Denny Green on KTAR

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
The better that we get, the more that I appreciate Denny Green. He got some decent players in here.

I'm just really glad that Whizenhunt is the one coaching them.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is like a vicarious Super Bowl appearance for him. He had a pretty big role (no pun intended) in bringing in a lot of this team's talent.

As I said before...he can pick 'em, but he can't coach 'em.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Wish they could have kept Denny on as a talent evaluator or a GM of some sort. He is a magnificent scout, but just a mediocre coach.

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
We were locked in a dungeon for so long. Then Denny Green came along and built the steps to help get the Cards out of the basement of despair. And it is the Whis who is finally leading us up those stairs and into the light of glory.

jefftheshark

Drive By Poster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is like a vicarious Super Bowl appearance for him. He had a pretty big role (no pun intended) in bringing in a lot of this team's talent.

He's like the Anti-Gruden, who can coach 'em, but can't pick 'em.

JTS

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would not be opposed to Denny Green, head of scouting and the draft. Not at all.

But then, what would Rod do?

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So Denny Green had all the final say on our draft picks? Nobody else had any imput?
Did Steve Keim just start yesterday?

I'm sure Denny played a big role in convincing the team to take Fitzgerald. Huge props for that, but how much credit should he get?

Cardsmasochist

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

I would rather have Denny Green as a GM than Rod Graves. Or VP of whatever his title is.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So Denny Green had all the final say on our draft picks? Nobody else had any imput?
Did Steve Keim just start yesterday?

I'm sure Denny played a big role in convincing the team to take Fitzgerald. Huge props for that, but how much credit should he get?

When Green was around, we consistently drafted talented players who had slipped a bit. That was the only time, before or since, that we really had that approach as an organization. Before, we drafted for need often taking players higher than they were rated. I think it can be argued we immediately returned to that philosophy with Levi Brown. DRC was certainly a need, but he wasn't a reach. We got him right in mid-range of where people had him going.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Denny also was the guy who gets credit for Warner coming here...aside from the drafts you can't ignore that.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Denny had three drafts--

a A+++ for his 2004 draft of Fitz, Dansby, Dockett, Smith

a C- for his 2005 draft of Rolle, Arrington......Green.....Elton Brown....

a B for his 2006 draft of Leinart, Latui, Pope, Watson

Denny was hardly infallible

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I don't think any of us thought much about the Antonio Smith pick, at the time it was the biggest head scratcher in that draft. Looking back and what he is doing now...he was an absolute steal.

Rats

Somanyfreaks,SofewCircus'
Reaction score
A lot of people have a hard time giving Dennis Green credit. He took a Triple A talent wise team and turned it into a playoff roster in a couple of seasons. He had cap constraints and had to build thru the draft and did a damn fine job. He failed at getting good enough coaching assistants around him to make a difference although Clancy has turned out ok. He had a bit of disorganization on gameday that they seemed to be unable to work thru. Whis has had some of that in his 2 years here also but has found away to get the team to practice like they play and it shows. I still think all Rod Graves has done is help manage the cap( which is a big contribution) but he is not a stellar talent evaluator. In fact I would not allow him to make a choice on draft day. That is what the coaches are for. I still maintain we would have had a playoff run last season had Denny been allowed to finish his contract but we will never know. What we do know and has been shown is that we have the right guy for the job now. I would still prefer Graves moved on as I do not think he is anything special. He will probably be there for life now though:)

Last edited:

BigRedArk

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
When Green was around, we consistently drafted talented players who had slipped a bit. That was the only time, before or since, that we really had that approach as an organization. Before, we drafted for need often taking players higher than they were rated. I think it can be argued we immediately returned to that philosophy with Levi Brown. DRC was certainly a need, but he wasn't a reach. We got him right in mid-range of where people had him going.

Well stated aj. He was shrewd at getting high value for many picks though not all. No one gets 'em all right. 2005 was his weakest draft.