Dobbs to the Vikings

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Is incompetence a more comforting explanation for this from our head coach?

I don't think either is really a good look. But do you.
Agreed K. This is part and parcel as to why I just do not like or trust Jonathan Gannon at this point. He strikes me as a snake in the grass. Nothing about his outward demeanor gives me a good feeling. He pandered to Kyler and Rondale Moore in the most cringeworthy way and I believe nothing he says out of his mouth. I at least liked Kingsbury. He seemed like a genuine person, and had some depth to his personality. It's bad that I feel the same way about JG as I did the day we hired him. Usually you grow to like the man in charge of your football team as the season progresses, not the case here. I don't even believe him when he says Kyler is his qb. Him doing Dobbs dirty is about what I expected.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So what is Dobbs’s bitch? Instead of being buried on our bench, he was going to get traded to MN, where he was going to be a starter. When JG told the media & Josh that he would be the starter against Cleveland the following week, he hadn’t even seen the game video & probably wasn’t even aware that Cousins had even been injured yet. At that point in time, what else should he say to Dobbs & the media? Again, I really don’t see why people are calling out JG? The Cardinals did Dobbs a HUGE favor. Shame on Dobbs for making this out to be more than it had to be. He’s dead to me now.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
So what is Dobbs’s bitch? Instead of being buried on our bench, he was going to get traded to MN, where he was going to be a starter. When JG told the media & Josh that he would be the starter against Cleveland the following week, he hadn’t even seen the game video & probably wasn’t even aware that Cousins had even been injured yet. At that point in time, what else should he say to Dobbs & the media? Again, I really don’t see why people are calling out JG? The Cardinals did Dobbs a HUGE favor. Shame on Dobbs for making this out to be more than it had to be. He’s dead to me now.

IMO, the whole thing with Dobbs, start to finish, played out kind of weird PA.

I'm not saying "nefarious", or even "incompetent", but maybe closer to "flailing".

But hey this is their first headline gig for both MO and JG so I'm giving them each plenty of latitude for a few rookie mistakes.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
LOL… how quickly they turn on cardinals they lauded once they leave and that player talks about how the crappy way the team treated them.

Every single time, it’s the players fault, not the Cardinals. Like clockwork.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
IMO, the whole thing with Dobbs, start to finish, played out kind of weird PA.

I'm not saying "nefarious", or even "incompetent", but maybe closer to "flailing".

But hey this is their first headline gig for both MO and JG so I'm giving them each plenty of latitude for a few rooking mistakes.
+1

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
There are no guarantees in professional sports. Situations at the trade deadline especially change minute by minute. Unless you have a no trade clause, you’re always vulnerable to what another team is willing to pay. This team is re-building. Any deal that moves the needle forward has to be made.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are no guarantees in professional sports. Situations at the trade deadline especially change minute by minute. Unless you have a no trade clause, you’re always vulnerable to what another team is willing to pay. This team is re-building. Any deal that moves the needle forward has to be made.
It's pretty damn iffy the deal "moves the needle forward". I didn't even care for Dobbs but he is going to be an NFL backup for years. So, I don't see how a roster with Driskel instead of Dobbs is better. A pick that late in the draft is far from sure to even make the practice squad, much less turn into a solid backup or starter.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
It could be that Gannon and Monti aren't on the same page.
It could be that Gannon knew at the time and pressed Monti not to trade him but was delusional in his ability to stop it from happening.
It could be that Gannon isn't a straight shooter.

None of these are good looks.
Beyond that, for whatever reason it occurred, it's another weird spectacle playing out in public coming out of the Arizona Cardinals franchise that does not rehabilitate our public image.
All from circumstances we 100% controlled. (aka an unforced error)
Like I said, why assume malice?

The most likely explanation is that the trade presented itself and the Cardinals took the trade. No reason to put on tinfoil hats and conspiracy theory this.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
It's pretty damn iffy the deal "moves the needle forward". I didn't even care for Dobbs but he is going to be an NFL backup for years. So, I don't see how a roster with Driskel instead of Dobbs is better. A pick that late in the draft is far from sure to even make the practice squad, much less turn into a solid backup or starter.
Rebuilding teams should take whatever pick they can get for nonstarter talent.

This board bitched about the trade for Dobbs, bitched about his performance, and then bitched about trading for him. Sheer lunacy.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
LOL… how quickly they turn on cardinals they lauded once they leave and that player talks about how the crappy way the team treated them.

Eh the other side is that other posters bitch about the trade, bitch about his play, and then bitch about trading him.

Dobbs is a good backup QB that a rebuilding team should trade and not pay when the starter comes back.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rebuilding teams should take whatever pick they can get for nonstarter talent.

This board bitched about the trade for Dobbs, bitched about his performance, and then bitched about trading for him. Sheer lunacy.
All three of those things were not good. That's not lunacy, that's just how I see it. Now the pick might be a player. But this team is historically the gang that can't shoot straight and I am not getting a Monti playing 4D chess vibe from all of this.

My opinion? Both trades come off as knee jerk reactions.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Dobbs started 8 games, was 1-7, singlehandedly lost the last 4 for us, and had a QB rating in the 60’s or below in those last 4 games. And he was treated poorly? Sorry, but the dude made out like a bandit. If the Cardinals wanted to treat him crappy, they would have traded him to the Giants. Just wait now when teams are actually able to game plan for him. What player ******* when he’s about to see the pine on a 1-8 team, and instead is traded to team in contention for a playoff spot and is assured of starting every week???? The only thing that MOJG have said is that they will make decisions that are in the best interest of the CARDINAL TEAM, not individual me guys. I guess Dobbs was a me guy after all.

Metcalf Rules

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I love the Dobbs story and the few shining moments he brought to the Cardinals. In my opinion he should be thanking the Cardinals. They traded for him and he started 8 games. When Murray returns he would have been back on the bench, the same place he would have spent most of the season with the Browns. The Cards trade him to Minnesota, a team in need of a quarterback. He goes there to be the backup to Jaren Hall. No one knew Hall would get knocked out as quick as he did, But he did and in comes Dobbs to the rescue, rallying the team despite his usual turnovers and blunders. Now, he’s the toast of the town and, barring an injury, will most likely be the Vikings starter for the remainder of the season. He will probably start 16 of 17 games this season. Maybe 17 if the Vikings sneak into the playoffs. As great of a guy as he is, he’s a backup at best, yet thanks in large part to the Cardinals, for this season at least, he will have been a full time starter.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
PA, personally I don't think it's anything football-related. He knew what it was hitting for the day he signed with us. I think his alt is with how he was "lied" to. If that's the case, then I'm in 100% agreement with him. This is a business and no one is impervious to this, but a man's character should extend beyond the workplace, and for Gannon to talk about building relationships in a press conference, when you just flat-out sold Dobbs a bill of goods in MY book is a character flaw and lets me know what kind of dude you are. I think Dobbs would have appreciated being told straight up there's a possibility you may be benched or moved. He wouldn't have liked it but I think he at least could have respected how things were done and prepared to not have the rug pulled out from underneath him. Gannon is a weasel. Flat out. You guys can disagree, but I just don't like this man

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

The most likely explanation is that the trade presented itself and the Cardinals took the trade. No reason to put on tinfoil hats and conspiracy theory this.
Where was malice assumed Krang? I haven't seen one post from anyone, including myself that thought this was done out of ill will towards Dobbs. He is no longer the Cards problem so we as fans will have to move on, but what about the rest of the team? He's the head coach but he is still in the honeymoon phase with them and they have to feel that he's trustworthy.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
PA, personally I don't think it's anything football-related. He knew what it was hitting for the day he signed with us. I think his alt is with how he was "lied" to. If that's the case, then I'm in 100% agreement with him. This is a business and no one is impervious to this, but a man's character should extend beyond the workplace, and for Gannon to talk about building relationships in a press conference, when you just flat-out sold Dobbs a bill of goods in MY book is a character flaw and lets me know what kind of dude you are. I think Dobbs would have appreciated being told straight up there's a possibility you may be benched or moved. He wouldn't have liked it but I think he at least could have respected how things were done and prepared to not have the rug pulled out from underneath him. Gannon is a weasel. Flat out. You guys can disagree, but I just don't like this man
We’ll have to agree to disagree about this subject. This is ALL about football and nothing else. And I don’t buy the “being lied to” narrative at all. What do you expect JG to say right after the Ravens game to the media and to Dobbs? Dobbs isn’t an idiot. He had to realize that he had played like crap for over a month & JG has said from DAY 1 that EVERYONE would be accountable. After how Dobbs played, JG owed him no explanation after the BLT game. One has to realize that until the film can be deciphered, Dobbs was still the starter. And that’s what JG told him. All bets are off after the film is reviewed and its then blatantly obvious that Dobbs single-handedly cost us that game, especially in light of the fact that he also cost us 2-3 other games in a month’s span. As far as being lied to about being traded, I’m sure that JG had no idea that Cousins had been injured. That injury to Cousins changed everything, and put the Cardinals in a better position to get back the draft pick that they had to use in order to get Dobbs in the first place. And by now, everyone should realize how MOJG value draft picks in this rebuild. Had Cousins not been injured, Dobbs most likely would not have been traded. And that’s because no one would have been desperate enough to give up a draft pick for him. The Cardinals only traded him because the situation with Cousins forced MN to act out of desperation. If this organization is ever to create sustainable success, they have to make decisions like this. And that doesn’t make anyone a snake. I’m tired of being Mr. Nice Guy and being the laughingstock of the NFL.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Where was malice assumed Krang? I haven't seen one post from anyone, including myself that thought this was done out of ill will towards Dobbs. He is no longer the Cards problem so we as fans will have to move on, but what about the rest of the team? He's the head coach but he is still in the honeymoon phase with them and they have to feel that he's trustworthy.
Malice is a general term in how I'm using it, not the literal term. There is no I'll will in JGs actions at all, no lies told.

There is the accusation that JG lied when it is pretty clear what happened. After the game when asked if Dobbs would still start he said yes, but that changes Monday when the Cardinals had a chance to review game film. Then he is traded after the Vikings offer a pick.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Malice is a general term in how I'm using it, not the literal term. There is no I'll will in JGs actions at all, no lies told.

There is the accusation that JG lied when it is pretty clear what happened. After the game when asked if Dobbs would still start he said yes, but that changes Monday when the Cardinals had a chance to review game film. Then he is traded after the Vikings offer a pick.
Agree. And I’m doubt if JG was even aware that Cousins was injured at the time. The injury to Cousins facilitated this trade. MN was desperate & that’s the only reason Dobbs was worthy of a draft choice in return. Without that injury, I don’t believe that Dobbs would have been dealt.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
We’ll have to agree to disagree about this subject. This is ALL about football and nothing else. And I don’t buy the “being lied to” narrative at all. What do you expect JG to say right after the Ravens game to the media and to Dobbs? Dobbs isn’t an idiot. He had to realize that he had played like crap for over a month & JG has said from DAY 1 that EVERYONE would be accountable. After how Dobbs played, JG owed him no explanation after the BLT game. One has to realize that until the film can be deciphered, Dobbs was still the starter. And that’s what JG told him. All bets are off after the film is reviewed and its then blatantly obvious that Dobbs single-handedly cost us that game, especially in light of the fact that he also cost us 2-3 other games in a month’s span. As far as being lied to about being traded, I’m sure that JG had no idea that Cousins had been injured. That injury to Cousins changed everything, and put the Cardinals in a better position to get back the draft pick that they had to use in order to get Dobbs in the first place. And by now, everyone should realize how MOJG value draft picks in this rebuild. Had Cousins not been injured, Dobbs most likely would not have been traded. And that’s because no one would have been desperate enough to give up a draft pick for him. The Cardinals only traded him because the situation with Cousins forced MN to act out of desperation. If this organization is ever to create sustainable success, they have to make decisions like this. And that doesn’t make anyone a snake. I’m tired of being Mr. Nice Guy and being the laughingstock of the NFL.
PA, I'm in 100% agreement with you on that Dobbs should have been benched. He did play like trash, cost us the game, and count me among the fans who wanted to see what Clayton had before K1 realistically was set to return. My point of contention is not that he said you're starting, but that he would not be traded. If you're not in a position to make that decision and it was MO's call that trumps your own, then why even open your mouth with that? Keep it business, keep it 100 and do what's best for this team, period. I'm okay with that. What I'm not okay with is painting a picture that you're a true players coach, and that you care about Dobbs mental moving forward. Dobbs KNEW he played like trash, and that a move was possible, but when he's told you're not going anywhere AND that he was starting next week, it's a D-Bag move, and for a person like me who desperately wants to like this coach moving forward, this did not help. And I'll maintain my "snake" description until I see otherwise, thank you very much.

:thumbup::biglaugh:

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

I gotcha. Sorry to misinterpret.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Conspiracy theory? What you just said was a conspiracy theory.

I laid out three options of what could have happened. Putting a frame around the situation covering most if not all angles.
I said I don't know which one it is.

One of those options encompasses what you said. Them not being on the same page. Like hey, our current starting QB might get traded... kind of a big one.

I said the obvious, that REGARDLESS OF WHAT HAPPENED..... we look bad publicly, and it's because we factually did not handle it well for something that we 100% control. We tend to do this alot.

If we're trying to rehabilitate our image, which is in the dumpster, this isn't a good look.

ZERO CONSPIRACIES

Just saying krango :thumbup:

Last edited:

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
who says we look bad publicly?? Other than a few folks here I havent seen anyone getting their panties in a wad over Josh Dobbs.

Dude was a cardinal...he played hard...he got traded...good luck Josh Dobbs.