Diamondbacks sign SP Eduardo Rodriguez

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
LFG!!!

The Diamondbacks and left-hander Eduardo Rodriguez are in agreement on a four-year deal with an average annual value in the $20MM range, per Jeff Passan of ESPN. MLB Network’s Jon Morosi reported earlier this evening that Arizona was a finalist for Rodriguez’s services.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Love this. Top 4 spots are secured. Would love a cheap vet to anchor the back end of the rotation.
I've read ARZ has been linked to Michael Wacha. Not sure what he is seeking or if Rodriguez signing removes their interest but Wacha has bounced around the last couple of years after a great start to his career in STL. He had a good year with SD last year so he should have interest around the league. Another intriguing option is Dakoda Hudson. Been injured the last couple of years but if Brett Strom could get him right, he will be a steal.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Would like to see a prospect at the fifth spot. We need to find out if these guys we drafted got something! Guys like Ryan Nelson need time to develop. Not saying him in particular, but you get the idea.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would like to see a prospect at the fifth spot. We need to find out if these guys we drafted got something! Guys like Ryan Nelson need time to develop. Not saying him in particular, but you get the idea.
While I'd love that and think Henry would have the leg up in the #5 spot, I think some of these young ares will end up in the bullpen. Drey looks like a future closer to me.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We should completely be in on a low end vet #5 because you can't assume health on your starters all year.

I am ESPECIALLY worried about Gallen and the extreme wear we put on that arm the last year. Fozzy Bear would be a great low end 5 starter.

We are in the contention phase of a young team. All those cost control pitchers can continue to develop for a year. Kelly is on his last year anyway.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sign Fozzy. Sign JD or Turner to a 2-3 year deal. Trade for Arozarena or resign Lourdes. Get a cheap backup 2b with a great glove like Schoop. Call it a great off season

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After getting my wish for E-Rod, this is my dream off season. This is my order of wish

#1 Dbacks trade for Randy Arozarena. Tailor made for this lineup with 3 years of cost control. Would make this trade over the Soto trade on a 1 year deal 10/10. He gives tremendous lineup flexiblity. I personally would move Carrol to 3 and have Arozarena lead off with Marte after him.

#2. Turner DH 2 years 23 million team option second year. Just overall a better hitter than JD despite the age difference.

#3. Johnny Schoop 1 year league minimum. Multi Gold glove infielder who can only hit lefties but he is perfect super sub on a contending team. You bat him 9th and don't care if Ketel gets hurt.

#4. Wacha Wacha 1 year 7 million. A 5th starter isn't as important until you realize that only 58 pitchers in the majors made it to 150 innings.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My new lineup:

LF Randy Arozarena (R)
2B Ketel Marte (Switch)
1B Christian Walker (R)
RF Corbin Carroll (L)
DH Justin Turner (R)
3B Eugenio Suarez (R)
C Gabriel Moreno (R)
CF Alek Thomas (L)
SS Geraldo Perdomo (L)

The only problem would be the 3 righties in a row except your bench has:

C - Herrera (S)
2B - Schoop (R)
3B - Peterson (L)
SS - Lawler (R)
LF/RF - McCarthy (L)
OF - Fletcher (L)

So a ton of lefties on the bench

Last edited:

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Since when did Corbin Carroll start playing first base? I like him better as an outfielder. :eek: :moon:

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
20 million per year seems like a really good price.

Plissken

Reaction score
From Just Baseball:

11. Eduardo Rodríguez

2023 Stats: 13-9 with a 3.30 ERA, 3.66 FIP and 3.0 WAR across 152 2/3 innings pitched
Age in 2024: 31
Contract Prediction: Four years, $80 million
Team Prediction: St. Louis Cardinals

Rodríguez’s first season with the Detroit Tigers was a disappointment, as stints on both the injured and restricted lists limited him to just 17 starts. However, he bounced back nicely in his second season with the Tigers, going 13-9 with a 3.30 ERA and 3.66 FIP across 152 2/3 innings pitched.
History tells us Rodríguez is probably more likely to make 25 starts per year than 33, and he did use his no-trade clause to block a July trade that would have sent him to the Los Angeles Dodgers. However, Rodríguez still opted out of the final three years and $49 million on the original five-year deal he signed with the Tigers, so the lefty clearly expects to have his fair share of suitors.
Actual Deal: Four years, $80 Million with Arizona Diamondbacks

Bonus points for blocking a trade to the Dodgers.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson