Does Keim Have The Guts to Trade Up In the First Round?

Sun Devil Mania

Veteran
Reaction score
It takes a lot of guts to trade up in the first round. It costs a lot to jump from 15 to the 6 - 10 range. The way I look at it ....... No Risk it, No Biscuit. The Rams took a chance and gave up a lot to get Goff. The Eagles took a risk and gave up a lot to move up to get Wentz. This is a quarterback rich draft at the top of the draft. It's the perfect draft for Keim to take the risk and do what it takes to move up to get one of the big four. Playing it safe and not giving up much draft capital, probably provides more years to Keim's job security. He knows it and therefore won't do what it takes to move up. I don't believe he has the guts! We will be looking for our QBOF for many years to come!

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It depends who is available and where

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

pinetopred

Registered
Reaction score
It doesn't take guts it takes belief that a certain guy can be a difference maker. Which one of the top 4 should he move up for? I say 2 or 3 of these guys aren't worth the draft capital to make the kind of move your talking about JMO

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
No way in hell I would move up to where the top guys are. First off the price from 15 is just not reasonable at all, and more importantly none of them is worth it. If Mayfield fell out of the top ten I would feel different, other than that no way. Rosen, Darnold and especially Allen are all this years version of a Heath Shuler / Brandon Weeden love child. And lemme tell ya, that ain’t pretty.
I would be entirely more interested in trading for Deshon Kizer type from last years class for some reasonable price. I would actually take CJ Beathard over all of the QBs except Mayfield. But, you know me. I’m a bit crazy.

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
SK does have the 'guts' to move up. But it won't be in this draft or for one of the 'top' QBs. The only player who will transcend this class is RB Barkley and we already have a rising star at RB.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Depends

It's unlikely.

If Rosen was available still at 8 or 9 I would do it. Not sure if Keim would though, and I'm not sure he would be there.

don7031

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
He moved up successfully to get Baker last year. That could embolden him to make a similar move this year.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
SK does have the 'guts' to move up. But it won't be in this draft or for one of the 'top' QBs. The only player who will transcend this class is RB Barkley and we already have a rising star at RB.

I say Barkley might not be an every down back... I say he is talented but not exactly what people might think

pinetopred

Registered
Reaction score
What? I directly answered the question in the thread title.
Wasn't directed completely at your comment but it easy IMO to say Keim doesn't have the guts for a big move up who are we gonna move up to get I guess I was just questioning the origanal post also give me a name worth moving up for I don't think Keim lacks the testicular fortitude to do so but let's move to the top 5 for who? Oh hell let's just move up and take whoever is available so Keim can get his balls back LMAO

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I love the concept on this board that it's somehow Keim not having "the guts" or "the balls" to move up for a QB, like he's afraid of cliff jumping to impress a girl in Ensenada. Like it's some indictment of him as a man.

In reality, he'd be smart - the franchise would be smart - not to panic and give up the future for an unknown guy when all of the evidence shows how much of a disaster it's always been for teams. There's some serious penis envy going on here. Goff shows himself to be halfway adequate and suddenly, some of the fanbase wants to trade away our own equivalent to Gurley to just get any young guy that throws the ball. All while ignoring that Goff's production is 1/3rd Gurley.

That's a bit of a tangent, but more guys have lost their careers than have kept them while betting big on QB trades. I want a QB to lead us into the future as much as anyone, but pretending that blind courage is better than putting in the work and making an educated decision is ridiculous.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
He moved up successfully to get Baker last year. That could embolden him to make a similar move this year.

That's a lot different than moving up from the mid-first to the top end of the first.

We have no evidence that he does, and we may never have it.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
It takes a lot of guts to trade up in the first round. It costs a lot to jump from 15 to the 6 - 10 range. The way I look at it ....... No Risk it, No Biscuit. The Rams took a chance and gave up a lot to get Goff. The Eagles took a risk and gave up a lot to move up to get Wentz. This is a quarterback rich draft at the top of the draft. It's the perfect draft for Keim to take the risk and do what it takes to move up to get one of the big four. Playing it safe and not giving up much draft capital, probably provides more years to Keim's job security. He knows it and therefore won't do what it takes to move up. I don't believe he has the guts! We will be looking for our QBOF for many years to come!
we beat this topic up a month ago, lol.

IMO... trade ups are expensive..so if you are gonna do it then do it right... buy the #1 pick...it costs more, but you control your results...

I might be biased because I want Sam Darnold and he aint likely to be there at 5

But Keim wont even trade up to five..... the biggest trade I could see him risking would be 8-10...and that only if his guy is on the board... not "A" guy, but "his" guy

if allen is "his" guy and on the board at 5...he would let denver pick him rather than pay for the 5 pick...or he would wait to see if allen was still on the board at 8 and try a trade with da bears

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I love the concept on this board that it's somehow Keim not having "the guts" or "the balls" to move up for a QB, like he's afraid of cliff jumping to impress a girl in Ensenada. Like it's some indictment of him as a man.

In reality, he'd be smart - the franchise would be smart - not to panic and give up the future for an unknown guy when all of the evidence shows how much of a disaster it's always been for teams. There's some serious penis envy going on here. Goff shows himself to be halfway adequate and suddenly, some of the fanbase wants to trade away our own equivalent to Gurley to just get any young guy that throws the ball. All while ignoring that Goff's production is 1/3rd Gurley.

That's a bit of a tangent, but more guys have lost their careers than have kept them while betting big on QB trades. I want a QB to lead us into the future as much as anyone, but pretending that blind courage is better than putting in the work and making an educated decision is ridiculous.

Was he smart to not trade up last year?

I would be feeling a hell of a lot better with Deshaun watson or Mahomes right about now - and I was in favor of moving up for them last year.

POISON

Formerly known as Okieguy
Reaction score
No way in hell I would move up to where the top guys are. First off the price from 15 is just not reasonable at all, and more importantly none of them is worth it. If Mayfield fell out of the top ten I would feel different, other than that no way. Rosen, Darnold and especially Allen are all this years version of a Heath Shuler / Brandon Weeden love child. And lemme tell ya, that ain’t pretty.
I would be entirely more interested in trading for Deshon Kizer type from last years class for some reasonable price. I would actually take CJ Beathard over all of the QBs except Mayfield. But, you know me. I’m a bit crazy.
You are crazy, Beathard was awful at Iowa. If he makes a scout team I'd be shocked.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Was he smart to not trade up last year?

I would be feeling a hell of a lot better with Deshaun watson or Mahomes right about now - and I was in favor of moving up for them last year.
hell...most of us were in favor of picking Carr right where we sat a couple years back

funny how the fans can see we need a guy but somehow the "professionals" cant seam to see it

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave