Detroit Lions are hilarious

Discussion in 'Arizona Cardinals' started by Syracusecards, Jan 25, 2021.

1. TaylorSwift

TaylorSwift Registered

You would surprised, the NFL just fines everyone for everything and the rules make it so linebackers and defensive backs cant do their thing in the passing game

2. legend

legend Registered

It's hard to blend in when you're born to stand out . . :whip:

b8rtm8nn and BigRedRage like this.
  3. Syracusecards

Syracusecards DA's pass went that way

lol

4. Syracusecards

I’m guessing he lost some players respect when he dropped his pants to prove a point. Behavior also factors in. That’s why Todd Haley can’t keep a job.

5. Buckybird

Buckybird Hoist the Lombardi Trophy

And a post about that coming from a person who has done just that in SBF. lol. 2 sets of rules :bang:

6. long_season

long_season Registered

I believed the same thing about carol... he has done much better than I expected..maybe cause it was his second go. One of those things where it has to be successful quickly...I guess. Can say I am getting tired of the head coach churn... see if Kingsbury can learn...I mean who thought Tomlin was going to be there for 14 years....? Look at belicheck... got submarined a bit by players outing out but... will be interesting to see if he recovers next year.

7. Syracusecards

Pete Carol is energetic but positive. The drill sergeant/take no prisoners approach wears thin quicker. I have to say though, if Russell Wilson wasn’t Seattle’s quarterback, I don’t know how long Carol would’ve lasted. Wilson is his mouthpiece.

daves likes this.
  8. oaken1

oaken1 Stone Cold

Your kidding yourself. Every player on an nfl defense wants to take someone’s head off... they don’t want to end a career but to ring a guys bell so hard he has to sit out a couple plays is still a source of pride for these guys.

9. MigratingOsprey

MigratingOsprey Thank You Paul!

Carroll is very energetic, very enthusiastic, he's frequently "fired up" about one thing or another, but he also is hyper competitive and has a very clear vision

I was skeptical of the hire, but his early press conferences provided some calm and he wasn't talking about biting knee caps

He was clearly laying out his vision

One of those is that you have to have a QB - they cycled a few and let them compete for it, Hass transitioning to a group that included Jackson, Whitehurst, Flynn and Wilson

Carroll let them all compete until he found his guy - even in that he was criticized at first for saying Wilson would be in the competition from the first rookie camp to keeping the competition at 3 through the early preseason with equal practice reps when it was clear Jackson wouldn't be winning it

In the early part he was linked to every USC guy that became available - the big talk of that 2010 draft was Seattle grabbing Taylor Mays, Earl Thomas wasn't on the radar

Other USC guys who didn't complete got cut

Guys like TJ Houshmandzadeh who tried to big time a little bit got cut, guys like Mike Williams who couldn't stay focused to work got cut. They traded for LenDale White at the desert and cut him before OTAs finished.

It is a pretty cutthroat environment. People confuse giving players latitude to be expressive, communicative, music playing, etc means it's a non-structured players run the show environment - it's not.

It's Pete's show and expectations and demands are high

These are some of his quotes from his first press conference - for better or worse this is still a big part of the philosophy today

Over the years it's honed more - it's all about the ball, can only win in the 4th quarter, always compete, have to execute and control the ball, have to run effectively, have to play with toughness and versatility, have to take the top off a defense

He's hardwired into his philosophy to the point where it's almost stubborn when it isn't working or playing to the current strengths and circumstances

He doesn't rah rah or just cheerlead - he'll fluff players and position groups for sure, but it's too help keep the energy high so they can get back to working towards goals

Not the perfect coach, but I was happy to be wrong about him and the culture and thoughts of the organization have been reshaped

Can Campbell do that in Detroit? Who knows. I'd love to see a competitive Lions team over a competitive GB team.

I think it's fine to want to change how people think about your city and your organization - I think it's fine to talk about toughness...... But tough alone is not a philosophy of a plan and you'll have a lot of tough

Tough also needs to be how you approach the hard stuff within the organization, deal with the misfires, make the hard decisions and the work to find the little competitive edges

We'll see how the work compares to the talk

jf-08 and daves like this.
  10. Syracusecards

wow, you know your Seahawks! Great insight and I appreciate the quotes. He at least has substance in what he’s saying.

11. Syracusecards

I wish I could agree with you. 20 to 30 years ago I would 100% agree with you. One of the reasons I became a Cardinals fan was when I read a Sports Illustrated story about Chuck Cecil hitting someone so hard he couldn’t feel his mouth.

these days, you don’t see a lot of gang tackling and guys seem much more likely to ease up instead of try to hurt someone.

The rules in place pretty much contradict what Campbell wants to do. if his team plays the way he wants them to they are going to be the most penalized team in the NFL.

daves likes this.
  12. MigratingOsprey

MigratingOsprey Thank You Paul!

I've been a Seahawks fan since 85 or 86, it's pretty much all I know :cheers:

13. Syracusecards

Yup. Super bowl here they come. Will be fun to watch this play out though 34961661-802D-41E4-98F8-2037DAA0DA8D.png