Devin Booker future extension

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I simply think that waiting until next summer to sign his extension is dangerous, both to Booker and to the Suns. Yes, we could potentially have a ton of cap room, but again, a lot can happen in a year. There's a reason most stars sign their extension as soon as they are eligible for it.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
At this point I want the Booker extension announcement to come out so this thread can end. I know that's unlikely to happen since the details of what he received will be overanalyzed. I just hope there's no second guessing about what should have been done, provided we get 4 years guaranteed. That will keep him here for the next 5 seasons since he has 1 year to play out on his rookie contract.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
At this point I want the Booker extension announcement to come out so this thread can end. I know that's unlikely to happen since the details of what he received will be overanalyzed. I just hope there's no second guessing about what should have been done, provided we get 4 years guaranteed. That will keep him here for the next 5 seasons since he has 1 year to play out on his rookie contract.
Probably not happening until Sunday. That will be the first day that the team doesn't have SL action.

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Someone allready said this but wait tell Book's next Max deal. No one knows what the NBA rules will be in five years but if its the same Booker will not get the Super Max.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Look all the positives you guys argue for are 100% legit. But as you just pointed out Poker may be only looking at the negatives but everyone arguing against him is only looking at the positives. Playing either end of the spectrum is dumb in virtually every scenario. You have to adopt a balanced vantage point if you want to pursue the most prudent course of action.

So far here’s what I see:

Poker: have to get something to give early extension.

Everyone else: have to give booker everything he wants.

There’s a middle ground. And it may be closer to one end of the spectrum than the other, but there is middle ground. And mind you, it might not be amount. There are a myriad of elements that go into a contract that might be negotiating points. At the end of the day we have very little true insight into all this.

So what's your middle ground?

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Probably not happening until Sunday. That will be the first day that the team doesn't have SL action.
Monday, I think.

If they do the deal now, I am good. If they wait until next summer, I am fine with that as long as Booker is. If they give him a 5th year PO, I will be bothered by that.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
So what's your middle ground?
To be honest I’m just smart enough to know that I don’t know enough about basketball contracts and values to say, I don’t know. But what I do know from years of contract and employment negotiation is that it’s almost never black and white and it’s almost never a “beneficial” deal if there’s a winner or loser in an ongoing relationship.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
To be honest I’m just smart enough to know that I don’t know enough about basketball contracts and values to say, I don’t know. But what I do know from years of contract and employment negotiation is that it’s almost never black and white and it’s almost never a “beneficial” deal if there’s a winner or loser in an ongoing relationship.
Agreed. I think, and I'm pretty sure the larger perception is, that extending Booker is a win.

This talk of trying to get Booker to take less or, more absurd, get a team option is where it feels like we're trying to force a "loser" in the negotiations. Us trying to talk Booker into signing for anything less than the full max will be taken as us being cheap.

Booker will look like a loser, we won't be viewed as suave but as misers. So, if you think that trying to force a winner and loser in this is a bad thing, then that logic should put you on the extension wagon.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Agreed. I think, and I'm pretty sure the larger perception is, that extending Booker is a win.

This talk of trying to get Booker to take less or, more absurd, get a team option is where it feels like we're trying to force a "loser" in the negotiations. Us trying to talk Booker into signing for anything less than the full max will be taken as us being cheap we're being cheap.

Booker will look like a loser, we won't be viewed as suave but as misers. So, if you think that trying to force a winner and loser in this is a bad thing, then that logic should put you on the extension wagon.
This is how I see it. Simply getting Booker to sign without any crazy stipulations that go in Bookers favor (such as multiple player option years) makes the Suns a winner and giving up something like a 5th year option or maybe some realistic all NBA incentives would also make Booker feel like a winner as well.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is how I see it. Simply getting Booker to sign without any crazy stipulations that go in Bookers favor (such as multiple player option years) makes the Suns a winner and giving up something like a 5th year option or maybe some realistic all NBA incentives would also make Booker feel like a winner as well.

I don't think they can include incentives for All-NBA or anything like that at this point since he's a max player. He'd be getting the most we can pay so a bonus would exceed that amount. That could be a reason for an option though. If he thinks he can make a few All-Star teams or win some awards then he may want to opt out just to sign for the larger max that would be available at that point. It would be beneficial for him but not so much for the Suns. We'd need to pay him more but we would have a player who is making All-Star teams and that's a benefit alone. It's a tough sell though, on his end, but I could see him and his agent pushing for that. Anything before year 4 though shouldn't happen.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I don't think they can include incentives for All-NBA or anything like that at this point since he's a max player. He'd be getting the most we can pay so a bonus would exceed that amount. That could be a reason for an option though. If he thinks he can make a few All-Star teams or win some awards then he may want to opt out just to sign for the larger max that would be available at that point. It would be beneficial for him but not so much for the Suns. We'd need to pay him more but we would have a player who is making All-Star teams and that's a benefit alone. It's a tough sell though, on his end, but I could see him and his agent pushing for that. Anything before year 4 though shouldn't happen.
It could be incorrect, but I believe you can put incentives into an early extension to where a player can get a higher percentage of the cap if the make all NBA the season before the contract kicks in (like 27.5% of the cap instead of 25%).

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

This talk of trying to get Booker to take less or, more absurd, get a team option is where it feels like we're trying to force a "loser" in the negotiations. Us trying to talk Booker into signing for anything less than the full max will be taken as us being cheap.

Why would you phrase it “put you on the extension bandwagon?” Who isn’t on that bandwagon??? No one.

And if they sign booker for less and booker is stoked to make $140M and says so in all interviews no one will say anything other than “wow! The suns got a great deal!”

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Why would you phrase it “put you on the extension bandwagon?” Who isn’t on that bandwagon??? No one.

And if they sign booker for less and booker is stoked to make $140M and says so in all interviews no one will say anything other than “wow! The suns got a great deal!”
Fine, if that's what happens, great, but IMO the far more likely scenario is that talks drag out and he feels lowballed.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm pretty sure nothing has been signed yet. It was my understanding that they were going to continue talks tomorrow and thus that will be the earliest that we have an announcement.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think the Suns could offer Booker $160 million so that is the error I suppose.

I previouslty read something like $158 million is the max.

Maybe Calipari is rounding off numbers.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's now official, Bordow RT'd this and confirmed.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Bordow says 5 years $158 million. I'd think details won't be available until tomorrow

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn