Dear Darksiders

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And I would point towards Patrick's fumble on that 3rd and short at the end of the game, where there were more Saints around that ball than Cards, and the only reason we got it was a Saints player trying to keep it in bounds on a blind scoop which dropped right by Fitz.

If Beanie's fumble had bounced differently, there were more Saints going towards that ball than Cards.

Luck.

Regardless, I'm enjoying the win.

Didn't the Saints recover a couple of their own? At least one I thought we had. Haggans hit on Brees? Goes both ways.

IAWarnerFan

Warnerphile, but a Cards fan!
Reaction score
Saints aren't that great without Bush let alone being without Thomas and Bush. I picked the Saints to win, but this win isn't all that surprising.

LVG

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Didn't the Saints recover a couple of their own? At least one I thought we had. Haggans hit on Brees? Goes both ways.

Yep. Once the ball is on the ground, so many different things come into play, I don't know how to describe it other than luck.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We've played 3 of 5 on the road. 2 very tough road games (Atl & SD), a tough home game vs the Defending Champs. We have a rookie undrafted QB, most of our WR's are injured, those that are not are rookies. Our D has been pathetic, except of course, today. Our OL has been reshuffled & still has a long way to go. BUT, bottomline, we're alone at the top of our division & we have a much needed bye next week. This team is obviously a work in progress, but one that will keep improving. Can we make the playoffs? With our division, absolutely! Can we go deep into the playoffs? Absolutely NOT. If we win our division @ 9-7, then Whiz will be Coach of the Year.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
You say Luck I say great hustle by the guys during the fumble drills. Not losing a single fumble out of 4 is more then just luck, its hustle and determination. Its Lyle running down field when his QB starts to scramble its Levi running along side his QB when he scrambles for the end zone.

LOL a bit of an exaggeration there. Levi wasn't blocking anybody and then when he saw the D start to move to the left started running that way and he wasn't even close to being alongside his QB. I doubt he ever saw Hall until Max cut inside of him. Levi was almost standing still when the ball bounced up to him.

Still a heads up play by Brown but far more chance than preparation.

Last edited:

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
:|

Even the Darksiders are happy about the win, but we just scored 30 without an offensive TD. Can't exactly take that to the bank.

I had not thought about it that way. We did move the ball on offense through the air however. In the end all that really matters is did you win? We won. I hope Hall is not in the hospital tonight. He took more beats than a Timex Watch today. Even Duce stepped on his foot. With that slender body he is going to need to learn you cannot go head first into a bunch of DL at the goal line. That is a losing proposition. He does have escapability which we have not had a QB with that in some time. He has passed his first test and showed some positives and some negatives which means he is the starter. His players all seemed to respect the pounding he took and came back for more. We have some hope with Max but today the ball literally bounced our way and we made the best of it. We never give our punter and kicker enough respect. These guys answer the bell when it rings. We need some work on our running game and I am not sure what the problem is. The OL is giving the QB time to throw but is it there fault we are gaining no yardage on the ground or the runners? The Bears won another one only this time with their running game. Their backup QB looked like the worst in the league. Strange some of the teams that are supposed to be at the top are near the bottom. Cowboys, N.O., San Francisco and here we are in first place once again. Amazing. Fitz looked like the Fitz of old. Even our young receivers looked good but it will be nice to have some our first team receivers all back.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
This team is a complete enigma.

They can bring it when they want to but boy can they pop a dud when they don't.

Max looked promising today, baby steps but overall I thought he showed a lot of promise.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

Max looked promising today, baby steps but overall I thought he showed a lot of promise.

It's turnovers with the Defense. They can force turnovers in bunches and when they do the Cards chances of winning go way up. But they don't do it enough and with an offense that can't run, 1.7 ypc, or score it doesn't bode well for the future.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's turnovers with the Defense. They can force turnovers in bunches and when they do the Cards chances of winning go way up. But they don't do it enough and with an offense that can't run, 1.7 ypc, or score it doesn't bode well for the future.

Yet they still beat Drew Brees. Beating Brees tells me they have a shot against Alex Smith, Hasselbeck, etc.

:koolaid:

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
Yet they still beat Drew Brees. Beating Brees tells me they have a shot against Alex Smith, Hasselbeck, etc.

We are blessed with a truly weak NFC West, which is fine, I remember being in the NFC East and getting crushed a lot.

It all evens out.

The thing I looked for was almost all Max Hall, was pleased, seems to be a fast learner and have the right mentality, now it's just a question of watching him progress hopefully.

The Saints are in a complete funk and it was in our house, but we double funked them so that was good :)

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

Which is exactly what I told Carddan in his thread about hope. As long as the Cards D can force turnovers they can beat anybody. And they have shown they can force the turnovers.

Otherwise its usually a long afternoon on that side of the ball.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Which is exactly what I told Carddan in his thread about hope. As long as the Cards D can force turnovers they can beat anybody. And they have shown they can force the turnovers.

You were dead right about how to stay in this game (defensive turnovers). We also got good bounces when we dropped the ball. Don't worry about the run Duck.:) You know that will pick up in the next game.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score

One reason I have so much faith in Whis is that he seems to have some good instincts, along with bad ones but mostly good.

It dosen't absolve everything he does and he's not perfect but he has his own way of doing things that seems to be relatively powerful.

What's so head scratching about it is how utterly lost they can look in one game and then how ridiculously good they look the next game.

However if you look across the NFL that's going on a ton this year, Detroit TORE UP Stl, my picks for the week are a smoking ruin.

The NFL is going through a very big parity phase for some reason, games get blown out in the weirdest ways, I wonder if it's some rule changes or something else doing it?

There's only a small handful of teams you can really count on for consistent performances, it's odd to be this topsy turvy.

Reaction score
Don't worry about the run Duck.:) You know that will pick up in the next game.
I don't know about that - Seattle is 2nd in the league in rushing yards per game defense, and 2.7 yards per carry.

The good news is that Breaston and Doucet will be playing...
And Seattle's pass defense is not so good! :)

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I don't know about that - Seattle is 2nd in the league in rushing yards per game defense, and 2.7 yards per carry.

The good news is that Breaston and Doucet will be playing...
And Seattle's pass defense is not so good! :)

I'm hoping the seahawks focus on trying to stop fitz and the other recievers coming back. The backs should respond this week. Its been crazy in the NFL, so we might have our best rushing game of the season. I have been drinking. ;)

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score

Hmm... gonna disagree with this.

We ran pretty well against the rams and raiders IIRC, but NO's defense is good, probably very good.

Give hall a chance to work with the first team and to get more PT under his belt. Give our WR core a chance to get healthily and for our wretched oline to build a little continuity.

We'll have better offensive days than this duck. To the point where we won't need a heroic performance from the D to pull out win.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
One reason I have so much faith in Whis is that he seems to have some good instincts, along with bad ones but mostly good.

It dosen't absolve everything he does and he's not perfect but he has his own way of doing things that seems to be relatively powerful.

What's so head scratching about it is how utterly lost they can look in one game and then how ridiculously good they look the next game.

However if you look across the NFL that's going on a ton this year, Detroit TORE UP Stl, my picks for the week are a smoking ruin.

The NFL is going through a very big parity phase for some reason, games get blown out in the weirdest ways, I wonder if it's some rule changes or something else doing it?

There's only a small handful of teams you can really count on for consistent performances, it's odd to be this topsy turvy

My totally unresearched opinion of this that it is due to the number of passing teams in the NFL. Because so many teams operate a passing based offense, it leads to an increased importance in getting ahead in a game. Once a team gets ahead by a couple scores it forces teams to start throwing the ball which leads to shorter possessions for the team that is trailing and wears out their defense. Because these defenses are so winded, and that teams spread them out on defense, it allows offenses to exploit matchups and target these less talented players who are also tired. This leads to a barrage of scoring which is made worse by the trailing offense throwing the ball so much.

Old days, teams ran the ball throughout a football game while both being ahead and behind. This led to fewer possessions and more time for defenses to rest and recover. Now teams throw when ahead because it is executing their base offense and the trailing team will go three and out taking up about 45 seconds on some possessions due to in-completions.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Hey we won, but wins like this mask this problems this team has. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy but unless Hall turns out to be what we hope he is the team is still set to let us down.

Bucky-----Hall has already shown that HE IS WHAT WE HOPED HE WAS-----a real leader who sets the example for his team-mates to follow. The only way he will ever let you down, is if you expect more out of him than he is capable of giving. He has some serious limitations, which he overcomes with his charismatic and firey resolve to get the job done, however he can do it. This inspires his team-mates to play that way too, and they find themselves overcoming their mistakes instead of laying down and quitting.

We must never forget, however that we are just one play away from having DA back under center. We must also remember, as you so aptly pointed out, that we still have major roster problems to fix yet on this team.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Hmm... gonna disagree with this.

We ran pretty well against the rams and raiders IIRC, but NO's defense is good, probably very good.

Give hall a chance to work with the first team and to get more PT under his belt. Give our WR core a chance to get healthily and for our wretched oline to build a little continuity.

We'll have better offensive days than this duck. To the point where we won't need a heroic performance from the D to pull out win.

Heroic effort? I'd settle for a 3 and out more than every once in awhile. :D

I'm really confused by your post.

I just don't see what the offense has to do with the Cards being able to beat any team if the D forces several turnovers. Do you not think that they can?

Brighteyes

Super Bowl!
Reaction score
The Saints game plan going in was to utterly stop the run and force a rookie QB to have to pass to win. Their defense is very good, and did indeed shut down the run.

Maybe we can all agree on a middle of the road view? Perhaps this team is not a Super Bowl contender yet, and that may not happen this year. But we've got some bright spots, and frankly now we have reason to believe we will keep improving.

If your expectations are win the Super Bowl or bust, you'll probably face a bust. But if you're hoping for 8-8, maybe win the division, you've got a good reason to hope.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heroic effort? I'd settle for a 3 and out more than every once in awhile. :D

I'm really confused by your post.

I just don't see what the offense has to do with the Cards being able to beat any team if the D forces several turnovers. Do you not think that they can?
I told my wife that they needed to punt on both third downs at the end of the game.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

I agree with you. We have many who are ready to proclaim Max the next coming. He did a yeoman job yesterday and has some promise. I sure hope Max makes it big but this is Only one game guys. All of us want an underdog to make it big. It is the natural thing. however Max has a long way to go to show he will be what we all are hoping he will be. We learned somethings about Max Sunday and hopefully Max learned somethings about the NFL. Do not expect to much from this young man. We have a long tough road ahead of us and you can be sure the opposition will be looking to rattle the rookie. He has at least given us some hope. We deserve a bit of luck as we sure did not get any from Leinart of Anderson.