Dockett sounds unhappy on Twitter

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That they are realistic? Times are bad. And no it is not a good thing.

NFL is a business and in this business the teams are fighting over players and fans. Having less $$ than your competitors is a weakness and you never go out and proclaim your weaknesses. Graves acts like players should have sympathy for the club. Not gonna happen. They'll go to Washington or Dallas where the money never runs out.

Neither do I. I also agree that they should all limit the pouty kid antics. There must be a dignified way to work the system.
see Wilson, Adrian

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
What I dont understand is why any of you are surprised by anything he has said or done yesterday. Dockett's been exactly the same guy his entire career. The man works his tail off and produces on the field. Really that is all you can hope for from most of these guys. Adrian Wilson and Fitzgerald are exceptions to the rule when it comes to brains, integrity and class. His attitude, mentality and persona were the reasons he was available in the 3rd round even though on the field he was a 1st round pick.

Sometimes you just gotta take things for what they are and appreciate the good parts.
You are right... However, maybe it is just me but DD annoys me more than any other players on Cardinals.

rtjim

Registered
Reaction score
Am I just old or am I doing something wrong? I went to the twitter link and couldn't make heads or tails of anything that was posted.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
What I dont understand is why any of you are surprised by anything he has said or done yesterday. Dockett's been exactly the same guy his entire career. The man works his tail off and produces on the field. Really that is all you can hope for from most of these guys. Adrian Wilson and Fitzgerald are exceptions to the rule when it comes to brains, integrity and class. His attitude, mentality and persona were the reasons he was available in the 3rd round even though on the field he was a 1st round pick.

Sometimes you just gotta take things for what they are and appreciate the good parts.

Well put, he's been everything advertised, great talent, questionable character.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
DD needs to just shut up and play out the contract he signed. We have other more pressing issues.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't believe he is that ignorant about contracts. What is it going to take to get these atheletes to realize that the contract only guarantees them so much money. The usually get most of the money up front. Of course the team can cut them any time they want. It's the way the contract is written. For Dockett to feign ignorance of this basic contract stipulation, means that he is either just ignoring it or just lying about contract terms to convince fans the team is the problem and not him.

If you sign a binding contract like the one the NFL players sign and you have an agent advising you (who is usually a lawyer) and you don't know all the terms and conditions of that contract, somebody should screw you over.

ANDY440

Registered
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Stupid people don't know their stupid.:bang:

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
If you sign a binding contract like the one the NFL players sign...
It isn't binding. Well...just for the player. A contract gets signed and the team feels that the player underperformed the contract means nothing but if the play outperformed, all of the sudden it's a binding contract?

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It isn't binding. Well...just for the player. A contract gets signed and the team feels that the player underperformed the contract means nothing but if the play outperformed, all of the sudden it's a binding contract?

You don't understand contracts either. Just because a player signs a contract "worth" $35 million dollars doesn't mean he is going to get that amount. The only amount he is sure of getting is the guaranteed amount that both parties agree on, so if the guaranteed amount is $10 million, that is the actual contract amount. These contracts are drawn up with exhoribant amounts due towards the end of the contract to force the team into renegotiating a new contract rather than pay those high fees. Players agents insist on this as it inflates the amount thereby making them look good to future perspective clients. Everyone knows, including the player who signed this agreement, that these dollars will never be paid.

So yes, a team can release a player any time they chose, but they will have to pay that player the full $10 million dollar amount when they do so. That is the way the contract is written. Saying that the team doesn't have to live up to the contract is wrong. They do have to live up to it and the player should also.

NuttinButTDs

Registered
Reaction score
You don't understand contracts either. Just because a player signs a contract "worth" $35 million dollars doesn't mean he is going to get that amount. The only amount he is sure of getting is the guaranteed amount that both parties agree on, so if the guaranteed amount is $10 million, that is the actual contract amount. These contracts are drawn up with exhoribant amounts due towards the end of the contract to force the team into renegotiating a new contract rather than pay those high fees. Players agents insist on this as it inflates the amount thereby making them look good to future perspective clients. Everyone knows, including the player who signed this agreement, that these dollars will never be paid.

So yes, a team can release a player any time they chose, but they will have to pay that player the full $10 million dollar amount when they do so. That is the way the contract is written. Saying that the team doesn't have to live up to the contract is wrong. They do have to live up to it and the player should also.

bingo..

or the player can insist on escalators based on performance and get paid. Remember Fitz's contract. Did we not state that Fitz had the Cardinals in a hard place.

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

Don't be a condescending ass 40. I know how the contracts are structured and I know what the guaranteed money is. You apparently don't understand NFL contracts because not all players have their contracts inflate near the end. That's pretty much the realm of high draft picks and high profile players. Look at Joe's spreadsheet (even though he isn't going to be updating). None of the players who were in the last year of their contracts were scheduled to make an "exorbitant" amount of money except for Dansby because of the tag. Dockett is scheduled to make $3.5 million (2009), $3.75 million (2010) and $4 million (2011) in the next three years. That isn't an "exorbitant" amount forcing the team to do anything. Saying that the team doesn't have to live up to the contract is wrong? They do have to live up to it and the player should also? That isn't true. If Dockett's play goes downhill the Cards don't have to pay him but his only option is to not play and get paid. I'm not a big fan of the way that he is handling this mess. I think that the Cards have been dealing fairly, but I'm trying to look at it from both sides of the coin. You've picked your side and that's all that you see.

I wonder how many sacks the Cards would have had in the Super Bowl if Dockett wasn't playing, since he had all 3 of them.

Last edited:

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
bingo..

or the player can insist on escalators based on performance and get paid. Remember Fitz's contract. Did we not state that Fitz had the Cardinals in a hard place.
Not bingo. It's only because Fitz was the #3 pick in the draft. What about Cromartie who's scheduled to make no more than $1.13 million at any point in his contract and $650,000 his last year? You can be damned sure that if he gets anywhere near the Pro Bowl, like we all hope, we'll be revisiting that contract long before it expires. whether the Cardinals want to or not.

NuttinButTDs

Registered
Reaction score
Not bingo. It's only because Fitz was the #3 pick in the draft. What about Cromartie who's scheduled to make no more than $1.13 million at any point in his contract and $650,000 his last year? You can be damned sure that if he gets anywhere near the Pro Bowl, like we all hope, we'll be revisiting that contract long before it expires. whether the Cardinals want to or not.

The rookie contracts are based on projections and need. What happens if DRC was a bust.

DD situation is different. He proved his potential and Cards extended him. He had every opportunity to negotiate that contract like Warner, Fitz et al. He has pocketed 10.7M out of 22M in 2 years and has 3 more years to go for a total salary of 11+ M. Play some of it out before complaining.

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
The rookie contracts are based on projections and need. What happens if DRC was a bust.
No they aren't. They are based on where the player is drafted. The only thing that comes into the equation is if the player is a QB. Then the player gets the "QB Premium". Other than that, the players are pretty much slotted by where they were picked. Was Fitz a need for the Cards when the previous year we had spent a first rounder and hit the jackpot with Anquan? And what if Fitz busted?
DD situation is different. He proved his potential and Cards extended him. He had every opportunity to negotiate that contract like Warner, Fitz et al. He has pocketed 10.7M out of 22M in 2 years and has 3 more years to go for a total salary of 11+ M. Play some of it out before complaining.
Dockett outplayed his rookie contract and the Cards did what was right and renegotiated. The next year he went to the Pro Bowl as an alternate. If we had won the Super Bowl last year he would have gotten a lot of votes as the MVP of that game. He was in Roethlesburgers grill all night long. Like I said earlier, I wish that he would handle this differently but I definitely see what his complaint is. People want to trade him? Let's move back into Sun Devil Stadium while we are at it.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
The whole point of the DD situation is if every player who had the number of years left on their contract wanted a new contract, the league would be in shambles. DD needs to shut up and play.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
No they aren't. They are based on where the player is drafted. The only thing that comes into the equation is if the player is a QB. Then the player gets the "QB Premium". Other than that, the players are pretty much slotted by where they were picked. Was Fitz a need for the Cards when the previous year we had spent a first rounder and hit the jackpot with Anquan? And what if Fitz busted?

Dockett outplayed his rookie contract and the Cards did what was right and renegotiated. The next year he went to the Pro Bowl as an alternate. If we had won the Super Bowl last year he would have gotten a lot of votes as the MVP of that game. He was in Roethlesburgers grill all night long. Like I said earlier, I wish that he would handle this differently but I definitely see what his complaint is. People want to trade him? Let's move back into Sun Devil Stadium while we are at it.
Wow, and alternate? that means nothing...

He has not outplayed his current contract by one iota, he has been asking for a new contract directly after the 1st seaon eneded on his new contract.

Its absurd... If he wants a series of 1 year deals, then he should've said so... He got fair market value when he signed the contract and should play it out... Also, he want more money when there basically is no more to dish out... he could've requested provisions in his contract before he signed it if he doesn't like the way teams work and not signed the extension in the fist place.

brutus1303

Rookie
Reaction score
I hope he's unhappy and pissed off, did you see how he played in the playoffs with a little motivation?

Carddan

Average Fan
Reaction score
It is interesting to see emotions riled because of this topic. Personally, I am pleased to see the emotion from our fans but I do believe we can disagree without making it personal.

To me, Darnell sounds like a twit on Twitter. I am not a grammar nazi and it would be easy to track down mistakes I have made, but if you are going to post your words for the world to see, it would be wise to use the correct words. Wisdom does not seem to be one of Dockett's strong suits.

Concerning NFL contracts: it is not about "fair", it is about "business". If a person chooses to participate in the NFL as a player, they know how the system works. Sometimes it is unfair to the player, sometimes it is unfair to the organization. The players' union and the owners have both agreed to this system, both parties have no one to blame but themselves. A player does not have to play unless they want to get paid the amount they agreed to. A team does not have to pay a player unless they want that player to play on that team. Dockett asked if players should honor a contract when the teams don't. I would ask him to describe a situation when a team does not honor a contract. If his response is when a player is cut, then I would say that player should not honor the contract.

Darnell's conduct and words cause me concern. Coach Whisenhunt has singled him out in the past for commiting selfish personal fouls. He has publicly made an issue out of the quaility of strip clubs in his neighborhood. (say what you want about "free country" and social liberty, his comments are detrimental to himself if no one else) Darnell missed mandatory practices due to "a seasonal" hamstring injury. Now he is making comments implying the team is cheap, he is underpaid, and he might not show up for training camp. Of course he will, he needs the money.

Dockett is a good football player. I am glad he has millions of dollars and I support every player getting the best salary they can. This team wants "smart, tough, disciplined" players, however. Every tweet he makes confirms his is 1 for 3.

Last edited:

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't be a condescending ass 40. I know how the contracts are structured and I know what the guaranteed money is. You apparently don't understand NFL contracts because not all players have their contracts inflate near the end. That's pretty much the realm of high draft picks and high profile players. Look at Joe's spreadsheet (even though he isn't going to be updating). None of the players who were in the last year of their contracts were scheduled to make an "exorbitant" amount of money except for Dansby because of the tag. Dockett is scheduled to make $3.5 million (2009), $3.75 million (2010) and $4 million (2011) in the next three years. That isn't an "exorbitant" amount forcing the team to do anything. Saying that the team doesn't have to live up to the contract is wrong? They do have to live up to it and the player should also? That isn't true. If Dockett's play goes downhill the Cards don't have to pay him but his only option is to not play and get paid. I'm not a big fan of the way that he is handling this mess. I think that the Cards have been dealing fairly, but I'm trying to look at it from both sides of the coin. You've picked your side and that's all that you see.

I wonder how many sacks the Cards would have had in the Super Bowl if Dockett wasn't playing, since he had all 3 of them.

I'm the condesending ass? It's obvious you have no knowledge of how contracts work. Both sides have to live up to it and that includes the team. If you understood contract language, you would realize that Dockett signed a piece of paper knowing full well what the terms and conditions are. The fact that he chooses to ignore that contract and try to use public opinion to force the team to renogtiate what he perceives to be a wrong shows the type of person he really is. And the fact that you buy what he is selling shows that you do not understand contractural terms.

You keep insisting that the team doesn't have to live up to the contract and you are dead wrong about that. It wouldn't be a contract if only one side agreed to it. The terms and conditions are cast in stone. Those terms and conditions give the team the right to fire Dockett any time they see fit and they also give Dockett the right to collect the full amount of his guaranteed money even if they fire him the day after he signs the contract.

Whether Dockett outplays that contract or never plays another down because of an injury doesn't make a bit of a difference to the agreement. It is what it is. Dockett will get his guaranteed money. If Dockett felt he could have outperformed this contract, he and his agent should have put escalators into his contract. They opted to go for the dollars upfront instead. To complain about it now is ridiculous.

And can we discuss this like men and dispense with the name calling?

Phill11

The Payphone Man
Reaction score
"That's the million dollar question (or $50 million in your case)....I'm sure Travis LaBoy or Rod Hood would agree with you. AMEN"

Straight from DDock. Ouch. He really needs to just shut up.

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I'm the condesending ass? It's obvious you have no knowledge of how contracts work.

And can we discuss this like men and dispense with the name calling?
I apologize for calling you an ass but with that second sentence you are being condescending. Nothing really left to discuss.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score

:thumbup: well said

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose