Diamondbacks 2010 Season Thread

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The thing that worries me is that we have to send Haren out there on short rest until Webb gets back when we know he struggles in the second half....hopefully we can keep winning and have the option to rest him later on.

Haren won't be pitching on any short days. The Diamondbacks will use Benson when they need a 5th starter.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Diamondbacks take the series with a 15-6 win. Howry came in the 9th and gave up his 3rd homer this year. Let's hope he gets it together.

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
Haren won't be pitching on any short days. The Diamondbacks will use Benson when they need a 5th starter.
Well he's scheduled to pitch on 3 days rest against the Dodgers right?

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Well he's scheduled to pitch on 3 days rest against the Dodgers right?
No, Haren will be pitching on four days rest vs. the Dodgers on Thu. He last pitched Saturday.

Tomorrow is an off-day before the series begins.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
4 days rest is normal rest. You pitch every 5th day.
Exactly. Nasser22 asked if Dan was going to be starting on three days rest.

The last D'back to start on three days rest was, I believe, Curt Schilling in the World Series. He started games 1-4-7, with travel days between games 2-3 and 5-6.

That enabled RJ to start games 1 and 6, and relieve in game 7, all at home.

It was a brilliant move by Bob Brenly and the main reason why we won the Series, despite Kim's shellackings.

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
Fallout from the 13 run inning

Pirates designated RHP Hayden Penn for assignment.
The Pirates needed space on the 40-man roster for Monday's starter Brian Burress. Penn, who was claimed off waivers from the Marlins last month, allowed eight runs in 2 1/3 innings of work over the first week of the season.

Link

Pirates optioned RHP Daniel McCutchen to Triple-A Indianapolis.
That didn't take long. The 27-year-old right-hander was roughed for nine runs over just 3 1/3 innings against the Diamondbacks on Sunday. The Pirates have two off days in the next seven days, so they can wait about 10 days before making a decision on a fifth starter.

Link

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm glad I had to work and missed today's game against the Dodgers. Did Kennedy look that bad?

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Not meaning to be blasphemous, but . . . In the big inning, God created an inconsistent team.

From inning to inning and from game to game. Get handcuffed, go wild, get handcuffed.

AJ's gonna have to work on that. Especially with our current starting pitching staff. Or maybe not.

The D'backs play AL baseball. Very little hit-and-run. Very little base stealing. Very little hitting behind the runner or moving the runners.

It is conducive to inconsistency on offense.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lopez not pitching as well as last week. 5-3 LA in the 4th.

Nasser22

Reaction score
We really need some insurance runs here. I have no faith yet in the bullpen...

Edit: Yes sir!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We really need some insurance runs here. I have no faith yet in the bullpen...

Edit: Yes sir!

Yep, Qualls blows the lead in the 9th but Chris Young came through against our buddy Russ Ortiz in the 11th to put the Diamondbacks up. Rosales shut down the Dodgers and the Diamondbacks won 9-7.

PoolBoy

BIRDGANG
Reaction score
huge win, I have a feeling its going to be a very close 4 team race for the west, and EVERY division game is HUGE. even in april.

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
Benson named 5th starter

veteran rhp kris benson will be the dbacks no. 5 starter. he'll face SD on saturday at petco.

http://twitter.com/nickpiecoro/status/12240853550

Kris Benson is scheduled to join the Diamondbacks' rotation to start Saturday against the Padres.

He beat out Billy Buckner and Kevin Mulvey for the assignment. It will be Benson's first major league appearance since last June 6 as a member of the Rangers. The 35-year-old right-hander tallied an ugly 8.46 ERA and 2.01 WHIP in 22 1/3 innings last season and hasn't made 30 starts in a season since 2006. He obviously shouldn't be on your fantasy radar.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=MLB&id=2738

In addition, both LaRoche and Kelly Johnson will not play tonight against the Dodgers

Kelly Johnson (back) was held out of Thursday's lineup.

The second baseman exited Wednesday's game against the Dodgers with back stiffness. He's expected to return this weekend, probably Saturday.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=MLB&id=446

Adam LaRoche was scratched from Thursday's lineup with quad tightness.

LaRoche, batting .267/.371/.367 in 30 at-bats, is likely day-to-day.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=MLB&id=3792

Last edited:

Tyler

Registered
Reaction score
I hope Kris Benson can regain whatever confidence he lost from his injury. This could turn out to be a smart offseason move.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Diamondbacks leading 5-3 in the bottom of the 9th and Qualls blows another save opportunity. He started the inning walking the leadoff hitter and Drew threw the ball in the stands with two outs to let the Dodgers tie the game. They now go to the top of the 10th inning.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Diamondbacks leading 5-3 in the bottom of the 9th and Qualls blows another save opportunity. He started the inning walking the leadoff hitter and Drew threw the ball in the stands with two outs to let the Dodgers tie the game. They now go to the top of the 10th inning.

Qualls couldn't get anyone out... 3 hits and 2 walks. :bang:

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
It is going to be a very long year when each game is in doubt once the bullpen enters. I don't find that enjoyable at all. it will be a tough sell again this year - Byrnes did nothing to fix the glaring problem from last year. Offense is slightly better, but the bullpen is still atrocious. Haren looked pissed when Hielman served up the game.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Maybe it's time to give Gutierrez a shot as closer.
Qualls has never looked like a closer. I think, before too long, Gutierrez will be given that opportunity.

Regarding who will be the setup man . . . I would rather have a sold closer and look for a setup man than vice versa.

Nasser22

Reaction score
The offense once again did pretty well only to have the bullpen blow it again, twice in this game. Wow...losing to the Dodgers is never easy to take, especially when it comes like this. I really like the team we have right now, but we can't have this happen every game.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
The offense once again did pretty well only to have the bullpen blow it again, twice in this game. Wow...losing to the Dodgers is never easy to take, especially when it comes like this. I really like the team we have right now, but we can't have this happen every game.
It wouldn't if we had a strong closer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard