Does Giants Meltdown Eclipse Ours vs Bears?

Osbern61

Insomniac
Reaction score
I think so. Giants had a worse opponent, worse mistakes, and a bigger lead. After thinking about it, if I were a giants fan, I would be sicker than I was that Monday night. Maybe this game will help get the media's attention off of our bad loss, which was still coming up all to often.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes as bad as ours was. Theirs is by far worse. We lost to a team many consider the best in football.

The Giants are considered Playoff caliber and lost to a team that isnt looked at as very good overall. They were up 21 with about 9 minutes to go.

They certainly eclipsed our performace!

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Giants was worse. At least it could be argued that the Bears stepped up to make big plays and benefited from some good bounces of the ball. The Giants made a couple of incredibly bone-headed plays in their defeat.

BigRedFan

Registered
Reaction score
The game should have been over on the 4th down sack. All I can think of is that the Giant player thought Young was in the grasp and didnt want to risk a roughing penalty.

CardinalChris

Big Man Himself
Reaction score
Seriously? I'd take a collapse to a worse team (that actually has been playing pretty well despite their record) over losing a game in the last 12 minutes we were ahead three scores, had gotten 6 turnovers, and the team did it without an offensive touchdown. I can honestly say that was the only time I have ever been sheepish and embarrassed to be a Cardinal's fan. And that is saying something.

SeaChicken

The Other Bird
Reaction score
The Bears/Cardinals meltdown was FAAAAAAR worse. Why? Because the world was watching in primetime. And it wasn't just that they were watching, it was WHAT they were watching. I mean, the lowly Titans (who nobody is thinking about) rally back against the up and down Giants. Newsworthy? Sure.

But is it more newsworthy than the hapless Cardinals who everyone is juuuust about to write off once again come out and are straight KICKIN THE SNOT out of Goliath... a.k.a. the undefeated Bears. Now THAT'S news. The Giants/Titans would be like De La Hoya getting dropped for a KO against Arturo Gatti after having dominated the entire fight. Interesting? Certainly. But the Cards/Bears match would be like Butterbean beating the everlovin' tar out of Mike Tyson in his prime. And just when everyone in America had tuned in to see the unthinkable, Tyson roars back, pulls fat boy's pants around his ankles and reminds him who he is.

Seriously, the Giants/Titans thing is fresh but in one month, ask someone what they think the worst meltdown all year was. No contest.

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
The Bears/Cardinals meltdown was FAAAAAAR worse. Why? Because the world was watching in primetime. And it wasn't just that they were watching, it was WHAT they were watching. I mean, the lowly Titans (who nobody is thinking about) rally back against the up and down Giants. Newsworthy? Sure.

But is it more newsworthy than the hapless Cardinals who everyone is juuuust about to write off once again come out and are straight KICKIN THE SNOT out of Goliath... a.k.a. the undefeated Bears. Now THAT'S news. The Giants/Titans would be like De La Hoya getting dropped for a KO against Arturo Gatti after having dominated the entire fight. Interesting? Certainly. But the Cards/Bears match would be like Butterbean beating the everlovin' tar out of Mike Tyson in his prime. And just when everyone in America had tuned in to see the unthinkable, Tyson roars back, pulls fat boy's pants around his ankles and reminds him who he is.

Seriously, the Giants/Titans thing is fresh but in one month, ask someone what they think the worst meltdown all year was. No contest.

yup

Denny Green Fan

Registered
Reaction score
I was waiting for Coughlin to say the Titans are who we thought they were at his press conference

Wild Card

Surfin' Bird
Reaction score
The game should have been over on the 4th down sack. All I can think of is that the Giant player thought Young was in the grasp and didnt want to risk a roughing penalty.

BRF:

Close. In a post-game interview, Giants rookie Mathias Kiwanuka claimed that he thought Vince Young had gotten rid of the ball and didn't want to be flagged for a late hit (which would've given the Titans 15 yards and a first down). Devastating mistake, when simply taking Young to the ground would've sealed a Giants win.

WC

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Also, the Giants were missing 7 starters. SEVEN! The Cards were playing at full strength against the Bears.

gusmahler

Registered
Reaction score
The Giants' defense allowed four scores in the 4th quarter. The Cards defense allowed none.

Not sure if that makes the Cards situation better or worse . . .

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Giants' defense allowed four scores in the 4th quarter. The Cards defense allowed none.

Not sure if that makes the Cards situation better or worse . . .

Well, both sides of the ball didn't melt down like the Giants did. In fact, our offense even drove on the Bears to set up a game-winning FG which our kicker shanked. Our loss was much more unusual and memorable, that I will agree with.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, both sides of the ball didn't melt down like the Giants did. In fact, our offense even drove on the Bears to set up a game-winning FG which our kicker shanked. Our loss was much more unusual and memorable, that I will agree with.

Nothing about a Cards loss is unusual.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nothing about a Cards loss is unusual.

Wrong on that count. Even the Cardinals had never lost a game when they were plus 4 in turnovers and held the opposing offense to three points. I seriously doubt I'll ever see anything close to that again in my lifetime.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wrong on that count. Even the Cardinals had never lost a game when they were plus 4 in turnovers and held the opposing offense to three points. I seriously doubt I'll ever see anything close to that again in my lifetime.

Nah, The Cards are notorious in finding new ways to lose. It doesn't surprise me all that much.

AzCards21

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
The Monday night game was worse because it happened to us. I don't really care if the Giants win or lose so no emotional attachment.

SeaChicken

The Other Bird
Reaction score
I gotta tell ya, for that time while you guys were spankin' the Bears, I was downright jealous. They simply had no answer for the but kickin' you guys were puttin' down.

The Cardinals are a young team at the key spots. I think that was a glimpse of what the Cards can be once they mature.

CardinalChris

Big Man Himself
Reaction score
The Cardinals are a young team at the key spots. I think that was a glimpse of what the Cards can be once they mature.

A Lot like Seattle 4-5 years ago? There is something to be said for teams that "grow-up" together becoming very, very good. Carolina, Indy, Seattle, New England all grew up about the same time they began to win.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
Considering Green's crown their ass speech as the icing and the perennial punch line the Cardinals organization is, nothing in the history of meltdowns will ever eclipse that one.

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Giants/Titans was a comeback by the Titans. Titans fought for and earned that win.
Cards/Bears was a meltdown. Cardinals fought for and earned that loss.

Big comebacks happen all the time. It's not very often you see something like what happened on that terrible Monday.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Nah, The Cards are notorious in finding new ways to lose.

You mean like blowing a 16 point lead with 8:19 to play against the 49ers who were the worst team in the NFL in 2004.

The Cards gave up TWO 2 point conversions and lost in overtime when Dockett was called for a penalty after having apparently stopped SF on an incomplete 3rd down pass.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson