Did Anyone else catch the Kyler Murray tidbit?

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I actually saw 2 folks caught it but doesn't seem to be really being discussed which is bizarre. Don't get it twisted. I am fully on the KM bandwagon. Have been and admitted I was wrong when we drafted him. He is clearly talented.

But seriously. "The worst 3rd down completion % in the entire league the last 2 years with exception of Sam freaking Donald"

This should be VERY concerning IMO. It would also be something that needs to be much improved one would think for a monster contract?

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of the big problems is lack of first down yardage and pre-snap penalties.
This offense is too conservative early in games and downs. We probably lead the league in passes behind the line of scrimmage. Our philosophy seems to be “ make them stop the short stuff and then we’ll go over the top”. Too many times we are 3rd and long. Sometimes very long. That’s not a recipe for success.
It’s not working. Just like the hurry up no huddle offense is not working.
KK better see this or we are going to see continued inconsistency.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I actually saw 2 folks caught it but doesn't seem to be really being discussed which is bizarre. Don't get it twisted. I am fully on the KM bandwagon. Have been and admitted I was wrong when we drafted him. He is clearly talented.

But seriously. "The worst 3rd down completion % in the entire league the last 2 years with exception of Sam freaking Donald"

This should be VERY concerning IMO. It would also be something that needs to be much improved one would think for a monster contract?
Nothing to be a shamed of in not wanting to draft him. Just as long as you didn't want to stay with Rosen.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Maybe it's just me..... But I put roughly 60% of that stat on Kliff's insane play-calling and another 15 to 20% of that stat on our ineptitude against a strong pass rush. It's not rocket science to know that Kyler isn't great over the middle between 10 and 25 yards. His inability to set and fire in the face of a blitz is well known at this point.

Meanwhile.... All I seem to see are quick out's 3 yards short of the down marker and mesh concepts in the middle of the box. I truly have no idea what in the heck Kliff is thinking having Kyler go to this on 3rd down when we all know that Kyler's deep outs and plays beyond 20 yards outside the hash that make him special.

Kliff's schemes are going to crush this season.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I caught it too and it definitely needs to be fixed. I put a lot of it though on that fact that we are, more times than not, 3rd and forever because Kliff/Kugler can’t teach our o-line to stop drawing flags.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Maybe it's just me..... But I put roughly 60% of that stat on Kliff's insane play-calling and another 15 to 20% of that stat on our ineptitude against a strong pass rush. It's not rocket science to know that Kyler isn't great over the middle between 10 and 25 yards. His inability to set and fire in the face of a blitz is well known at this point.

Meanwhile.... All I seem to see are quick out's 3 yards short of the down marker and mesh concepts in the middle of the box. I truly have no idea what in the heck Kliff is thinking having Kyler go to this on 3rd down when we all know that Kyler's deep outs and plays beyond 20 yards outside the hash that make him special.

Kliff's schemes are going to crush this season.

I hope you're wrong. Last night's pitiful performance by the first team offense is concerning not matter how vanilla it was. It was eerily reminiscent of late last season. I thought James Conner's performance was especially disappointing. He appears to be done. I'd seriously consider keeping the two young guys if he doesn't show something next week.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Part of this is Murray but part of it is also that every team in the league knows what the play call is likely to be on 3rd down.

It's either an out route to the sticks or a come back to the sticks. Either way, most of the time it's to the sticks. Just got to play zone to the 1st down marker and you're golden.

Last edited:

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I hope you're wrong. Last night's pitiful performance by the first team offense is concerning not matter how vanilla it was. It was eerily reminiscent of late last season. I thought James Conner's performance was especially disappointing. He appears to be done. I'd seriously consider keeping the two young guys if he doesn't show something next week.
Two carries and you say he appears to be done.

Wow. <facepalm>

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yeah... I commented on that on the thread when the announcer said it. That’s an ugly stat.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Yeah that comment took me by surprise. It needs to reverse for kyler to be great.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
One of the big problems is lack of first down yardage and pre-snap penalties.
This offense is too conservative early in games and downs. We probably lead the league in passes behind the line of scrimmage. Our philosophy seems to be “ make them stop the short stuff and then we’ll go over the top”. Too many times we are 3rd and long. Sometimes very long. That’s not a recipe for success.
It’s not working. Just like the hurry up no huddle offense is not working.
KK better see this or we are going to see continued inconsistency.
Paired with 3rd down play design which seems targeted to run routes to the sticks - and everyone knows it.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think that stat reflects the fact that Kyler doesn't have that inherent instinct that the elite QBs have in processing what is happening on the play. I think he will develop as he ages, or I hope so, he's just not football savvy yet. I guess Josh Allen is an example of that also and he has benefitted from a coaching staff that connected with him, developed him and taylored the offense to his strengths.

I think it's a combination of Kyler's inexperience and personality and Kliff's crazy and abominable play calls, particularly on 3rd downs. KM just isn't Kurt and can't tell the coach "F U" I'm doing it my way. Kyler has also not had the most stellar OLine in the league contrary to the "improvement" some think last year's line showed.

Anyway, I still hold out hope that KM will figure it out and be the QB here for a long, long time.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I caught it too and it definitely needs to be fixed. I put a lot of it though on that fact that we are, more times than not, 3rd and forever because Kliff/Kugler can’t teach our o-line to stop drawing flags.

Hahaha. It everyones fault except the guy who assembles the roster. You must be Keim or Keim's family

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Sometimes these things take years to figure out. You’d think we’d know for sure after this coming season whether Kyler is a franchise QB or not… Everyone thought guys like Marcus Mariota, Carson Wentz and Derek Carr were going to be surefire studs after two years. Meanwhile the Browns aren’t positive Mayfield is their guy and the Ravens haven’t extended Lamar yet. With our OL/WR units there’s really no excuses for Kyler/Kliff this year.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Kyler had to at least get a first down yesterday before he was off the filed. Not sure why he agreed to be taken off the field. I wish Kliff never played the starters last night. Atleast some fake hope would remain for many of us. I cannot believe fans here think Chase and Conner are #1, #2 punch at RB that will produce and help Kyler in the passing games.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Sometimes these things take years to figure out. You’d think we’d know for sure after this coming season whether Kyler is a franchise QB or not… Everyone thought guys like Marcus Mariota, Carson Wentz and Derek Carr were going to be surefire studs after two years. Meanwhile the Browns aren’t positive Mayfield is their guy and the Ravens haven’t extended Lamar yet. With our OL/WR units there’s really no excuses for Kyler/Kliff this year.

If preseason showed anything, OL is going to be average or above average..

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Do they have the average distance of the third downs?

Kyler's career 3rd down conversion rate is 57.5% which breaks down like this.

3rd and 4-6 - 58.4%
3rd and 6-9 - 57.9%
3rd and 10+ - 51.7%

More concerning is that even with the addition of Hopkins he got worse last year. Only 55.56%.

Josh Allen has a worse career 3rd down conversion at 57.06% but it was 66.96% last year.

For direct comparison Daniel Jones is 64.71% career.

I'd suggest the bar is around 60% which is Aaron Rodgers career 3rd down rate.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Murray ran for several of those 1st downs. It’s a problem but likely correctable.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hahaha. It everyones fault except the guy who assembles the roster. You must be Keim or Keim's family
So your position is that Kyler’s 3rd down percentage is so poor because of Steve Kiem? Did he take your mother out to a seafood dinner and never call her again?

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yes that stat is a huge concern but I was more upset with the stupid sack he took instead of just throwing the ball away. It was only 2 or 3 yards but he should know better by now.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
So your position is that Kyler’s 3rd down percentage is so poor because of Steve Kiem? Did he take your mother out to a seafood dinner and never call her again?
This comeback is like your GM's record in the past five years - Below average.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
This comeback is like your GM's record in the past five years - Below average.
GM encompasses more than draft picks (hence free agency which Keim is above average to be truthful) which as a whole venture on miss more than hit but I think that most successful young QBs need one exceptional draft class to buck the odds to win a SB

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
GM encompasses more than draft picks (hence free agency which Keim is above average to be truthful) which as a whole venture on miss more than hit but I think that most successful young QBs need one exceptional draft class to buck the odds to win a SB
I always disagree that “winning a super bowl” is the only measure for success. Only one team gets to win a super bowl every year, but you can still have a successful season because so much of the rest is luck.

I also quibble with the notion that Keim is above average in free agency. Spending a ton of money on Jordan Phillips and Devon Kennard didn’t yield squat. Spent seven figures in Robert Alford again last season.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson