth 16 IMO.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score

The problem with Hilton is the Colts like him and they have serious money. I think he’ll cost $8-10 mil

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose