Deandre Ayton on Defense

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ayton is a young kid, and big men take a while to develop. I don't think Ayton has "arrived". He will good games, mediocre games, and a few bad and great games sprinkled in. I think the point is that we have finally seen him flat-out dominate. He was clearly the most dominant force in the paint last night, and while the Knicks are not a good team, they do have some size. I would guess that we'll start seeing games like this from time to time, and as the time goes by, those games will become more frequent. Outside of that one insane half last year, he really hasn't shown us that he can flat-out dominate. I think that's what makes this game very important.
yup.

OP
OP
CardsSunsDbacks

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Curious how these numbers look when only including the games he's played in. The off court numbers in this include all the games that he missed as well.

Figured out how to get it, but only for the last 9 games. During this stretch of 9 games with Ayton the offensive rating is 115.5 on the court and 89 with him off the court. The defense is 105.4 with him on the court and 106.7 with him off the court. The net rating during this stretch is +27.8 when Ayton is on the court.

Interestingly Booker has a +35 net rating during the same stretch with essentially the same offensive numbers, but with a 103.8 DRat when he's on the floor as opposed to 114 when he's off the floor.

https://stats.nba.com/team/16106127...019-20&SeasonType=Regular Season&LastNGames=9

Last edited:

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Curious how these numbers look when only including the games he's played in. The off court numbers in this include all the games that he missed as well.

Figured out how to get it, but only for the last 9 games. During this stretch of 9 games with Ayton the offensive rating is 115.5 on the court and 89 with him off the court. The defense is 105.4 with him on the court and 106.7 with him off the court. The net rating during this stretch is +27.8 when Ayton is on the court.

Interestingly Booker has a +35 net rating during the same stretch with essentially the same offensive numbers, but with a 103.8 DRat when he's on the floor as opposed to 114 when he's off the floor.

https://stats.nba.com/team/1610612756/onoffcourt-summary/?Season=2019-20&SeasonType=Regular Season&LastNGames=9
Yeah. We should probably trade both of them while their value is up. Then we can get picks and free agent space. Who knows, we might be able to draft another Alex Len, Bender, or even Ty Jerome!

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Yeah. We should probably trade both of them while their value is up. Then we can get picks and free agent space. Who knows, we might be able to draft another Alex Len, Bender, or even Ty Jerome!

Or Chriss if we get really lucky. Maybe even another Josh Jackson if we can trick another team into picking someone else and letting him slide down to us.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Does this become Ayton's team for the 20-21 season? Hopefully he doesn't get suspended or is free of any injuries (knock on wood)...

Having not played a full season, Ayton has shown real progress in a short amount of time this year. We all can see the impact he makes when he's off and on the court, even with the eye test.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Does this become Ayton's team for the 20-21 season? Hopefully he doesn't get suspended or is free of any injuries (knock on wood)...

Having not played a full season, Ayton has shown real progress in a short amount of time this year. We all can see the impact he makes when he's off and on the court, even with the eye test.
No. It’s books team unless and until Ayton wrestles it away from book. But that requires Ayton putting the team on his back and leading them to w’s.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No. It’s books team unless and until Ayton wrestles it away from book. But that requires Ayton putting the team on his back and leading them to w’s.

That's what i'm asking, at this rate of improvement, does he improve well enough next season that we consider this Ayton's team.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
It’ll take more than just improvement. It’ll take a change in his attitude. He will likely continue to improve (please lord) but I think the mentality will take more time.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That's what i'm asking, at this rate of improvement, does he improve well enough next season that we consider this Ayton's team.
It’s really hard for a center to take a team on his back. Guards have to defer to him in order for that to happen and in today’s game they rarely do.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
We need the same from Book.

When a team cannot win the close ones, especially at home, and has a below-.500 record, it's nobody's team.

Except Sarver's, of course. And we know where that has gotten us.

You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose