Doctor Who

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK, update. Half a season down and I don't like Capalidi. He is short tempered, lacks compassion and comes off like a crotchety old man. This might be the first time I have liked a companion more than the lead actor playing the Doctor.

This is also probably the least amount of fun I have had in a single season watching the show since it's return. It's a shame because I love Jenna Coleman.

I really thought that those traits were going to be temporary. It's clear they weren't. He's gone from quirky and confused to that guy at the senior center that no one can stand. This is a very tough season to enjoy. What a waste of my favorite companion.

Steve

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really thought that those traits were going to be temporary. It's clear they weren't. He's gone from quirky and confused to that guy at the senior center that no one can stand. This is a very tough season to enjoy. What a waste of my favorite companion.

Steve

:lmao:

I am glad I am not the only one that noticed that. 100% with you regarding Jenna. Seems like an absolute waste.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I'm loving it so far, and I think Capaldi is really fleshing out a fantastic character. A far different Doctor than most people are used to, for sure. He reminds me a bit of the bi-polar Ecclestone (sp?), who was my favorite Doctor to date. I like the different direction they've gone with him, but I understand it will not be most people's cup of tea.

Funny enough, because I really couldn't stand much of the Matt Smith stuff, and others seemed to love it. Ah well. I doubt Capaldi plays many seasons, if he even goes for more than one.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm loving it so far, and I think Capaldi is really fleshing out a fantastic character. A far different Doctor than most people are used to, for sure. He reminds me a bit of the bi-polar Ecclestone (sp?), who was my favorite Doctor to date. I like the different direction they've gone with him, but I understand it will not be most people's cup of tea.

Funny enough, because I really couldn't stand much of the Matt Smith stuff, and others seemed to love it. Ah well. I doubt Capaldi plays many seasons, if he even goes for more than one.

Here is the difference for me. Several Doctors have struggled with their identity. CE was great because he was struggling to re-assimilate after being gone for so long (which matched the show returning). He was tortured from the time wars. That all seemed organic.

This version? Cranky, crotchety, short tempered and lacking any compassion. Now there is this stupid hatred for soldiers thing. It's all really annoying and unnecessary.

Actually I think I am more pissed at the writers for writing him in a stereotypical OLD MAN type way the way AzStevenCal pointed out. Why not make him the older wise owl and father figure type?

Please let him regenerate soon.

Heucrazy

Pretty Prince of Parties
Reaction score
I really don't like Clara. I think Capaldi is getting a bad rap because she actually brings down the show. Worst companion since Mickey IMO.

I also don't get your guys Matt Smith hate. He was my favorite Doctor.

Smith
Tennant
Eccelstein
Capaldi

As for companions:

Amy and Rory
River
Rose
Donna
Martha
Clara
Mickey

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think Capaldi does three seasons at least.

He is a HUUUUUUGE who fan. Dude drew fan art and submitted it online. He won't leave early...this is a dream role for the guy.

And I like him, a lot.

And I still miss the Ponds.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really don't like Clara. I think Capaldi is getting a bad rap because she actually brings down the show. Worst companion since Mickey IMO.

Capaldi is getting a bad rap because he is coming off like a cranky, mean spirited version of the Doctor. Clara is the only reason to watch this season.

don7031

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Capaldi is almost unwatchable. A twenty one hundred year old time lord that behaves like six year old child who needs to put in time out at some point in every episode doesn't work for me.

Heucrazy

Pretty Prince of Parties
Reaction score
This episode was almost as bad as the Robin Hood one. Clara needs to go. Capaldi would work with River or Rose. He just doesn't work with her. Matt Smith did but Capaldi doesn't. I hope they figure it out soon.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Capaldi is hilarious. There were several times in Listen where he was hilarious. He and Clara are chippy and I love it.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Clara was the only thing redeemable about this episode. She is too good for this show. A moon hatching? The kid having a "spray" that happened to kill the spider thing?

Capaldi....being a MEGA D@#* once again? Ohhhh....the horror.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK, who watched the last episode? This is crashing and burning. Once AGAIN Capaldi came off like a complete jerk. Once again, Clara was the only highlight. Her exchange with the Doctor at the end was some of the best stuff they have given her in some time.

The moon is an egg. The creatures are simply protecting it. The little girl happened to have a spray bottle in her backpack to avoid death. It conveniently lays a replacement moon at the end. There as this emotional turmoil about should they kill or it not but it wasn't the Doctor's decision (which appears to be a thinly veiled parallel to the abortion issue IMO).

Wow....just wow. The writing is horrendous. Considering how far this show has come from the stereotypical bad science fiction writing....this entire season feels like a gigantic step backwards to me. I am hoping beyond hope some of the remaining episodes are good.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
OK, who watched the last episode? This is crashing and burning. Once AGAIN Capaldi came off like a complete jerk. Once again, Clara was the only highlight. Her exchange with the Doctor at the end was some of the best stuff they have given her in some time.

The moon is an egg. The creatures are simply protecting it. The little girl happened to have a spray bottle in her backpack to avoid death. It conveniently lays a replacement moon at the end. There as this emotional turmoil about should they kill or it not but it wasn't the Doctor's decision (which appears to be a thinly veiled parallel to the abortion issue IMO).

Wow....just wow. The writing is horrendous. Considering how far this show has come from the stereotypical bad science fiction writing....this entire season feels like a gigantic step backwards to me. I am hoping beyond hope some of the remaining episodes are good.

While I very much disagree with you about the season at large, the moon episode was a huge bust, no doubt.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure, but I don't think that DarenG likes Capaldi's Doctor.

I will make sure that I make it more clear next post. :D

Actually, I think my problem might be more with the writing versus the actor himself. If they didn't make him such an obnoxious, cranky, spiteful Doctor...he actually might be decent.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mummy on the orient express wasn't bad. It's actually one of the better episodes I have seen this season. I hate all this foreshadowing of Clara leaving the show though. It means I have to put up with Capaldi long after she is gone.

Heucrazy

Pretty Prince of Parties
Reaction score
Mummy on the orient express wasn't bad. It's actually one of the better episodes I have seen this season. I hate all this foreshadowing of Clara leaving the show though. It means I have to put up with Capaldi long after she is gone.

Mummy and Listen were the two episodes this season that Clara and Capaldi worked well together. They didn't write Capaldi to be overly cranky and they didn't try and make Clara the focal point. Those two episodes are saving the season for me.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Go figure. My favorite episode of the year so far and Clara was running the show with Capaldi stuck in the mini-Tardis. Loved the swipes she took about being the Doctor. It was actually a fun episode.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
I don't mind the new doctor I just don't like how he is cranky for no real reason. I think it would be good for the show if something tragic happened to Cara so that the doctor's crankiness will at least have a reason and some merit behind it.

Heucrazy

Pretty Prince of Parties
Reaction score
Go figure. My favorite episode of the year so far and Clara was running the show with Capaldi stuck in the mini-Tardis. Loved the swipes she took about being the Doctor. It was actually a fun episode.

I really liked this one. I wouldn't say it's even close to "listen" for being the best of the season, but it was really good.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really liked this one. I wouldn't say it's even close to "listen" for being the best of the season, but it was really good.

Oh...I almost forgot about that one. Again, that was another Clara heavy episode. I agree that episode was also good. Reminded me of Steven Moffat's old writing when the show returned. His episodes were always eerie and some of my favorites.

Heucrazy

Pretty Prince of Parties
Reaction score
It's getting better. They really toned down the "cranky," with the Doctor and it worked. I like the angry Scot but the cranky old man needs to stay away.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
It's getting better. They really toned down the "cranky," with the Doctor and it worked. I like the angry Scot but the cranky old man needs to stay away.

I agree. I thought the 'personality' of the doctor in this episode was the best so far this season.

Heucrazy

Pretty Prince of Parties
Reaction score
I really liked this last one as well. I think the writers have finally figured out how to write Capaldi correctly.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson