Does back to back 1st rounders make our guys easier or harder to sign?

Lomax to Green 84

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Now the single most important thing regardless of who we sign now approaches in the next 3 months: Can we sign all of our guys and get them in on time?

Does the fact that we have 2 guys back to back enhance our chances of getting them signed or does it hurt? Will the Cards hold to their linemen must sign 5 year deals (Pace) but skill position guys can get 4 year deals (Johnson)? If so, we could see a long holdout from Pace.

FrontRow

Binge Drinker
Reaction score
You are talking about the Cards, any 1st rounder will be impossible to sign. Now he have twice the problem.

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
You'd have to think it would be easier at least for Pace.
I still think the Vikings are going to screw us somehow...

Houdini

Registered
Reaction score
Years ago the Packers had back to back picks in the first round. I forget the exact number, but let's pretend 17 and 18. The Packers offered them both the same exact amount of money by splitting the difference and offering them both 17.5 money because they said they could have drafted either one at 17. The guy at 17 got ticked and said he should have gotten 17 money. I think they still signed them both at 17.5 money and got them in on time, but there was some haggling over it.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by SECTION 11
You'd have to think it would be easier at least for Pace.
I still think the Vikings are going to screw us somehow...

In theory it's a lot easier because the signing bonuses are so much lower.

Buchanon got 5 years 7 million last year at 17. I can't find Duckett's terms immediately at 18 but let's assume it's a similar deal that's about 1.4 million per player.

Sims got 6 years 16.8 million with a 2 tiered 9.75 million bonus when he finally signed with KC last year as the 6th pick.

So without knowing what bonuses Buchanon and Duckett got we can guess it's not going to add up to what it would take to have signed anybody picked at 6. You can guess we save about 3 million over the lives of the contracts and probably more than that in signing bonus by moving down.

That should make it easier for us to sign our picks.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
As long as 16 and 19 are signed, it will create the slots for them to fit into (I hate slotting) so I think it will get done. MIN has certaibnly screwed themselves moneywise and like Sec 11 says, I hope what they do doesn't screw up the works too badly.

Pace I think has got to feel lucky and may not rock the negotiating boat too much. He KNEW going into the draft he wasn't going first round so I think he will feel fortunate to be talking about more zeros on his deal...but I don't think he will do the Cards any favors either.

If the Cards don't have BOTH in camp on time, it will be a disaster on several levels.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by AZCB34
As long as 16 and 19 are signed, it will create the slots for them to fit into (I hate slotting) so I think it will get done. MIN has certaibnly screwed themselves moneywise and like Sec 11 says, I hope what they do doesn't screw up the works too badly.

Pace I think has got to feel lucky and may not rock the negotiating boat too much. He KNEW going into the draft he wasn't going first round so I think he will feel fortunate to be talking about more zeros on his deal...but I don't think he will do the Cards any favors either.

If the Cards don't have BOTH in camp on time, it will be a disaster on several levels.

Yeah but we all thought that with ANthony Bell, Clyde Duncan and Kelly Stouffer too and none of them were so happy to be drafted in round one that they were easy to sign.

The irony here is if you work out the overall cost it's actually cheaper per YEAR to draft at 6 than at 17 and 18(based on last year). But where the cost comes in is the upfront signing bonus. pretty obvious to me that's why we moved down we figured our must have players are gone so why spend the signing bonus on a #6 pick?

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by Russ Smith
Yeah but we all thought that with ANthony Bell, Clyde Duncan and Kelly Stouffer too and none of them were so happy to be drafted in round one that they were easy to sign.

Like I said, I don't expect Pace to do the cards any favors but he may be more willing to budge a bit if needed...because he never expected to be in this position.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by Dback Jon
Who are their agents? (Johnson and Pace)

Who are the agents who hate the Cards the most. That is likely who their agents are. Cards luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard