Devin Vassell

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
He sort of gives off vibes like a player the Suns might draft... what they want in a player.

Agreed. I just don't think there is room for him unless they trade Oubre or Bridges to fill another need.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed. I just don't think there is room for him unless they trade Oubre or Bridges to fill another need.

I doubt Bridges is going anywhere. Draft BPA at #10 and go from there. If Vassell is that guy, do it although I like other players around this spot as well. Vassell may not be there anyway.

Trades and free agency will follow.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Watching the Celtics, they play a lot of forwards on the floor at a time. Maybe this is the way it is going?

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Watching the Celtics, they play a lot of forwards on the floor at a time. Maybe this is the way it is going?

They have two lights-out shooters in Tatum and Heyward, an athletic freak with power forward bulk (225 pounds) in Jaylen Brown, another wing with power forward bulk (240 pounds) in Ojeleye, a 220 pound shooting guard in Marcus Smart, and a lightning quick point guard in Walker.

Even if Boston were a possible model, rather than an anomaly (and I maintain it is an anomaly largely thanks to Brad Stevens), our roster is too far away from that to make it work.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
I think Vassell can get 15+ minutes at SG and another 5+ at SF even if we keep Bridges and Oubre.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This is where I thought it was headed until the Lakers and bully ball entered the picture.

The way Dwight Howard was allowed to manhandle Jokic was discouraging.

I was really enjoying the playoffs until this style of play was allowed.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think Vassell can get 15+ minutes at SG and another 5+ at SF even if we keep Bridges and Oubre.

Do you really think that both Bridges and Oubre will play less than 25 minutes a game, and that Cam won't get any time at SF?

JerkFace

Reaction score
Do you really think that both Bridges and Oubre will play less than 25 minutes a game, and that Cam won't get any time at SF?
I think if we draft Vassell that we will play a lot more small ball lineups with Bridges, Oubre, and Johnson all logging minutes at PF.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think if we draft Vassell that we will play a lot more small ball lineups with Bridges, Oubre, and Johnson all logging minutes at PF.

That would get us bullied off the court by the likes of the Lakers, Clippers, Nuggets, Spurs, Blazers, etc. No line-up can survive in the NBA with only one player weighing more than 210 pounds.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The forwards would almost be interchangeable. Then the Suns would need to focus on role 4/5s that can back up Ayton. Bridges and Vassell might be able to play some shooting guard.

The way Dwight Howard plays has got me thinking again about Myles Turner.

Also another low salary point guard would be nice.

JerkFace

Reaction score
That would get us bullied off the court by the likes of the Lakers, Clippers, Nuggets, Spurs, Blazers, etc. No line-up can survive in the NBA with only one player weighing more than 210 pounds.
It’s not my first choice, but if we can’t sign a free agent PF (does anyone fit the bill after Ibaka?) and nothing materializes trade wise (it takes 2 to tango) then our choices are limited. I also never said it would be our standard lineup. At points the Clippers play Morris at PF, Denver plays Porter jr and Grant, Portland plays Anthony. In certain situations any of Oubre/Bridges/Johnson could easily match up with those PFers.

JerkFace

Reaction score
The forwards would almost be interchangeable. Then the Suns would need to focus on role 4/5s that can back up Ayton. Bridges and Vassell might be able to play some shooting guard.

The way Dwight Howard plays has got me thinking again about Myles Turner.

Also another low salary point guard would be nice.
I would be all about trading for Turner. I think he would be a fabulous acquisition.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would be all about trading for Turner. I think he would be a fabulous acquisition.

It would probably have to be a three team trade as I can't see the Pacers having any interest in Oubre if the Suns were inclined to trade him.

Perhaps the Suns could figure out away to absorb Turner's contract. They'd have to give up a first round pick but I could live with that.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
This is where I thought it was headed until the Lakers and bully ball entered the picture.

The way Dwight Howard was allowed to manhandle Jokic was discouraging.

I was really enjoying the playoffs until this style of play was allowed.
How I fealt about the Pistons.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How I fealt about the Pistons.

The old Pistons would do that but at least you knew it was coming.

Some nice basketball was being played in the playoffs and then come the Lakers. SMH

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
The old Pistons would do that but at least you knew it was coming.

Some nice basketball was being played in the playoffs and then come the Lakers. SMH
But the refs would do every game that wasn't a Pistons game a certain way, then swallow their whistles during Pistons games. Some ofg the old footage, abd people like Lambier talking about manhandling other players, etc., it was like it was a big joke to them they were getting away with it!

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But the refs would do every game that wasn't a Pistons game a certain way, then swallow their whistles during Pistons games. Some ofg the old footage, abd people like Lambier talking about manhandling other players, etc., it was like it was a big joke to them they were getting away with it!

I'm mostly looking at the current Western Conference playoffs. It appears the Pistons are back!

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
It’s not my first choice, but if we can’t sign a free agent PF (does anyone fit the bill after Ibaka?) and nothing materializes trade wise (it takes 2 to tango) then our choices are limited. I also never said it would be our standard lineup. At points the Clippers play Morris at PF, Denver plays Porter jr and Grant, Portland plays Anthony. In certain situations any of Oubre/Bridges/Johnson could easily match up with those PFers.

Morris, Porter, Grant and Anthony all outweigh the heaviest of Oubre/Bridges/Cam by at least 20 pounds, and Bridges and Cam are also slower than each of them. How is that easily matching up?

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Morris, Porter, Grant and Anthony all outweigh the heaviest of Oubre/Bridges/Cam by at least 20 pounds, and Bridges and Cam are also slower than each of them. How is that easily matching up?

The Suns are not going to be playing all these players at the same time. I still like Jerami Grant but I also realize that Oubre and Grant are almost the same player.

https://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/2991070/jerami-grant

https://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/3133603/kelly-oubre-jr

Bridges and Cam are not slower than the above players. Also their bodies will mature as they age. Marcus Morris and Carmelo Anthony are 31 and 36 respectively.

When Michael Porter Jr. fills out his body, a lot of teams will have trouble dealing with him but he is not there yet.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The Suns are not going to be playing all these players at the same time. I still like Jerami Grant but I also realize that Oubre and Grant are almost the same player.

https://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/2991070/jerami-grant

https://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/3133603/kelly-oubre-jr

Bridges and Cam are not slower than the above players. Also their bodies will mature as they age. Marcus Morris and Carmelo Anthony are 31 and 36 respectively.

When Michael Porter Jr. fills out his body, a lot of teams will have trouble dealing with him but he is not there yet.

Grant is lighter than I thought, but the Nuggets still have the much bigger Porter and Millsap (or a Millsap replacement) to contend with. Denver plays a traditional line-up most of the time, as do all of the other contenders in the West, other than Houston, where that is clearly about to change, given the firing of D'Antoni. Also, in addition to Morris having a decided weight advantage, the Clippers also have Harrell. Plus Kawhi Leonard weighs 225 pounds.

And I don't think you realize how relatively slow and unathletic Bridges and Cam are. They basically have power forward speed and small forward size. Not a match-up advantage.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Grant is lighter than I thought, but the Nuggets still have the much bigger Porter and Millsap (or a Millsap replacement) to contend with. Denver plays a traditional line-up most of the time, as do all of the other contenders in the West, other than Houston, where that is clearly about to change, given the firing of D'Antoni. Also, in addition to Morris having a decided weight advantage, the Clippers also have Harrell. Plus Kawhi Leonard weighs 225 pounds.

And I don't think you realize how relatively slow and unathletic Bridges and Cam are. They basically have power forward speed and small forward size. Not a match-up advantage.

I'm not going to engage in a battle about weight. Besides, I appreciate size and athleticism in a 4/5.

Only saying if the Suns go smaller at forward, they need to have some 4/5s off the bench that can bang especially when Ayton sits. I'd like to have a Myles Turner or Montrezl Harrell to rotate.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'm not going to engage in a battle about weight. Besides, I appreciate size and athleticism in a 4/5.

Only saying if the Suns go smaller at forward, they need to have some 4/5s off the bench that can bang especially when Ayton sits. I'd like to have a Myles Turner or Montrezl Harrell to rotate.

It's like to have a Myles Turner or Montrezl Harrell to START.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's like to have a Myles Turner or Montrezl Harrell to START.

Myles Turner would make the better starter of the two because of his outside shooting and Montrezl Harrell just won the 6th man award.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Myles Turner would make the better starter of the two because of his outside shooting and Montrezl Harrell just won the 6th man award.

I agree on Turner, but Harrell would still be a better starting power forward than anyone we currently have on the roster.

One thing is sure: Our roster can't be so light and soft if it hopes to take the necessary next step next season.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson