Devin Booker's development has been interrupted

Discussion in 'Phoenix Suns' started by BC867, Dec 4, 2019.

1. Hoop Head

Hoop Head ASFN Contributor Contributor

So he won't be in the GOAT conversion like MJ and Kobe are or an MVP like Harden? If you were expecting him to reach MJ or Kobe levels then no wonder you're disappointed in him. Booker is good, really good some nights, but he's not going to end up in the greatest of all time conversation. He may end up as one of the best Suns of all time but that is quite different than becoming the #1 or #2 shooting guard of all time, like Kobe and MJ.

2. CardsSunsDbacks

CardsSunsDbacks Not So Skeptical Contributor

I still believe he will surpass Kobe as an offensive player, but he will never be up their overall as Kobe was a much better defender.

3. cheesebeef

cheesebeef Registered User Contributor

I jusrt don't see how there's any way he surpasses Kobe as an offensive player. Kobe was just as good a passer if not better throughout his career, could explode past anyone guarding him, attack the rim at will and then developed a killer post-up game. Booker will never be able to attack the rim like Kobe did and we've seen absolutely no hint whatsoever he's got any post up game, nor has he shown even close to the same handles.

Kobe was one of the best offensive players of all time. You really think when all's said and done Booker's got a shot to be one of the best offensive players ever? Man, I just don't see that at all.

GatorAZ and Mainstreet like this.
  4. AzStevenCal

AzStevenCal ASFN Contributor Contributor

Kobe could get his shot off against anyone and any defense, Booker isn't likely to ever match him at that. And it was much harder to force the ball out of Kobe's hands than it is with Devin. But OTOH Kobe would force a lot of shots that he really shouldn't have - if Booker plays it smarter than Bryant did I agree he could become a greater all around offensive weapon. For that to happen though Devin would also have to return to his old self (if not improve) when it comes to drawing fouls. Kobe drew almost 9 free throws per game during his best years and having a player that forces the refs to make calls is a big difference maker especially in crunch time.

5. CardsSunsDbacks

CardsSunsDbacks Not So Skeptical Contributor

Well I didn't say "scorer" I said offensive player and I stand by it. Booker is without question a better shooter and a better facilitator than Kobe. We still also haven't seen the best Booker has to offer as a scorer either. I suspect his best seasons will be something like 30 points and 7 assists on really good shooting numbers.

6. AzStevenCal

Well, I wasn't really disagreeing with you.

Booker has been great at times at drawing fouls and we need that to be a staple of his game going forward. It's amazing how much you can improve your overall team on offense and defense just by having a player that commands serious referee attention. And I agree that Booker will probably have a handful of seasons where he averages 30 points per game and at a higher efficiency than Bryant.

Ouchie-Z-Clown likes this.
  7. Mainstreet

Mainstreet Registered User Contributor

The stats are not far off. Perhaps there is a chance.

https://www.basketball-reference.co...=Kobe+Bryant&player_id2=bryanko01&idx=players

8. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown I'm better than Mulli!

It it wasn’t like it was an epic battle where Jrue won some and book won some. From the the 3:30 mark through the end of OT the only points book had were free throws following a rebound when the pels were forced to foul. In other words, Jrue literally shut him down. Not back and forth. Not slowed him down. Shut him down.

Now I know someone’s going to post “I can’t believe you think booker was the problem” or “I can’t believe you think he sucks,” or “I guess 44 points isn’t good enough for you.” NO, I AM NOT SAYING ANY OF THAT. All I’m voicing is concern that our best player, at the most crucial point of the game, can be essentially eliminated. That’s a legit concern.

1Sun and BC867 like this.
  9. Ouchie-Z-Clown

I know who Jrue is. And I know his defensive ability. And while he might slow those guys down I don’t think he’s every blanked them for essentially 8 minutes to end a game. BLANKED them. That’s what he did to book.

10. Ouchie-Z-Clown

I agree with everything but the all star thing. I think we are .500 or better and fighting for a playoff spot and he’s getting 24 5 and 4 he’s going to his first all star game.

11. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Again, from the 3:30 point of the 4th through the end of OT. When the pels fought back to force OT and the crucial OT he had exactly 2 points on free throws on intentional foul to stop clock. He was impressive the whole game. But at finishing time he was shut down. It’s just a fact. And it’s disturbing. Luckily not every team has a Jrue holiday. But he’s likely to see other similar defenders thrown at him at games end and I hope we see a more resourceful “star” who can finish teams.

12. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Whaaaaaa????o_O:confused::rolleyes:

82CardsGrad likes this.
  13. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Man 30pts/game is an enormous accomplishment these days. I’m surprised to hear y’all so confident in that given books relative physical ceiling.

14. BC867

BC867 Long time Phoenician! Contributor

When Ayton returns and, perhaps, Diallo builds his scoring at Power Forward as he has been doing at Center,
    we'll see where Devin levels off when he faces less double-teaming. Especially if Rubio can find a way to get
    some more points in the backcourt.

It will come down to skillset. And every player reaches the limit of his level sooner or later.

But it doesn't help when the evaluation is that he is still trying to involve other players.

In other words, he wants the ball in his hands most of the time. That invites double teams.

15. AzStevenCal

I don't see it as much of a stretch though considering that he's averaged a little over 25 points since the 17-18 season. But I wouldn't go so far as too say I'm confident. I think/hope he will but I don't know that I would take an even money bet on it.