Doctor Who

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Wow, can't believe there aren't any threads on this out there. I must confess, I am not posting about the original series as I haven't seen them yet.

The modern BBC series, though...WOW. Yes, some of the effects are hokey, but other effects are downright incredible. The acting is superb, and many of the episodes are incredibly well done. It's also masterful in that, though it is a show about time travel and therefore has an ease of jumping from one episode to another without necessary cohesion, it keeps recurring themes and characters at a pleasant rate.

I'm currently watching Series 3 online now. They're coming out every week, and later on the episodes appear online on various sites. Marvelous, simply marvelous. I hope they keep on making at least several more series, because this show is probably the best thing going right now, even slightly better than the Tudors. Certainly waaay better than the trash that is network TV any more.

JasonKGME

I'm a uncle's monkey??
Reaction score
Wow, can't believe there aren't any threads on this out there. I must confess, I am not posting about the original series as I haven't seen them yet.

The modern BBC series, though...WOW. Yes, some of the effects are hokey, but other effects are downright incredible. The acting is superb, and many of the episodes are incredibly well done. It's also masterful in that, though it is a show about time travel and therefore has an ease of jumping from one episode to another without necessary cohesion, it keeps recurring themes and characters at a pleasant rate.

I'm currently watching Series 3 online now. They're coming out every week, and later on the episodes appear online on various sites. Marvelous, simply marvelous. I hope they keep on making at least several more series, because this show is probably the best thing going right now, even slightly better than the Tudors. Certainly waaay better than the trash that is network TV any more.

If you aren't a fan of the original series you probably don't realize that the hokey special effects are made that way on purpose, the show was a little tongue in cheek of sci fi shows. I started watching back in 1977 during the Tom Baker era and LOVED the show all the way until the show originally ended in 1989, I tried watching the new episodes back in 1996, but the acting was attrotious and the show didn't even make it a whole year, they tried to take the campiness out of the show and they failed miserably. If you like this Dr. Who, try getting ahold of some of the Tom Baker & Peter Davidson episodes, they were my two favorite.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
If you aren't a fan of the original series you probably don't realize that the hokey special effects are made that way on purpose, the show was a little tongue in cheek of sci fi shows. I started watching back in 1977 during the Tom Baker era and LOVED the show all the way until the show originally ended in 1989, I tried watching the new episodes back in 1996, but the acting was attrotious and the show didn't even make it a whole year, they tried to take the campiness out of the show and they failed miserably. If you like this Dr. Who, try getting ahold of some of the Tom Baker & Peter Davidson episodes, they were my two favorite.

It's not that I'm not a fan, it's just that I haven't had the time or opportunity to get to the originals yet. I knew that some of the hokey effects were throwbacks, the Daleks and that little dog thing in particular. I don't mind it in the least.

The new episodes in 1996--is that something different? You don't mean the Christopher Eccleston (sp?) episodes, do you? Series 1-3 have been fabulously acted and has taken the BBC by storm. I'll check, but I think I'm just missing a failed attempt at the show back in the 90's.

Edit: Yep, checked it out, and that 1996 thing was just an aberration. Have you tried the new show? Bangin', I tell ya.

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have watched the new show and I love it. I don't think the hokey special effects from the originals were a product of them doing it on purpose as much as a product of budget. The budget was really pathetic for the original show. I watched an interview with the head of the BBC talking about how the landscape of British TV has changed and how it would impact the new show. The BBC has gotten huge and they can afford to properly fund first run programs much better then they could before. The special effects in the new Who series were updated because they had to be.

The new show really is very good. Especially if you are a Who fan. I had my doubts about it but I am hooked on that show now. We have to wait months after it airs over there to see it here. It bites. I am impatient so I um......go through alternate "channels" to see the show which airs every Saturday over there. I also like the new spin-off called Torchwood. Again. the British sense of humor and style takes some getting used to. However, if you can get pass that, Who is good sci-fi.

When [SIZE=-1]Christopher Eccleston agreed to do Who it was a bit of a surprised. He was a film guy not a TV guy. Much bigger in film in Britain then anything else. They wanted to relaunch it in a big way. I think him leaving was planned all along at any rate. Now with David Tennant taking over the part he has made it his own. He makes a good doctor.

The tone is very much the same as I remember from the Tom Baker era. Lot's of humor mixed in with some good sci-fi story telling. However, the writing is much better this time around. A good combination of different types of stories.

PS Tom Baker was always my favorite but Tom didn't even have the quality of writing and special effects the show has now. Then again Tom Baker was around during a time before STNG and expectations were much lower then for small budget sci-fi.
[/SIZE]

Last edited:
OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Who has seen the first episode from Season Four? I very much enjoyed the episode, but I can't say I'm thrilled with the new companion. I like that it's supposed to be a platonic thing for sure now, but she just doesn't seem to have the same kind of panache that Rose and Martha seemed to have. I don't mind that she's not very attractive, but the character strikes me as too blase. Oh well. Good episode, and we'll see where it goes from there.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who has seen the first episode from Season Four? I very much enjoyed the episode, but I can't say I'm thrilled with the new companion. I like that it's supposed to be a platonic thing for sure now, but she just doesn't seem to have the same kind of panache that Rose and Martha seemed to have. I don't mind that she's not very attractive, but the character strikes me as too blase. Oh well. Good episode, and we'll see where it goes from there.

I agree. She is irritating too. I don't like her much. I know that Rose & Martha are suppose to make multi-episode stints. Hopefully, that tides me over until they get rid of her.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Excellent episode and yet another ingenious idea. Of course, I still can't get over the new companion. Honestly, I don't even remember her name. She had about thiiiiis much *holding fingers an inch apart* good stuff, and the rest was simply annoying. Oh well. As long as the episodes stay good, I'll be okay. I guess you can't have it all, especially after Rose and Martha.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Excellent episode and yet another ingenious idea. Of course, I still can't get over the new companion. Honestly, I don't even remember her name. She had about thiiiiis much *holding fingers an inch apart* good stuff, and the rest was simply annoying. Oh well. As long as the episodes stay good, I'll be okay. I guess you can't have it all, especially after Rose and Martha.

I so agree. You know the other thing that bothers me is she is not in great shape either. Did you see that pathetic attempt at running? I don't know about you but if I am the Doctor and running from danger, I am leaving her bum behind.

:moon:

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
I so agree. You know the other thing that bothers me is she is not in great shape either. Did you see that pathetic attempt at running? I don't know about you but if I am the Doctor and running from danger, I am leaving her bum behind.

:moon:

lol Yeah, I don't mind her not being hot like the others, but at least be fit. You kind of have to be for the show.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
lol Yeah, I don't mind her not being hot like the others, but at least be fit. You kind of have to be for the show.

Exactly. Hot lava running my way... I see salvation in the Tardis or do I wait for out of shape companion girl?!?!

Mmmmm.... Sorry, I just get me a new companion later.

:thud:

Tom Baker is still my favorite but I really like David T. Probably my second favorite now.

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anybody just see the Doctors Daughter? She was hot.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Season four is really, really topping everything else. This show has evolved into what I think is truly exceptional television. The two episodes in the library (not sure if it has hit the air over here--I watch at sidereel) might be my favorites, and the one after was awesome too. The Agatha Christie ep was quality too.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised this show has dropped off the radar here. I stopped watching early on because the seasons were just too expensive. Now, however, the entire first 5 season run (of the current incarnation) is available on Netflix and we had a blast watching all 72 episodes (69 episodes plus 3 David Tennant specials that weren't included in the Netflix selection). Anybody still watching this stuff? I'd have to say, Amy Pond is my favorite companion and surprisingly enough, the current doctor is holding his own with Eccleston and Tennant.

Steve

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised this show has dropped off the radar here. I stopped watching early on because the seasons were just too expensive. Now, however, the entire first 5 season run (of the current incarnation) is available on Netflix and we had a blast watching all 72 episodes (69 episodes plus 3 David Tennant specials that weren't included in the Netflix selection). Anybody still watching this stuff? I'd have to say, Amy Pond is my favorite companion and surprisingly enough, the current doctor is holding his own with Eccleston and Tennant.

Steve

I am still a loyal watcher of the show. I have not really cared much for the companions since Rose. However, Amy Pond is awesome and now one of my all time favorites as well. Sucks that she probably won't be back. Just read an article that she is already signed on to another UK show. BBC is having financial problems and expected to cut budget. Sounds like Matt Smith is the only one returning after the current "canned" episodes run. They are also splitting the next season as well between 2012 and 2013. Going to be a long gaps between episodes the next couple years.

In terms of Matt Smith. He doesn't stand up to Tennant IMO. Not even close. I was a huge Tom Baker fan and no doctor since then has deserved a lofty place on that mantel until David. David and Tom Baker are head and shoulders above the rest IMO. I would say that Matt Smith's take on the character is so different though. Similar to Eccleston's angry doctor approach...it's different. I think it's fair to compare those two for sure. I like the different approach. I was a bit surprised at Matt Smith because I wasn't expecting much.

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am still a loyal watcher of the show. I have not really cared much for the companions since Rose. However, Amy Pond is awesome and now one of my all time favorites as well. Sucks that she probably won't be back. Just read an article that she is already signed on to another UK show. BBC is having financial problems and expected to cut budget. Sounds like Matt Smith is the only one returning after the current "canned" episodes run. They are also splitting the next season as well between 2012 and 2013. Going to be a long gaps between episodes the next couple years.

In terms of Matt Smith. He doesn't stand up to Tennant IMO. Not even close. I was a huge Tom Baker fan and no doctor since then has deserved a lofty place on that mantel until David. David and Tom Baker are head and shoulders above the rest IMO. I would say that Matt Smith's take on the character is so different though. Similar to Eccleston's angry doctor approach...it's different. I think it's fair to compare those two for sure. I like the different approach. I was a bit surprised at Matt Smith because I wasn't expecting much.

I've watched a dozen episodes or so through the years but I never really got into the series until the Russell T Davies version. I was sad to see him leave the show and like everyone else, I'm concerned about their budget issues. It's been such a great run I'd hate to see it end.

As for Matt Smith, I was surprised at how easy it was to accept him as the Doctor. It took me a full season before I could completely adjust to Tennant as I really liked the way Eccleston played the role but I was fine with Matt from the beginning. I'd agree that Tennant went on to great things in this series but I think Matt has equaled him at this point in his Who career. Still, without Davies, we may not see episodes and story arcs with as much power as the The End Of Time had which might ultimately keep Smith from reaching Tennant's level.

Steve

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've watched a dozen episodes or so through the years but I never really got into the series until the Russell T Davies version. I was sad to see him leave the show and like everyone else, I'm concerned about their budget issues. It's been such a great run I'd hate to see it end.

As for Matt Smith, I was surprised at how easy it was to accept him as the Doctor. It took me a full season before I could completely adjust to Tennant as I really liked the way Eccleston played the role but I was fine with Matt from the beginning. I'd agree that Tennant went on to great things in this series but I think Matt has equaled him at this point in his Who career. Still, without Davies, we may not see episodes and story arcs with as much power as the The End Of Time had which might ultimately keep Smith from reaching Tennant's level.

Steve

The best episodes IMO were penned by others during the Davies era IMO. Davies was so hit and miss. Some of his episodes down right sucked. Some others I really liked. Some of my very favorite episodes during the Davies era were written by Moffat. He is a vastly superior writer IMO.

What I liked about David T. was his range. To me what separates him from the rest was he had the ability to play the character sad, turmoiled, angry, slapstick and thoughtful. I have never really seen anybody play the character before with that much depth or range. No matter how he played the character it was 100% believable.

My problem with Matt Smith is not the writing. He is not as capable IMO of playing the type of range that DT could. In the few episodes where he has gone down that path I have felt like it's not his thing. When he is playing the more light hearted scatter brained version of the Doctor is when he is at his best. You put Matt Smith in some of those same DT episodes and they are not as good. DT is simply a superior actor IMO and the reason why he was voted the best version of the Doctor in the shows history according to fans.

P.S. I am really sad that they have not revisited Amy Pond in that cop uniform from the first episode. :D

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The best episodes IMO were penned by others during the Davies era IMO. Davies was so hit and miss. Some of his episodes down right sucked. Some others I really liked. Some of my very favorite episodes during the Davies era were written by Moffat. He is a vastly superior writer IMO.

What I liked about David T. was his range. To me what separates him from the rest was he had the ability to play the character sad, turmoiled, angry, slapstick and thoughtful. I have never really seen anybody play the character before with that much depth or range. No matter how he played the character it was 100% believable.

My problem with Matt Smith is not the writing. He is not as capable IMO of playing the type of range that DT could. In the few episodes where he has gone down that path I have felt like it's not his thing. When he is playing the more light hearted scatter brained version of the Doctor is when he is at his best. You put Matt Smith in some of those same DT episodes and they are not as good. DT is simply a superior actor IMO and the reason why he was voted the best version of the Doctor in the shows history according to fans.

P.S. I am really sad that they have not revisited Amy Pond in that cop uniform from the first episode. :D

Well, gee, that's a bit unfair don't you think. David Tennant had a full 3 season run and the show had made it's way across the pond (and elsewhere) for his entire run but Matt is only in to his second season and much of the world is still waiting to see him. Also, as for best Doctor, someone could easily point out that only ONE actor has ever been nominated for a BAFTA in the Doctor role and that of course is Matt Smith. I agree that Tennant is the best Doctor so far but I think it's only fair to wait for a more complete run by Smith.

We're in full agreement on the Amy Pond/police uniform. I won't complain too much though as long as they keep those short skirts coming.:).

Steve

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, gee, that's a bit unfair don't you think. David Tennant had a full 3 season run and the show had made it's way across the pond (and elsewhere) for his entire run but Matt is only in to his second season and much of the world is still waiting to see him. Also, as for best Doctor, someone could easily point out that only ONE actor has ever been nominated for a BAFTA in the Doctor role and that of course is Matt Smith. I agree that Tennant is the best Doctor so far but I think it's only fair to wait for a more complete run by Smith.

We're in full agreement on the Amy Pond/police uniform. I won't complain too much though as long as they keep those short skirts coming.:).

Steve

Agree that Matt Smith is not done and he will probably grow as an actor. I was simply referring to what I have seen so far of him. Also, American studios are seeing something David as well. He was cast in Fright Night and the studios are considering a spin-off movie franchise with David. Maybe he will get some recognition here.

By the way Tennant has won a BAFTA and been nominated multiple times. These are the acting awards he has won. This doesn't even include all the nominations one of which was a TONY. This guy is on a entirely different level IMO. One of the reasons he left Doctor Who. He had outgrown the show from a career perspective.

• 2005 Critics Award for Theatre in Scotland, Best Male Performance: Jimmy Porter in Look Back in Anger[90]
  • 2006 TV Quick and TV Choice Award, Best Actor: Doctor Who[91]
  • 2006 National Television Award, Best Actor: Doctor Who[92]
  • 2007 Welsh BAFTAs, Best Actor, Doctor Who[93]
  • 2007 The Constellation Awards, Best Male Performance in a 2006 Science Fiction Television Episode: Doctor Who: The Girl In The Fireplace[94]
  • 2007 TV Quick and TV Choice Award, Best Actor: Doctor Who[95]
  • 2007 National Television Awards, Most Popular Actor[96]
  • 2007 Glenfiddich Spirit of Scotland Award, screen award[97]
  • 2008 The Constellation Awards, Best Male Performance in a 2007 Science Fiction Television Episode: Doctor Who: Human Nature/The Family Of Blood[98]
  • 2008 TV Quick and TV Choice Award, Best Actor: Doctor Who[99]
  • 2008 National Television Award, Outstanding Drama Performance: Doctor Who[100]
  • 2009 Critics' Circle Award for Best Shakespearean Performance for his role as Hamlet. He will share the award with Sir Derek Jacobi for his performance as Malvolio in Twelfth Night.[101]
  • 2009 Theatregoers' Choice Awards, The AKA Theatre Event of the Year for his performance in Hamlet[102][103]
  • 2010 National Television Award, Outstanding Drama Performance: Doctor Who
  • 2010 The Constellation Awards, Best Male Performance in a 2009 Science Fiction Television Episode: Doctor Who: The Waters of Mars[104]

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agree that Matt Smith is not done and he will probably grow as an actor. I was simply referring to what I have seen so far of him. Also, American studios are seeing something David as well. He was cast in Fright Night and the studios are considering a spin-off movie franchise with David. Maybe he will get some recognition here.

By the way Tennant has won a BAFTA and been nominated multiple times. These are the acting awards he has won. This doesn't even include all the nominations one of which was a TONY. This guy is on a entirely different level IMO. One of the reasons he left Doctor Who. He had outgrown the show from a career perspective.

I didn't say he wasn't highly regarded, I was just offering fuel for the discussion. From the UK Guardian "Matt Smith has become the first Doctor Who star to be nominated for a Bafta but it was another sci-fi series that dominated the nominations for this year's television awards – E4's Misfits."

I think Tennant is a wonderful actor, I just think you might be underrating Matt Smith a bit. Also, it was known for some time that Tennant would probably leave when Davies left. It wasn't carved in stone but they both acknowledged that it would go that way. There has also been much speculation that Davies inserted the final Tennant line "I don't want to go" as a shot on David's behalf towards the BBC. I guess we'll never know exactly why he left but we agree, he left behind some incredible work.

Steve

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't say he wasn't highly regarded, I was just offering fuel for the discussion. From the UK Guardian "Matt Smith has become the first Doctor Who star to be nominated for a Bafta but it was another sci-fi series that dominated the nominations for this year's television awards – E4's Misfits."

I think Tennant is a wonderful actor, I just think you might be underrating Matt Smith a bit. Also, it was known for some time that Tennant would probably leave when Davies left. It wasn't carved in stone but they both acknowledged that it would go that way. There has also been much speculation that Davies inserted the final Tennant line "I don't want to go" as a shot on David's behalf towards the BBC. I guess we'll never know exactly why he left but we agree, he left behind some incredible work.

Steve

Not sure why the article says that. Although I think there are more then one set of BAFTA awards in the UK (example Welsh, Scottish and another I think). David won the BAFTA in 2007 for Best Actor (Doctor Who Episode "Doomsday"). He was also nominated again in 2009 for best Male Actor in TV.

As far as David goes he was ready to leave. He thought it was time. He seemed genuine in his reason during the interview I watched on BBC America. He said the he started contemplating leaving the season before. He had not decided to. Evidently David & Catherine Tate had a discussion about it once. After she left the show she went on Jonathan Ross show and said the next season would be his last but that is not what David said. That seemed to be around the time he starting thinking about it.

He also mentioned that in his off time he tried to do as much as he could outside but the Doctor Who filming schedule was not like American television. He said their production schedule almost makes it impossible to do anything else and that he turned down a number of high profile job offers along the way. He said he thought it was time. He did mention the RTD thing and said the timing made it perfect because the new show runner Moffet wanted to put his own spin on things. Also, he said he loved Moffet and some of his favorite episodes he was in were written by him.

Maybe he was "acting" in that interview but he seems like a genuine guy.

Last edited:

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just caught up on the last couple of seasons of Doctor Who on Netflix because I just happened to have caught the premier of the current season live a couple of weeks ago. What a great show (I've been a long time Who fan from the Tom Baker days, then got into the re-launch with the two Doctors before Smith and then just drifted away from it).

It's interesting seeing the tepid response to Smith here in this thread. I think he's fantastic. Just as good as Tenent, IMO. He's a bit goofier, but I like the way he embraces his "alieness" more than previous Doctors. He's like a child discovering the world again and again (I'm specifically thinking of the episode where he plays soccer when I say this, thuogh I know there are lots of other, smaller examples).

As for Moffet's direction--it's f'n awesome. I love the larger arcs that he's building into a the show and bringing everything around. Brilliant. Simply Brilliant (I'd suggest fans of Moffet also check out the BBC series "Jeckyl").

I'm waiting for my DVR to build up a few more episodes of the new season because I like the current incarnation of the show so much that one hour at a time doesn't cut it.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was never a Who geek from back in the day, but these are all outstanding. It takes an episode or two to shake off the weirdness factor and some of the lameness (Daleks, etc.), but the Doctors are awesome and his relationship to others on the show makes it worthwhile. My girlfriend HATES sci-fi, but I got her into the new ones.

That said, the first two episodes this year are a little off from the previous seasons for me. I love the idea ... Dinosaurs on a Spaceship! ... it's very Dr. Who. I'm just wondering if it's running out of gas. On the upside, the FX have been given an obvious budget increase, but that's just never going to be important to the show. Fans are willing to accept less from FX, but will never tolerate a lame doctor or traveling mates.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
I just caught up on the last couple of seasons of Doctor Who on Netflix because I just happened to have caught the premier of the current season live a couple of weeks ago. What a great show (I've been a long time Who fan from the Tom Baker days, then got into the re-launch with the two Doctors before Smith and then just drifted away from it).

It's interesting seeing the tepid response to Smith here in this thread. I think he's fantastic. Just as good as Tenent, IMO. He's a bit goofier, but I like the way he embraces his "alieness" more than previous Doctors. He's like a child discovering the world again and again (I'm specifically thinking of the episode where he plays soccer when I say this, thuogh I know there are lots of other, smaller examples).

As for Moffet's direction--it's f'n awesome. I love the larger arcs that he's building into a the show and bringing everything around. Brilliant. Simply Brilliant (I'd suggest fans of Moffet also check out the BBC series "Jeckyl").

I'm waiting for my DVR to build up a few more episodes of the new season because I like the current incarnation of the show so much that one hour at a time doesn't cut it.

Smith doesn't much do it for me--I think that much is obvious--but he's doing pretty well this season. The writing has also been stellar thus far. It's usually solid overall. As for the arcs...meh...I'm torn. I usually really enjoy them, but the writers fall back on deus ex machina on this show. I HATED how they finished off the last season, by a lame attempt at a cheat. Um, yeah, no, sorry, when you write yourself into a corner, you have to write yourself back out, not just write some crappy cop-out. This season so far, though? Good stuff.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard