Devin Booker's development has been interrupted

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If that's the case, then BC is right. Booker needs to not be running the offense.

BC might be right, I don't really know. But every lead guard needs a real threat opposite to them that can also carry part of the load. When Booker is forced to run the offense, he does so without any help at the off guard spot. And as I pointed out earlier, turnovers per game leaders list aligns nicely with the greatest players in the league, with very few exceptions. IOW, the more you do with the ball the more likely you are to turn it over.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some shooting stats on Devin Booker.

Sam Cooper‏ @scooperhoops

True shooting percentage for some NBA players in their 5th seasons:

Steph Curry (1st all-star season): 61.0%
James Harden (2nd all-star season): 61.8%
Kevin Durant (3rd all-star season): 61.0%

Devin Booker (1st all-star season?): 63.7%

Holy poo

1:00 PM - 10 Dec 2019

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns also have the highest average assists per game for their backcourt duo, Rubio and Booker are ahead of even Westbrook and Harden. I expect that there will be some distance there once Ayton returns because that provides both of them an ideal target to hit for easy assists. Most of their assists now are drive and kick situations so it's impressive that they're both averaging as many as they are.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And in what way is his defense "regressing again"? And, "regressing again", makes me want to ask you when his defense regressed prior to this but I'm afraid you'll pull out a video of him in 3rd grade. Anyway, to me he looks like one of the better Suns defenders out there most nights, not great but above average usually. On a team minus a defensive anchor, I don't know how you could expect much more than that from your scoring guard.

I have a feeling I know who you're talking to and honestly it would surprise me if they've ever backed up a claim with evidence, I know I haven't seen it. However it's not easy to prove far fetched doomsday scenarios.

If someone does have a video of Booker playing ball in 3rd grade though I'll check it out. I think it would be cool to see but that would also give away that Devin's dad Melvin is a poster here.

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
So far I have yet to miss a Devin Booker NBA game. I remember him making big plays defensively and making equally big mistakes on defense. I don't think his defense was ever as bad as his reputation suggests but I don't ever remember a point where it appeared he'd solved his mistakes and was now playing good defense. Even when we had that brief stretch with Oubre and Tyler last year, Booker's D was still the weak link. This year, that has not been the case.

Devin will never be a threat to win DPOY but he's not the defensive liability he has been in the past. And in the occasional games where he's being forced to run the offense it's understandable if his defense takes a hit. That's not regressing.
I'm one of those rare old schoolers who loves watching great D. I get just as much a rise out of a great Defensive play than an Offensive play. So I do tend to focus more on Defensive ability when I watch players. (Ie, I will forever argue that Klay was the 2nd best player on the floor with Durant night in and night out.)

I've been watching Book also for these past few years. What I've seen is easily one of the worst Defenders in the league. I don't mean just SG, where he was the worst, I mean just overall one of the worst defenders in the NBA. I don't base that off of reputation, but rather what I observed. He was slow footed, slow to rotate, showed poor footwork, reaching instead of moving his feet, poor communication. and displayed OLAY D. He would have bursts of energy on D when it mattered (which was hardly ever because we sucked) only to see him give up 10-15 seconds into the possession.

What I see this year.... Um... I'm totally stunned. He's exhibits far better body position, plays through the possession, communicates with passion, rotates with great energy, keeps his feet moving, and maintains decent discipline with his hands. I'm really impressed that he holds his defensive body position throughout as I've NEVER seen him do that before. Defensive is ALWAYS played with heart, something he rarely showed in the past on D. Now, ALL I see from him is heart. He is hitting a whole other level. It reminds me a ton of what Steph Curry did in GS. He isn't the most talented defender on the court but he goes all out for his team.

One of Monty's many outstanding accomplishments this year is getting this kind of effort on D from Book... and Kelly... and Frank... and Dario... and Jerome... and Ellie... and HOPEFULLY Ayton.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'm one of those rare old schoolers who loves watching great D. I get just as much a rise out of a great Defensive play than an Offensive play. So I do tend to focus more on Defensive ability when I watch players. (Ie, I will forever argue that Klay was the 2nd best player on the floor with Durant night in and night out.)

I've been watching Book also for these past few years. What I've seen is easily one of the worst Defenders in the league. I don't mean just SG, where he was the worst, I mean just overall one of the worst defenders in the NBA. I don't base that off of reputation, but rather what I observed. He was slow footed, slow to rotate, showed poor footwork, reaching instead of moving his feet, poor communication. and displayed OLAY D. He would have bursts of energy on D when it mattered (which was hardly ever because we sucked) only to see him give up 10-15 seconds into the possession.

What I see this year.... Um... I'm totally stunned. He's exhibits far better body position, plays through the possession, communicates with passion, rotates with great energy, keeps his feet moving, and maintains decent discipline with his hands. I'm really impressed that he holds his defensive body position throughout as I've NEVER seen him do that before. Defensive is ALWAYS played with heart, something he rarely showed in the past on D. Now, ALL I see from him is heart. He is hitting a whole other level. It reminds me a ton of what Steph Curry did in GS. He isn't the most talented defender on the court but he goes all out for his team.

One of Monty's many outstanding accomplishments this year is getting this kind of effort on D from Book... and Kelly... and Frank... and Dario... and Jerome... and Ellie... and HOPEFULLY Ayton.

I saw this the first few weeks as well, but not so much the last few weeks.

OP
OP
BC867

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
If that's the case, then BC is right. Booker needs to not be running the offense.
That is my point. That management has taken the lazy way out
every time and piled it upon Devin.

No matter what, the Suns needs to do whatever it takes to find
one skilled backup Point Guard. One whose strong points (pardon
the pun) are similar to Rubio's for continuity for the rest of the
players, whether starters or backups. Team chemistry!

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That is my point. That management has taken the lazy way out
every time and piled it upon Devin.

No matter what, the Suns needs to do whatever it takes to find
one skilled backup Point Guard. One whose strong points (pardon
the pun) are similar to Rubio's for continuity for the rest of the
players, whether starters or backups. Team chemistry!
We just finally got a point guard and now you want two!

Seriously though. The easy way out is to try to deal for one. The more sound way is to develop one. They have Carter, Okobo, and Jerome. Certainly one of those three can be developed into a quality long-term backup pg. I assume that is why Jerome is getting most of the burn right now. They are determining who will be the primary back up in the future. It does take a few games to figure this out.

If you are looking for the player most like Rubio, that would have to be Carter. He looked good early. He did not handle the starting role very well. I think that is because he is all-out energy when on the court and can't do that big minutes.

To me the starting pf question is more of an issue than the back up pg issue.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you are looking for the player most like Rubio, that would have to be Carter. He looked good early. He did not handle the starting role very well. I think that is because he is all-out energy when on the court and can't do that big minutes.

To me the starting pf question is more of an issue than the back up pg issue.

I really couldn't disagree more. Rubio sees the court and knows what to do, Carter simply doesn't. I love his effort and he's a better defender at the point of attack then Rubio plus he doesn't share Ricky's penchant for missing layups. But considering that Rubio's defining strength is his ability to run an offense, I'd say Carter is almost the worst Rubio comparison on the team when it comes to generating offense for teammates. And keep in mind his assist to turnover ratio is virtually the same as Devin's has been.

Last edited:

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I really couldn't disagree more. Rubio sees the court and knows what to do, Carter simply doesn't. I love his effort and he's a better defender at the point of attack then Rubio plus he doesn't share Ricky's penchant for missing layups. But considering that Rubio's defining strength is his ability to run an offense, I'd say Carter is almost the worst Rubio comparison on the team when it comes to generating offense for teammates. And keep in mind his assist to turnover ratio is actually worse than Devin's has been.

Agree... there really isn't a comparable player to Rubio on the team, though, an argument (albeit a weak one) can be made that Booker might be the closest thing we have to Rubio... ironic as that is.
That said, I think Jerome could potentially develop into something close to Ricky...with, HOPEFULLY, a better shot!

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agree... there really isn't a comparable player to Rubio on the team, though, an argument (albeit a weak one) can be made that Booker might be the closest thing we have to Rubio... ironic as that is.
That said, I think Jerome could potentially develop into something close to Ricky...with, HOPEFULLY, a better shot!

He has the smarts, the vision, the passing skills and he plays pretty good defense too (he's especially effective when doubling). But for him to reach Rubio's level, he's going to have to get quicker and let's face it, Ricky is not exactly quick either. And maybe Ty will, I really don't know how much of his slow-footedness has to do with his injury and conditioning.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He has the smarts, the vision, the passing skills and he plays pretty good defense too (he's especially effective when doubling). But for him to reach Rubio's level, he's going to have to get quicker and let's face it, Ricky is not exactly quick either. And maybe Ty will, I really don't know how much of his slow-footedness has to do with his injury and conditioning.

Ty Jerome looked visibly quicker against the Timberwolves. I'm not sure why but it could be his sprained ankle has slowed him down. Maybe he is only now getting back to full speed. If Ty can be a solid backup point guard this would make me plenty happy.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Ty Jerome looked visibly quicker against the Timberwolves. I'm not sure why but it could be his sprained ankle has slowed him down. Maybe he is only now getting back to full speed. If Ty can be a solid backup point guard this would make me plenty happy.
Maybe the guys he was going up against were just slower? Though I do think he will look a little quicker as he gets more and more into shape.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
I really couldn't disagree more. Rubio sees the court and knows what to do, Carter simply doesn't. I love his effort and he's a better defender at the point of attack then Rubio plus he doesn't share Ricky's penchant for missing layups. But considering that Rubio's defining strength is his ability to run an offense, I'd say Carter is almost the worst Rubio comparison on the team when it comes to generating offense for teammates. And keep in mind his assist to turnover ratio is virtually the same as Devin's has been.
The closest would have to be Jerome but he's got a long way to go.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe the guys he was going up against were just slower? Though I do think he will look a little quicker as he gets more and more into shape.

My 2 cents is that Jerome is only now rounding into shape. Hopefully his ankle is no longer an issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA