Deciding who the best player ever is

Discussion in 'Phoenix Suns' started by CSDFan, Jun 10, 2021 at 7:57 AM.

1. AzStevenCal

AzStevenCal ASFN Contributor Contributor

Best player? Sorry but that's Wilt and it's not close. Best career?That could bring a legitimate argument. I'd go with Jordan followed by Lebron and Kareem with the next tier of Bird, Russell, Oscar and Tim Duncan.

2. Hoop Head

Hoop Head Registered

Wilt wasn't much of a shooter, see his FT% for evidence of that. He has a huge advantage because of his height and towering over his competition. He was great, but for all his gifts how many times did he lead his team to titles? Sure, you can say Russell had better teammates back then but I think to call someone the GOAT they have to be dominant when the lights are brightest and with the most on the line, and that's in the finals.

3. BigRedRage

BigRedRage Reckless Contributor

If wilt was in the Jordan era, I do not believe you would think this. While Wilt is legend, he also was simply FAR more athletic than most of the league. He was a relic of the future and where the NBA was going to go IMO.

Then again, I'm 38 so I dont know what I'm talking about. I'll still take Jordan.

4. CardsSunsDbacks

CardsSunsDbacks Not So Skeptical

I just have a hard time taking Wilt’s numbers seriously. He put up his biggest numbers early in his career when the talent wasn’t all that deep. In the early 60s the style of play was also non stop running and it was normal for your best players to play the entire game. His numbers are inflated due to these things.

5. AzStevenCal

He was bigger, he was stronger, he was more athletic and he was simply the most dominant player this game has ever seen. And I've never heard any player that played against him that didn't call him the greatest player ever. His greatest weakness is that he was so much better than his peers that he seldom worked on his game. They still tell stories about him destroying all the LA players from UCLA and the Lakers many years after he retired (Magic, Kareem etc.).

6. AzStevenCal

Everything you're saying here would be true of all the other players that played at that time. So do you discount Elgin, Jerry, Oscar, Russell and all the other greats? Anyway, I've never seen a player in any era that so physically outclassed every one else on the court. The closest would have been Shaq before he landed in LA and he was a pale, pale, pale shadow of the physical specimen that was Wilt.

Despite what the numbers show, Wilt didn't lose a thing in his career. He was so far above every one else that he didn't just go into cruise mode at times like some do, he virtually ignored the game. Didn't practice, got most of his exercise in the bedroom and enjoyed life away from the court.

7. AzStevenCal

Robert Horry has 7 rings but Shaq and Lebron only have 4. Dickey Simpkins has 3. Sasha Whatshisname has a couple. Luc Longley has 3. John Salley has 4. Steve Kerr, Ron Harper, Derek Fisher, Kurt Rambis, Will Perdue all have 4 or 5. Sam Jones has 10 championships. Heinsohn, Havlicek, KC Jones and Satch Sanders have 7 each. Elgin Baylor, Charles Barkley, Chris Paul, Steve Nash, John Stockton, Karl Malone, James Harden, Bob Lanier, Dave Bing, Nate Thurmond, George Gervin, Alex English, Pete Maravich and a lot of other greats never won an NBA championship.

8. itlnsunsfan

itlnsunsfan Registered

Cringey look imo. Strange. When I watch clips of Ali proclaiming himself the greatest, I'm impressed with his unwavering confidence in himself. Lebron just appears narcissistic and out of touch to me here.

Hoop Head and Ouchie-Z-Clown like this.
  9. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown I'm better than Mulli!

If you look at his stats I’m prettt sure wilt did dominate the finals. His team couldn’t keep up.

AzStevenCal likes this.
  10. JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan Registered User

OH man. I so much agree with this. MJ was great, and was so marketable. I do believe if young Wilt were drafted today, he would still dominate the league.

Odd fact. In a HS game Wilt scored 98 points in 28 minutes, including 15 points in 1 minute.

AzStevenCal likes this.
  11. GatorAZ

GatorAZ feed hopkins

Wilt played against roofers and plumbers so it’s hard to say.

12. JCSunsfan

Watch this and then talk about roofers and plumbers.

Things many people do not know about Wilt.

Ran a 4.6 40 yard dash (some say as low as 4.4)
    State shot put champion in high school.
    Ran the 100 competitively at 10.9 seconds.
    Bench pressed 500 pounds.
    45 inch vertical jump
    Ran the 440 in 49 seconds.
    Won the Big 8 high jump championship 3 straight years.
    Played 48.5 minutes per game in the 1961-62 season.
    Averaged 45.9 minutes a game for his career (durability?)
    Averaged 30 points and 23 rebounds FOR HIS CAREER.
    Averaged 50 points and 26 rebounds in 1960-61.
    Averaged 8.6 assists per game in 1968-9
    Had a 55 rebound game.
    Had a 41 rebound game in the playoffs.
    Had a 78 point and 43 rebound game against the Lakers.

Might be flat out the best athlete ever in recorded history.

13. Proximo

Proximo Registered

It's definetley not wilt. Most people of the era say Russel was better than Wilt.

Regardless, in their era competition was sorry in comparison to Jordan or Lebron's era.

Heck even Ayton could of averaged 50 and 20 back then I would bet.

14. AzStevenCal

I just don't think that's true. In the 60's I don't recall anybody, even the old timers (at the time), that put anyone above Wilt. There were some angry old white men that would say it ended and began with George Mikan or Jerry West but you had to be a diehard Celtics fan to even consider putting Bill Russell in the conversation. It was Wilt unless you were an Elgin or Oscar fan.

Later on, in the ESPN era, the media started making it all about rings which makes little sense in a true team sport but that was part of ESPN's marketing. Russell had the rings but he played with a bunch of guys that are also in the HOF with him.

Granted, many of those so called all time greats would have never come close to the Hall if they hadn't played with Russell but I think the same could be said about who they played for. Red owned basketball at that time, they invested and committed to scouting, preparation and analysis in a way that no other BB team did back then. Wilt outplayed everyone, his teams didn't always keep pace. Bill was a big part of that difference but so was Auerbach.

15. JCSunsfan

Not true. Most people of the era said it was Wilt. Russell just had better teams.