Draft Strategy

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Keim the last few years has tried to have all his roster holes patched (we can debate "how effectively") by the time the draft rolls around.

Given "the contending window" has officially opened, and that his job is very much on the line -- i expect Keim to be very aggressive.

So he will clear as much space as possible, even if it means dead money in the future.

for the roster: I think there is only one UFA the team needs to resign: Reddick. (im ignoring punter and kicker in this).

as for true roster holes: they need two serviceable CBs. The good news is that the CB play last year was so poor on balance, getting an upgrade at both CB spots is doable for not crazy contracts -- so i expect a couple middle tier guys.

I think that they add a vet IOL -- and i love Choppers Linsley approach. That might be the one FA signing where the player is at the tops at his position. at least per PFF, that would be a gigantic upgrade in the middle.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those are a lot of signings. I will be shocked if keim can land three “name” FAs in Hilton, Jackson, and Linsley.

I'd be shocked if he can get more than 1. Teams are going be looking for these 1 year bargain signings that Keim has been known for due to the cap likely being down this year.

juza76

Registered
Reaction score
you can’t restructure that much money. Horn is a press corner. Likely a #2 corner at best. Who covers the speed WRs? Suh takes quite a few plays off these days. Williams has no chance of lasting until round 3; could go in round 1.
Press corner... And so?
He is tall athletic and has shown short area burst to stick with fast receivers and travel with opposite best receivers even in the slot
Plus he continues to get better year by year, just need to improve his tackling skills

Last edited:

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Those are a lot of signings. I will be shocked if keim can land three “name” FAs in Hilton, Jackson, and Linsley.
William Jackson would be the toughest one IMO. It just isn't a great CB FA class so teams will be competing over the ones they want.

We might be the team in need of a C with the most cap space. Most of the teams with cap space actually have the C position locked up.

I choose Hilton because I don't know what his market will be. Teams aren't going to want to pay him to be their number 1, and there are several WRs on the market who will be considered better than him. I look at Hilton, Fuller and Samuel and believe that Hilton might have the softest market of the three and they are all in the 2nd or 3rd tier of free agent WRs.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Those planning on William Jackson seem to be overlooking that he's a very possible candidate to be franchise tagged - and that the Bengals are projected around $40-42 million in cap space.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I’m starting to really like Darishaw.

But, if they draft him, play him at tackle. That’s his position. Don’t draft guys to change their position.
I hate that strategy and it doesn’t work. See, Reddick and Buccannon.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Harry do you mean you like Toney's chances the best of ALL the WR's, or just the ones you think the Cards will have a chance at 16?

In other words do you like him better than Chase, Smith and Waddle, or as you said you're assuming those 3 are all gone?

Those 3 should be gone by 16. I don’t put him ahead of those 3, but I wouldn’t be shocked to see him become the biggest impact player of the group because of his versatility. He’s not as fast and doesn’t run the best routes but he will improve in that area. He likely produces the best YAC and on running plays, like jet sweeps, he can impact a game in the most ways. If Kingsbury is truly creative, this guy can do things the others can’t. Don’t let his size fool you, he’s tough to tackle. He is an impact player whose game fits the Cards well. He’s not a speed receiver but he will drive defenses crazy if we’ll used.

Reaction score
William Jackson would be the toughest one IMO. It just isn't a great CB FA class so teams will be competing over the ones they want.

We might be the team in need of a C with the most cap space. Most of the teams with cap space actually have the C position locked up.

I choose Hilton because I don't know what his market will be. Teams aren't going to want to pay him to be their number 1, and there are several WRs on the market who will be considered better than him. I look at Hilton, Fuller and Samuel and believe that Hilton might have the softest market of the three and they are all in the 2nd or 3rd tier of free agent WRs.

I'm not so sure about John Ross' hands. He seems to have a lot of drops. I may be wrong. I like Linsley at C.

Harry

Reaction score
Press corner... And so?
He is tall athletic and has shown short area burst to stick with fast receivers and travel with opposite best receivers even in the slot
Plus he continues to get better year by year, just need to be improve his tackling skills

I think press corners work best as complimentary players to fast CBs playing number one corner. It’s far harder to press in the NFL because of speed/agility abilities of so many NFL WRs. If they fail to contain the WR, players like Horn lack the speed to catch up. They work best in a zone scheme where their responsibility is an area close to where they try to press the receiver. Catch up speed is less critical. Horn also has a problems with false steps where again catch up speed is an issue.

He also needs to significantly improve his tackling. He’s willing but needs serious work. Finally his hands are fair at best. He’s not a ball hawk and will muff some interception opportunities.

He is the third rated corner on most boards. He may develop into a useful corner but he’s not worth 16 IMO.

Harry

Reaction score

The problem with Hilton is the Colts like him and they have serious money. I think he’ll cost $8-10 mil

Harry

Reaction score
I’m starting to really like Darishaw.

But, if they draft him, play him at tackle. That’s his position. Don’t draft guys to change their position.
I hate that strategy and it doesn’t work. See, Reddick and Buccannon.

Historically it works well with OLs. It’s not at all uncommon to start college OTs at guard.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
The problem with Hilton is the Colts like him and they have serious money. I think he’ll cost $8-10 mil
and that is the question as it would be the top of what we would want to spend. In this offseason, I am going to push back a little and say I am projecting him at the 5-8 range. We will see. A very unique offseason.

In regards to the Colts, I do wonder if they go after a Kenny Golladay or JuJu to get a little younger and more physical along with Pittman heading into year 2.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I'm not so sure about John Ross' hands. He seems to have a lot of drops. I may be wrong. I like Linsley at C.
Ross is a dart throw. Betting on the talent that got him drafted high and hoping some of his failure in Cincy was due to Cincy.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those 3 should be gone by 16. I don’t put him ahead of those 3, but I wouldn’t be shocked to see him become the biggest impact player of the group because of his versatility. He’s not as fast and doesn’t run the best routes but he will improve in that area. He likely produces the best YAC and on running plays, like jet sweeps, he can impact a game in the most ways. If Kingsbury is truly creative, this guy can do things the others can’t. Don’t let his size fool you, he’s tough to tackle. He is an impact player whose game fits the Cards well. He’s not a speed receiver but he will drive defenses crazy if we’ll used.

Yeah he's great after the catch or on runs I agree, I was just trying to clarify what you meant. I do like him..

thanks

Harry

Reaction score
Got an email on why I took Surtain before Farley. Actually I have Farley rated as slightly stronger with a little higher ceiling. I put Surtain on top for 2 reasons. First Legacy players are always the safer choice when choosing between 2 relatively equal prospects. Second Surtain has the higher floor. We’ve seen more of him against top competition. I’m not certain he’s a Pro Bowl player but he should be a starter for quite a few years. Ceiling issues tell me both these players may top out as solid number 2 corners but both have a chance to be number 1 corners. Farley has a slightly better chance of being a number 1, but he also has a higher bust factor.