DJ traded to the Texans for DeAndre Freaking Hopkins

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
From Peter King
• On the DeAndre Hopkins deal: In 2018, I thought Hopkins was the best receiver in football. In 2019, he had one fewer target, one fewer catch . . . but was less explosive. Why? His average depth of target (per PFF) was a yard and a half less than in 2018, but it’s hard to say whether one year is a trend or a snapshot. I do know that Hopkins wanting a new contract with three years left would be a real turnoff if I were running the Texans. Now, whatever the side details, it’s ridiculous that Houston got the 40th pick in the draft

My favorite theory comes from a CNN story: Panic buying begets panic buying. Makes sense to me. I just wonder what people will do when they wake up in October in a Covid-free country (I hope) with seven years of toilet paper stacked up in the basement.

Don’t you dare diss DeAndre. From Tom Walsh: “Until you delve deeply into the analytics of DeAndre Hopkins season, including times he may have been open but the ball was not going in his direction or the times defenses doubled him or rotated coverage in his direction (forcing QBs to go elsewhere), or just how many pass plays were called with him as the number one receiver in the QB’s progression, or how many balls directed at him were deemed uncatchable or deflected, a general assumption when just looking at raw statistics over a couple of seasons is an unfair attempt to paint with a broad brush what you intimate is a decline and productivity that was not that explosive.”

Hopkins, in yards per catch, was 14.4 in 2017, 13.7 in 2018, and 11.2 last year. He was an all-pro player, clearly, in 2018, the best receiver in football in my opinion. Do you think that in 2019 there were many “times he may have been open but the ball was not going in his direction,” as you say? Do you think Deshaun Watson, who targeted him 10.2 times per game in 2018 and 10.0 times per game last year, would bypass him frequently, particularly with Will Fuller, the number two guy for Watson, missing significant time for the second straight year? I love Hopkins. I would not have made the deal Houston did. But thinking they might have for some reason not gone to him as much in 2019 and 2018 doesn’t make sense to me.

TruColor

Trombonist in Roger Goodell's Wedding Rcpt.
Reaction score
This is an excerpt from an article from The Atlantic this morning - "Best move, worst move and other awards from the first wave of NFL free agency":

Best move: The Cardinals acquiring WR DeAndre Hopkins
I’d like to think the seeds for this deal were planted in mid-January with GM Steve Keim, coach Kliff Kingsbury and other Cardinals staffers sitting in a conference room brainstorming ideas for improving their roster. What I’m imagining:
Kingsbury: What are our options with that David Johnson contract?
Keim: It’s gonna be tough — $10.2 million guaranteed next season. Can’t see anyone taking that on. We would have to eat a big chunk of the salary. Might even have to throw in something else. I learned my lesson the hard way about paying running backs.
Kingsbury: I hear you. Don’t beat yourself up over it. We got the quarterback right. Sky’s the limit for Kyler (Murray). We just need to get him some more help.
George the intern: Hey, I have an idea.
Keim: Speak up. That’s why we have you in here.
George the intern: What if we could kill two birds with one stone?
Kingsbury: Go on, we’re listening.
George the intern: What if we traded Johnson to the Texans? They’re losing Carlos Hyde and might be intrigued by his pass-catching ability.
Keim: I could give Billy (O’Brien) a call, offer to pick up some of that salary and see what he says.
George the intern: Maybe he’d take on the whole salary.
Keim: (Starts to laugh.) Yeah, sure, kid. What’s the second part of this proposed deal?
George the intern: We get DeAndre Hopkins back.
Kingsbury: (Falls out of his chair from uncontrollable laughter.)
George the intern: Well, we would throw in something else — maybe like a second-round pick this year and a fourth next year? Who knows? Maybe they’d give us a fourth back?
Kingsbury: (Rolling on the floor with tears running down his cheeks.)
Keim: Listen, George, we brought you here because we thought you could offer a fresh voice. But if you’re not gonna take this seriously, we’re not gonna keep you around. Here’s 20 bucks. Go grab us some burritos for lunch, and when you get back, be ready to discuss some ideas that we might be able to realistically execute. We’re trying to improve our football team here and don’t have a lot of time.
Kingsbury: (Slowly starts to pull himself off the ground and back into his chair.)
George the intern: (Sheepishly takes the $20 and exits the room.)
(End scene)
OK, now that we’ve gone through that exercise, you get the point. The Cardinals were able to rid themselves of their worst contract and add a 27-year-old wide receiver who has averaged 1,372 yards per season over the last three years and has never missed more than one game in a season. This is the type of deal that would get vetoed if it went down in your fantasy league. You’d immediately suspect the two sides of some sort of collusion.
The Cardinals offense finished 13th in efficiency last season. Murray will now be throwing to Hopkins, Larry Fitzgerald and Christian Kirk. The Cardinals also have second-year receivers who could step up. Oh, and they have the No. 8 overall pick. Arizona has a chance to make a huge leap next season and be a lot of fun to watch.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Hahaha yes indeed it well for the Texans thank god for the clown obrain he is gonna get booed insanely next ye I soooo cant wait!!

Keim was a bank robber on this trade hahaha

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Great video on DHOP and Simmons (they called him potentially a faster Urlacher).

Last edited:

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Interesting outcome from the trade that most of you have probably considered already but I am a bit late on...

Hopkins will obviously draw the #1 CB.
Fitz will probably get #2 vs #1
Kirk will get #3 vs #2

I would expect even better production from those guys as well

gbrim21

Veteran
Reaction score
Interesting outcome from the trade that most of you have probably considered already but I am a bit late on...

Hopkins will obviously draw the #1 CB.
Fitz will probably get #2 vs #1
Kirk will get #3 vs #2

I would expect even better production from those guys as well
I don't know if Isabella will make a big step forward, but his speed would also really open up the short to mid passing game for those guys as well. If Isabella can contribute, even just as a threat will help everyone.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Schein Nine

NFL signings/trades with the biggest impact on the 2020 season

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...es-with-the-biggest-impact-on-the-2020-season

2) DeAndre Hopkins, WR, Arizona Cardinals

How he was acquired: Traded from Houston to Arizona (along with a 2020 fourth-round pick) in exchange for RB David Johnson, a 2020 second-round pick and a 2021 fourth-rounder.

The only thing missing from this transaction was a ski mask and a gun. Steve Keim robbed the Texans. I still can't believe this trade actually went down.

Hopkins has been one of the very best receivers in the NFL for years. Even when he was paired with quarterbacks like Brian Hoyer, Ryan Mallett, Brock Osweiler and Tom Savage, the guy still put up numbers. With Deshaun Watson under center, he was predictably magical. Hopkins is a flat-out megastar. And now, the Cardinals get him at age 27, at the peak of his powers.

With Kliff Kingsbury calling plays for a receiving corps that includes Hopkins, Larry Fitzgerald and Christian Kirk, Kyler Murray will be in heaven. I won't bat an eye if Hopkins leads the league in catches and yards this year.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson