Starting thread for Video Game Kumite

Should the Video Game tournament be 32 or 64 games?

• Total voters

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have compiled a list of some of the best video games of all time. I currently have 61 titles. I'd like to make the tournament either 32 games, or increase the amount of games to 64. Now after looking over this list, I would like you to vote to make the tournament 32 or 64 games. If we choose 64 games, I will need some suggestions of games that I missed.

Here is the list sorted by video game system.

NES
  • Battletoads
  • Dragon Warrior
  • Contra
  • Baseball Stars
  • Mike Tyson's Punchout
  • Legend of Zelda
  • Mega Man
  • Tecmo Super Bowl
  • Super Mario
  • Super Mario 3
  • Double Dragon

SNES
  • F-Zero
  • Chrono Trigger
  • Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
  • Super Metroid
  • Donkey Kong Country

Genesis
  • Sonic the Hedgehog

Gameboy/GBA
  • Pokemon Red/Blue
  • Advance Wars

Nintendo 64
  • Goldeneye 007
  • Mario Kart 64
  • Super Mario 64
  • Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Dreamcast
  • Soul Caliber

Playstation
  • Final Fantasy VII
  • Metal Gear Solid
  • Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
  • Tomb Raider

Xbox
  • Halo
  • Knights of the Old Republic

Gamecube
  • Metroid Prime
  • Super Smash Bros. Melee
  • Resident Evil 4

PS2
  • Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec
  • God of War

• Halo 3
  • Bioshock
  • Gears of War

Wii
  • Wii Sports
  • Super Mario Galaxy

Arcade
  • Ms. Pac Man
  • Galaga
  • Mortal Kombat 3
  • NBA Jams
  • Street Fighter II

PC
  • Sim City 2000
  • Doom
  • Ultima VII
  • Half-Life 2
  • Sid Meier's Pirates!
  • Oregon Trail
  • World of Warcraft
  • Microsoft Flight Simulator X

Multi
  • Tetris
  • Grand Theft Auto III
  • Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2
  • Rainbow Six
  • Prince of Persia
  • Guitar Hero 3
  • Call of Duty 4
  • Rock Band
  • Fight Night Round 3
  • The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
  • Assassin's Creed

Last edited:

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
playing the games? on what?

Its a vote on preference (ie "If you had a choice between Super Mario 3 and Halo 3 which would you pick?"). We could have seats decided on sales or some other factor but you'd decide which you'd pick.

Now onto the list ... Are we voting for the franchises of Contra, Mega Man, Sonic, God of War, etc or just picking the original?

No Ninja Gaiden (XBOX)? Street Fighter 2 (and its 8 billion sequels that weren't really sequels)? Jak and Daxter? Ratchet and Clank?

Also you have GTA 3 on there twice

Last edited:

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NES Double Dragon, NES Spy Hunter,

6400 Joust, 6400 Donkey Kong, 6400, Dig Dug

Multi or PC, Dune and Star Craft

PS1 Tomb Raider

My 2 cents

Last edited:

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Cosign.

I say the vote isnt for series, but specific Game (system); por ejemplo

Double Dragon (NES)

Tomb Raider (PS)

Works for me but if we were to do it that way I'd change some of the entries on the kumite. For example most people would prefer Mega Man 2 or Mega Man X over the original Mega Man

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
A few other suggestions:

- Silent Hill
- TMNT: Turtles in Time (guilty pleasure)
- Psychonauts (although sales sucked, it is a great game)
- Tekken: Dark Resurrection
- Marvel vs. Capcom 2
- Super Mario Kart
- Conker's Bad Fur Day

and after we're done with the best of the best kumite tournament, we should do a worst of the worst one

Last edited:

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
If it were me, I'd go with 32...maybe even 16 considering the traffic frequency of the Gaming Forum.

FArting

Lopes Up!
Reaction score
I 'd go with 64.

What about adding Tetris for NES and NBA Jam Tournament Edition for SNES

HeavyB3

Unregistered User
Reaction score
Final Fantasy III (VI) for SNES is way better than Chrono Trigger or Link to the PAst in the SNES category.

Oh and make Megaman Megaman 2 too lol

OP
OP
dreamcastrocks

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll leave the poll open for another few days to see if we want to use 32 or 64 games. I'll plan on 64 until we decide.

So far, I have added Double Dragon and Tomb Raider to the list, while taking off the extra GTAIII.

I have 63 games so far. If you guys feel that more games should be added, some games need to be taken off.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Madden needs a representative (I'd replace Fight Night with it, personally).

OP
OP
dreamcastrocks

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Madden needs a representative (I'd replace Fight Night with it, personally).

You're right. I thought about Madden 97, as that is probably the most groundbreaking of the series.

Last edited:

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
That list is way too back heavy IMO. Classic games are good for nostalgia but games like Double Dragon technically suck in many ways. Even a cheesy NES games like Goonies 2, Hogan's Alley, Duck Hunt were better. I think there are way too much props given to the old stuff. There is no ESPN NFL 2K5 or even NFL 2K, there isn't even one Star Wars game on the list. Where is Super Star Wars or Star Wars arcade? No Dance Dance Revolution? That might be the biggest arcade game ever.

Last edited:
OP
OP
dreamcastrocks

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That list is way too back heavy IMO. Classic games are good for nostalgia but games like Double Dragon technically suck in many ways. Even a cheesy NES games like Goonies 2, Hogan's Alley, Duck Hunt were better. I think there are way too much props given to the old stuff. There is no ESPN NFL 2K5 or even NFL 2K, there isn't even one Star Wars game on the list. Where is Super Star Wars or Star Wars arcade? No Dance Dance Revolution? That might be the biggest arcade game ever.

I put that list together in all about 10 minutes. It is far from being complete.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Neat idea by the way. Other thoughts...

Microsoft Flight Simulator X: Microsoft's flight sim series for twenty years has been the gold standard that all PC simulators are compared to, even professional pilots use it for practice. In terms of influence, it is probably in the top ten all time among PC video game franchises.

Knights of the Old Republic: Star Wars has a long history of being the subject of some very good games (along with some very not so good games), and KOTOR is arguably the best of the bunch.

MVP Baseball 2005: EA was just so far ahead of everybody else with their MVP series, its a shame that they can't make baseball games anymore. MVP Baseball 2005 was one of the most memorable sports games for the last generation console lineup.

Lastly, Mario is big and all, but having 10% of the games on the list is probably a bit much.

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Are you taking into considerationg the multiplayer aspect of games or not? If so some i enjoyed were Crimson Skies, Unreal Tournament, Return to Castle Wolfenstein and Halo 2. Also I've got great college memories from playing and wagering (usually impaired) on Tiger Woods PGA Tour series. :)

OP
OP
dreamcastrocks

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Neat idea by the way. Other thoughts...

Microsoft Flight Simulator X: Microsoft's flight sim series for twenty years has been the gold standard that all PC simulators are compared to, even professional pilots use it for practice. In terms of influence, it is probably in the top ten all time among PC video game franchises.

Knights of the Old Republic: Star Wars has a long history of being the subject of some very good games (along with some very not so good games), and KOTOR is arguably the best of the bunch.

MVP Baseball 2005: EA was just so far ahead of everybody else with their MVP series, its a shame that they can't make baseball games anymore. MVP Baseball 2005 was one of the most memorable sports games for the last generation console lineup.

Lastly, Mario is big and all, but having 10% of the games on the list is probably a bit much.

KOTOR is one game that I definitely want to add. I played that game for about 15 hours, but I liked what I played. I can definitely see why people took to it. Flight simulator is another game that should get added somewhere.

Super Mario World is probably the only game that can get removed from the Mario list. Super Mario Bros, Mario 3, Mario 64, Mario Kart, and Super Mario Galaxy are all games worthy of the list IMO.

Are you taking into considerationg the multiplayer aspect of games or not? If so some i enjoyed were Crimson Skies, Unreal Tournament, Return to Castle Wolfenstein and Halo 2. Also I've got great college memories from playing and wagering (usually impaired) on Tiger Woods PGA Tour series. :)

I'll consider those games. The only one that will probably make the list IMO is a Tiger game. I already have Halo and Halo 3, and most of those other games, there were others in the genre and time that were better IMO...

Definitely open to more suggestions....

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How do you not have Mutant League Football on the list? :thud: