Do Video Games Suck Nowadays or What..

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
I was at the video store and couldn't find any good games to rent. Most of the ones I wanted weren't in anyways. But remember the good old days.

Contra
Castlevania
Double Dragon
Metroid
Excitebike
Mario Bros
Tecmo Bowl
Bionic Commando
Mega Man

Not to mention all of the basketball games out nowadays suck! I rented EA Live 2005 and it was horrible. You can't even fast break. It's crap. The old NBA Live 95 was the best. I should really be a game creator.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
up up down down left right left right b a, what gave is that from

OP
OP
JPlay

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
bankybruce said:
up up down down left right left right b a, what gave is that from

Uh Contra, come on now. That's too easy. I played the new Contra when it came out on PS2 and it was awful. They let you use that code again, but it only gave you 50 lives and the game was so hard that you couldn't even beat it with that many lives.

bratwurst

on double secret probation
Reaction score
My suggestion is to download FCE Ultra for playing old NES games.

http://www.emulator-zone.com/doc.php/nes/fceultra.html

I have a Genesis emulator and some old Madden 94 and 95 roms, but I'll stick with the current stuff there :)

If I could find an NBA Live 95 rom for Genesis though, that would be great. I loved that game!

You can always play some NES games right over the net too at www.everyvideogame.com (i've posted this one before I think).

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
yep

i don't know too many people in their 20s who can't recite the "Konami Code"

I think that is a good idea for a book ... maybe throw in a conspiracy theory with Konami and the US Gov't teaming to proliferate young people in an attempt to knock of N. Korea

OP
OP
JPlay

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
How about Rush N Attack. I loved that game.

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
JPlay said:
Do Video Games Suck Nowadays or What..

No.

Go play Ninja Gaiden on the Xbox, Resident Evil 4 on the Gamecube, Soul Calibur II, or either of the Knights of the Old Republic games. If you're into platformers, check out Voodoo Vince or one of the Oddworld games. If you like sports, check out NFL 2k5, NBA2k5 (you can do some pretty killer fast breaks here), or EA's big baseball game they release every year.

I'm big into video games, and while I still love the old Nintendo stuff, the world has passed that stuff by. The games today are bigger, more complex, and totally engross you in a world not of your own. You have more control over the action, and as you play through your games now, your character becomes a reflection of yourself.

Nintendo never did that. Games have and are evolving.

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I have a modded xbox with all of the old stuff and let me tell you, the novelty wears out pretty fast. The video games of today are way better, and EA's NBA game does suck. Go get ESPN.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Morrowind was the best RPG I have ever played

CardFan67

Don't touch my tail!
Reaction score
I think it is the new controller layouts... I don't know who came up with them, I think it was Sony and the PS but a keyboard and a PC game makes so much more sense to me than those goofy hard to use controllers.. Maybe I am just getting old... I liked the layout of the first tri-style roto-dials of the Oddessey :D

SouthNZoneFan

GOOD FOR ME TO POOP ON
Reaction score
Brat - I downloaded the emulator, but cannot find any games? Do I need to go to another page or are they all on there? Can you help?

bratwurst said:
My suggestion is to download FCE Ultra for playing old NES games.

http://www.emulator-zone.com/doc.php/nes/fceultra.html

I have a Genesis emulator and some old Madden 94 and 95 roms, but I'll stick with the current stuff there :)

If I could find an NBA Live 95 rom for Genesis though, that would be great. I loved that game!

You can always play some NES games right over the net too at www.everyvideogame.com (i've posted this one before I think).

bratwurst

Reaction score
SouthNZoneFan said:
Brat - I downloaded the emulator, but cannot find any games? Do I need to go to another page or are they all on there? Can you help?

Which games exactly are you looking for? Send me an email.

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
CardFan67 said:
I think it is the new controller layouts...

I'm not a big fan of the Sony controller layout, but for sports, action, and RPG games, man nothing beats the Xbox controller S. I love that thing. Of course, I can't play first-person shooters on a console because the mouse/keyboard setup on a PC is SOOOOO much more natural for those kind of games, but if you go out and play Prince of Persia, Ninja Gaiden, Star Wars Ep III, NFL2k5, NBA2k5, or any other action/sports game, that Xbox controller S (the smaller one) is just absolutely incredible.

bratwurst

Reaction score
Funny, cause I think the playstation original dual analog controller is great. I got one that mimicks pretty much the exact shape and layout for my pc.

OP
OP
JPlay

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
I like the Star Wars games. Too much dialog though. Haven't played the new Ninja Gaiden or Prince of Persia. I liked the Matrix game, GTA, Streets of LA. The sports games have really fallen off though. I'll try NBA2k5 but I figured the gameplay would be suspect like the football game.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
The Matrix game (Enter the Matrix) is horrible when put up next to Prince of Persia or Ninja Gaiden.

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
The Matrix game (Enter the Matrix) is horrible when put up next to Prince of Persia or Ninja Gaiden.

+1. Those are incredible games, two of the best ever.

OP
OP
JPlay

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
I like Max Payne when that came out also. I play a lot of Madden 2005. I love the way ESPN 2k5 looks, but I hate how they run and the game play is bad. The passing game isn't developed enough and I don't like the way the running game is set up either.

Enter the Matrix seemed tight to me when I played it. I liked it a lot. I also liked Medal of Honor. That blew my mind when I first played it.

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
JPlay said:
Not to mention all of the basketball games out nowadays suck! I rented EA Live 2005 and it was horrible. You can't even fast break. It's crap. The old NBA Live 95 was the best. I should really be a game creator.

Thats funny you say that because I just said that the other day. NBA live 95 for Genisis was alot more Sim, then games now a days. I figured NBA games would progress not regress. NBA live 2005 is crap

bratwurst

Reaction score
I really liked Max Payne when it came out. Max Payne 2 was also good, but a little short, I would say it didn't quite come to the level of the original. Medal of Honor also blew me away, I saw it for the first time when someone was playing it on a demo PC at best buy, and I downloaded the demo as soon as I got home! I finished the original, but still haven't played any of the expansion packs. I heard the pacific assault release for MoH isnt that great. I'd like to try Call of Duty just so I can play the Stalingrad part.

Another game that I really liked recently that hasn't gotten much play that I am aware of is Mafia. That game was really immersive.

bratwurst

Reaction score
The last NBA Live I played was 2k3. I just didn't get into the game that much so I haven't bothered to get any of the newer releases.

I was tempted to get the NHL game this year but with the lockout, I just can't bring myself to give them any of my money.

OP
OP
JPlay

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
I remember in NBA live you could create you own teams taking players from around the league. Also the ratings were way more accurate.

I had a team of all 3 point shooters. A team of all 7 footers and a team of all shooting guards. It was tight.

The best game was Double Dribble. Reverse Dunk!

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
NBA Live and NBA 2k5 all allow you to tweak everyone's ratings. I did it to the Suns to try to make them more realistic to their current skill sets. (i.e. Q's 3-point shooting, Amare's speed, etc...)