Down on the Farm - 2007 edition

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks to everybody that made last year's prospect thread a success. I have no doubts that this year's thread will be bigger and better than the last.

Last year's thread can be found here: http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/vb/showthread.php?t=73068

Reminder: BaseballAmerica.com will be releasing their Diamondbacks Top 10 prospects list next Monday, February 12th. The Top 10 list is still free, but unfortunately the accompanying chat is subscriber only this year.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More from BA:

• I'm a huge Mets fan and am excited about our present and future. New York has some very talented outfielders coming up through the system. Who would you rather have: Lastings Milledge, Fernando Martinez and Carlos Gomez, or the Diamondbacks' trio of Carlos Quentin, Chris Young and Carlos Gonzalez? Who will be the best individual player out of that group?

Scott Jacoby
    Manhattan
I'm going to take Door No. 3 on this one. If I could have my pick of any young outfield (let's say where no one is older than 25), I'd take Carl Crawford, Delmon Young and B.J. Upton of the Devil Rays. Upton hasn't moved to the outfield yet, but that's where he'll eventually end up. And if you don't count Upton and replace him with Rocco Baldelli, I'd still stick with Tampa Bay's trio.

If I'm limited to Scott's two choices, I'd take the Diamondbacks outfielders. Arizona's group would be even stronger if you substituted Justin Upton for Gonzalez. Upton will be the best long-term player in the Diamondbacks or Mets outfield, and of the guys Scott mentioned, I'd go with Chris Young.
http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/askba/263212.html

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good to hear~!!

And gee, if we had Carlos gomez, we could have had an All Carlos outfield!

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Allegedly this will be BA's top 10 list:
1- justin upton
2-chris young
3-carlos gonzalez
4-alberto callaspo
5-miguel montero
6-micah owings
7-mark reynolds
8-dustin nippert
9-tony pena
10-brett anderson

http://forum.diamondbacksbullpen.org/viewtopic.php?t=1341

Would they count Montero, Callaspo, and Pena when they are going to start the year in the bigs. I would think Chris Carter, Greg Smith, and Cyle Hankard would replace them if so.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would they count Montero, Callaspo, and Pena when they are going to start the year in the bigs. I would think Chris Carter, Greg Smith, and Cyle Hankard would replace them if so.
BA's standards for their list are the same as the MLB rookie requirements, less than 130 at bats or less than 50 innings pitched.

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
Good to see some pitchers on that list, though they're not future staff aces so I won't get too excited. We went pitcher-heavy in the last two drafts so I would expect we will begin to see a few of them make some noise this upcoming season.

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
Get Scherzer signed already...........

According to BA, he is expected to sign but they do not know when. Also, they said that if he had signed he would have been the #6 prospect for the D'backs.

The organization was ranked #4 in the majors even after promoting players like Jackson, Q, and Young.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BA's Dbacks Top 10 list is now out. As expected, its the same as the list nm132 posted. They seem to be really high on Callaspo and Nippert, higher than I thought they would be. Also, they expect Scherzer to sign before spring training. The chat is going on now, but unfortunately it can't be posted as its insider only. However, if somebody with a subscription wants to post a summary, it would be greatly appreciated.

Here's BA's projected 2010 lineup:

Catcher Miguel Montero
First Base Conor Jackson
Second Base Alberto Callaspo
Third Base Chad Tracy
Shortstop Stephen Drew
Left Field Carlos Quentin
Center Field Chris Young
Right Field Justin Upton
No. 1 Starter Brandon Webb
No. 2 Starter Micah Owings
No. 3 Starter Dustin Nippert
No. 4 Starter Doug Davis
No. 5 Starter Brett Anderson
Closer Tony Pena

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/features/263345.html

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another bit from BA...

• Though he signed as a nondrafted free agent in 2005, Ryan Doherty had an amazing season in the Diamondbacks system last year. How much of a prospect is the 7-foot-1 righthander?

Timothy Johnson
    Baltimore
Doherty was old for the low Class A Midwest League last year at age 22, but his numbers still stood out. He went 9-1, 2.59 with five saves in 39 appearances. He had a 76-20 K-BB ratio in 63 innings, while holding opponents to a .214 average and two homers. He did his pitching at South Bend, where he had a decent if unspectacular three-year career at Notre Dame.
Despite his impressive statistics last summer, Doherty is still most notable for his size. He doesn't have a standout pitch, working with an 86-90 mph fastball, a slurvy breaking ball and an undistinguished changeup. His height gives him some deception, but he struggles to repeat his mechanics. Scouts who saw him in both college and pro ball did note that he has seemed a lot more confident after signing.
Doherty would be the tallest pitcher in major league history if he makes it that far. While he has a chance, it's still a longshot at this point.
http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/askba/263316.html

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
Got this from another website:
Rick (freeport, me): any word on if Max Scherzer is close to signing?

Jim Callis: Nope. Still expect him to sign in the next couple of weeks, but not hearing anything specific and still will be puzzled at how he's going to command more than slot money.

From Chat with Jim Callis

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Scherzer update: The D-backs are still talking with last year's top draft pick Max Scherzer and have until June 1 to sign him or lose his rights and gain a sandwich pick.
"We'll just keep negotiating," GM Josh Byrnes said. "We have a few months left, but at the same time, here we are in Spring Training so the larger goal is getting him to the big leagues so these are valuable days for him."
Byrnes said that he and some of the front office will visit face-to-face with Scherzer at the offices of his agent Scott Boras sometime "hopefully, within the next two weeks."
http://arizona.diamondbacks.mlb.com...d=1808320&vkey=spt2007news&fext=.jsp&c_id=ari

HooverDam

Reaction score
BA's Top 100 Prospects list:
9. Justin Upton
12. Chris Young
18. Carlos Gonzalez
63. Miguel Montero
82. Alberto Callaspo
98. Micah Owings

Thats awesome, I wish the Dbacks had more pitchers on the list though. Upton is probably ranked a bit too high, since he didn't put up great numbers, I guess they are rating on his perceived potential.

I hope he gets some time at 3B in the minors, I'd love to see all of the young OFielders work out, and then have a future lineup of:

RF Carlos Quentin
CF Chris Young
LF Carlos Gonzalez
3B Justin Upton
SS Stephen Drew
2B Alberto Callaspo
1B Tracy or CoJack (trade whoever you don't keep for pitching if possible)
C Miguel Montero

Extremely unlikely it would happen like that, but I can dream.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think its very likely Upton is pushed back to the infield.

HooverDam

Reaction score
I don't think its very likely Upton is pushed back to the infield.

I know, but if he doesn't that means that one of the young outfielders has to go at some point. And it means we are stuck w/ CoJack and Tracy on the corners- puke.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From the BA chat:

Q: Skip from Miami asks:
Sure - the Top 100 is all of 2 hours old, but your best guess as to 2008's Top 5?

A: Jim Callis: Jay Bruce, Cameron Maybin, Justin Upton, Andrew Miller, Andrew McCutchen. Got to love that 2005 crop of high school outfielders.

Q: Aaron from Green Bay, WI asks:
Thanks for the chat and top 100, love the Prospect Book. What are the expectations of former great prospects BJ Upton, Scott Hairston, Edwin Jackson, Joel Guzman, and Jason Kubel? Think any of these guys have a chance to break out?

A: Jim Callis: Of those guys, the only ones I still believe in much are Upton and Kubel. If Hairston doesn't make the Diamondbacks, he's out of options, and worth taking a shot on with a waiver claim.

Q: Bryant from Columbia, MO asks:
Hey Jim, I was wondering if Max Scherzer would have made this list had he signed by now, and if so, around where would he sit? Thanks

A: Jim Callis: Interesting. I think he would have made it, down in the 80s around fellow 2006 draftees Jeff Samardzija, Daniel Bard and Brandon Morrow.

Q: Bryant from Columbia, MO asks:
Hey Jim, what are the chances that Upton has a HUGE year this year in the California league, and moves himself into the top prospect discussion for next year?

A: Jim Callis: We'll go back to Bryant . . . I think very good. The Cal League obviously favors hitters, and Upton should realize by now that he can't just coast on his natural talent. He could easily have a huge year.

Q: JAYPERS from IL asks:
If you had to pick right now, who would you give the 2007 NL & AL ROY awards to?

A: Jim Callis: Chris Young and Daisuke Matsuzaka.
http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/features/263459.html

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
General Manager Josh Byrnes said the team has not made recent progress in contract talks with first-round draft choice Max Scherzer, a right-hander from Missouri.

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/sports/articles/0312dbnb0312.html

Crack of the Bat

by Patrick Ebert

Max Scherzer – Draft Wild Card

When scanning top prospect lists, unsigned first-rounder Max Scherzer, the 11th overall selection of the Arizona Diamondbacks from a year ago, does not appear. Most assume Scherzer will eventually sign with the D-Backs, as most players that remain under the control of the team that drafted them the year before do. Justin Upton, Mike Pelfrey, Stephen Drew, Jered Weaver and Adam Loewen are all recent, high draft picks that waited until the year after they were drafted to sign. Loewen’s case is different from the others in that he chose to attend Chipola Junior College where the Orioles continued to hold his rights and follow his progress as a draft and follow candidate.

One notable player did not sign: Luke Hochevar.

It’s important to point out that Hochevar’s situation was truly unique. After falling to the 40th overall selection in the 2005 draft due to signability concerns, Hochevar had reportedly switched to agent/advisor Matt Sosnick from his previous affiliation with Scott Boras. With Sosnick, Hochevar reportedly agreed to a contract with the Dodgers, only to switch back to Boras and therefore remained unsigned. The negotiations apparently got unfriendly, and no doubt that damage was too much for either side to overcome.

However, Hochevar went from a player that fell in 2005 due to signability concerns to a player the Royals plucked first overall in the 2006 draft due to his relative eagerness to sign for the money the Royals were willing to spend. Faced with financial concerns, the Royals deemed Andrew Miller’s reported bonus demands to be too rich for their blood, and inked Hochevar to a contract similar to what Mike Pelfrey, who along with Hochevar was considered one of the top college pitchers available for the 2005 draft, had received from the Mets eight months before.

I should point out that the money in question is far from pocket change, and according to recent reports, Scherzer is looking for the same kind of money that both Hochevar and Pelfrey received, and at this point in time it doesn’t appear as though the Diamondbacks are willing to give him that much money as the 11th overall selection. That may be good news for the Devil Rays and Royals, who have the first and second overall picks for the 2007 draft, both of which could definitely use a relatively polished arm like Scherzer’s.

However, the reason Hochevar came into play last year for the Royals was because of Andrew Miller’s aforementioned lofty bonus demands, and he did end up signing for more money than Hochevar did as the sixth overall pick of the Detroit Tigers. This became an option since Miller and Hochevar were not represented by the same advisor, nor were the other two candidates that were reportedly being considered for the first overall pick: Brad Lincoln and Tim Lincecum. Hochevar and his advisor, Scott Boras, recognized this opportunity and made the most of it, as the situation benefited both the player and the team, a win-win situation for everyone involved.

This year the situation may not allow for that, at least not as much. The three players generally regarded as the top three players available for the 2007 draft, David Price, Matt Wieters and Andrew Brackman, all reportedly may be advised by Boras this spring, and I’m sure no agent wants to use any of their representatives against one another for the purpose of negotiation.

Another reason why Scherzer may not sign is the departure of former D-Backs scouting director Mike Rizzo, who left the organization late last year to assume the role of Assistant General Manager and V.P. of Baseball Operations for the Washington Nationals. Rizzo is responsible for the Diamondbacks surge of talent in recent years, and didn’t shy away from the opportunity to draft and negotiate with both Stephen Drew and Justin Upton. New scouting director Tom Allison is working with General Manager Josh Byrnes in the negotiations to sign Scherzer, but again, the history just isn’t there as it was with Rizzo.

If it weren’t for a couple of relatively minor injury issues during the 2006 college baseball season, Scherzer would have been selected much higher. He entered the spring of 2006 as one of the top draft-eligible prospects available for last June’s draft, coming off of a sensational sophomore season in which he was named the Big 12 pitcher of the year and a very good summer campaign for Team USA in which he struck out 24 and walked only two in 20 innings of work. However, just before the start of the ’06 season, Scherzer slammed a car door on the middle finger of his pitching hand. Later in the spring he developed tendonitis in the biceps of his throwing arm, which caused him to miss a few of his schedule starts.

When Scherzer did pitch, he pitched very well. He appeared in 14 games, starting 13 of them, posting a 7-3 record with a 2.25 ERA. He continued to keep his walks down (23 in 80.1 innings), which was the biggest concern that lingered over him entering the 2006 season. Overall at Missouri he compiled a 16-8 record, a 2.48 ERA while allowing only 135 hits with 232 strikeouts in 206.2 innings of work. Add that production with his mid-90s heater that can approach triple digits as well as a knock-out slider, and you have a potential staff ace at any level.

Regardless if Scherzer signs with the Diamondbacks or decides to re-enter the draft, his name could become an interesting trivia answer, as a new rule instituted by Major League Baseball will require all drafted players to be signed by August 15th, approximately two months after the draft. In the meantime he is expected to follow in a similar path of Hochevar, Weaver and Drew, diligently working out in the off-season before he is expected to join an Independent League team to stay sharp while maintaining, if not improving, his draft stock.

http://www.perfectgame.org/crack_of_the_bat/patrick_ebert/07_03_02_max_scherzer_draft_wild_card/

Boras has to be posturing. There is a big difference between Hochevar and Scherzer. Obviously, Hochevar is the better pitcher with a good pitcher's frame (6'5'', 205) and durable injury record. On the other hand, Scherzer has two good pitches a decent frame (6'2'', 210) and had bicep tendinitis.

Something that makes me think that Boras is posturing is the fact that rules (as the second article stated) for the draft will aid the organizations in coming years. This is the most leverage that Boras will ever have with Max.

Regardless, the asking price of around $3.5-$5 million is way too much. Scherzer was no where near the best pitching prospect from the 2006 draft. If he does re-enter the draft, he will not be the first player selected and, therefore, cannot logically expect anywhere near that type of money. He might have to settle for around $2.5-$3 million. I seriously doubt that LHP David Price will not be the first pitcher taken and he still will not reach a $5 million signing bonus. Then, Max needs to beat out Jake Arrieta and Andrew Brackman as the first right-handed pitcher taken.

If Scherzer does not accept a contract, it would not be the end of the world. This upcoming draft is very deep in high-ceiling high school pitchers. Many good players could fall to the D'backs, including college position players.

In a nut shell, I believe Boras and the D'backs will get something worked out, for better or for worse. However, I imagine Boras will take it down to the wire again in order to squeeze out as much cash as is humanly possible.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BA Chat:
Q: John from Harrisonburg, VA asks:
What does the season seem to hold for Alberto Callaspo? The Diamondbacks are playing him often in Spring Training, and he's hitting. Will he make the big-league squad, and if he does, will he play?

A:
Matt Meyers: It is looking more and more likely that he will make the club. I don't see him as a regular on a championship club, but I think he is a fantastic utility guy. He can play almost anywhere, he is impossible to strike out which makes him ideal as a pinch-hitter because not only is he a good situational hitter, but he is great at getting on base as evidenced by his career .370 OBP. He will get 250-300 at-bats as a part-time starter and utility guy and he is good enough that he won't kill you if he has to fill in for an injured player for an extended period. In the NL these guys have fantastic value as they make double switching easy.

Q: Mick from Chicago asks:
Does Stephen Drew have the defensive ability to be a gold glover? I know he has had some leg strains and pulls but should that put a halt to his ability to steal bases like he did so well in college?

A:
Matt Meyers: Probably not a Gold Glover, but he is a capable defender and his bat will make up for any defensive deficiencies. As for basestealing, I doubt he is ever going to return to his college days. He has eight swipes as a professional, so I don't think Tony Womack's club record of 182 steals in is danger. At least not in Drew's case.
http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/features/263591.html

azfan

Reaction score
Kolbergs back

Hey my buddies at camp said Kolberg is back at spring training and doing good. Any comments?

nathan

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey my buddies at camp said Kolberg is back at spring training and doing good. Any comments?

Hopefully he's got his head on straight. Missing a year can't be good for his development. In '05, he pitched better than Ohlendorf and Jackson and now they're both going to be in AAA (albeit for the Yankees).

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn