Deandre Ayton facing 25 game suspension

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Are you intimating that the nba has an axe to grind with (a) one of the worst and insignificant teams in the league or (b) with the #1 pick in the draft last year who by all public accounts seems to be an affable likable kid? I don’t see it.

No, I am saying they arbitrarily grind their ax against whatever teams and players have the least impact on their bottom line. Do you think that Ayton is the only lame brain in the entire NBA who is breaking the rules?

If marijuana use (just for an example) is so widespread among pro athletes in general (and the NBA, in particular) - as is generally conceded by just about everyone - how come at least 10 to 20% of players in the league aren't currently on some kind of suspension... or even anything over the history of the league since the drug testing policy came into play? At the very least, the statistical evidence of historical enforcement doesn't add up.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I don’t think that’s excessive. Do you disagree that to understand consequences you have to care about the consequence?

That’s your opinion. My opinion is whether it’s 5, 10 or 25, it’ll have the same impact on him. At a certain point, it becomes self-torturous to say he should lose 25 games. Why not go all-out and say 75?

Ayton also has to deal with the monetary implications, embarrassment, and feeling of letting his teammates and coaches down. If you’re concerned with care, that’s a lot for a professional athlete to consider

NashDishesDimes

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Actually pretty similar to NFL suspension. PP got 6 games which us just over 1/3 of the season.

just kind of weird that if you punch someone in the NBA its probably a 1-2 game suspension.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
the league apparently thinks so. it's so punitive because he not only broke the rules, but then tried to break the rules again to mask the first infraction. as far as I'm concerned, you throw the book at someone like that in whatever way you think needs to get the message across to never do that again. missing games and not being allowed in the arena during games feels appropriate to me.
That certainly is the thinking behind the severe penalty. I wonder why the NBAPA believes they have a case to make for a reduced penalty.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Gilbert Arenas spoke about the suspension on Twitter, mentioning how it's excessive when compared to other league suspensions. When compared to other suspensions, it is ridiculous and I think that's where most of the outrage from Suns fans comes from.

You must be registered for see images attach

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Gilbert Arenas spoke about the suspension on Twitter, mentioning how it's excessive when compared to other league suspensions. When compared to other suspensions, it is ridiculous and I think that's where most of the outrage from Suns fans comes from.

That definitely puts this in some perspective.

TJ

Reaction score

He’s 100% correct

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
that reminds me: Robert Horry got 2 games for the Nash hip check and 2 games for throwing a towel at Ainge

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well then this bounces me back to thinking the 25 is appropriate given the masking agent.

Yeah. I thought it would be interesting to look at it from the other end of the spectrum not looking at the most outrageous violations first. So the length of Ayton's suspension is not much different from what other players have received for similar violations.

Of course I'm still hoping the NBPA can reduce the suspension.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
man... I'm really cheesed off at this. That kid just took a dump on the entire team and wasted a season because he was either too stupid/lazy to get out of this like most professional athletes or because he doesn't have the discipline needed to be the best, because being the best means being on the damn court.
And this is the kid you would have had an aneurysm over had we picked Doncic over him. :rolleyes:

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
(psst - it’s called being capable of admitting when you’re wrong. Cheese is pretty good at it)

also I still think it’s too early to predict Doncic is the clear winner for a career
It's just a good natured ribbing. I still have hope for Ayton too. I was 50/50 on Ayton/Doncic at the time of the draft. I just vividly remember how strongly Cheese was against Doncic over Ayton.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
It's just a good natured ribbing. I still have hope for Ayton too. I was 50/50 on Ayton/Doncic at the time of the draft. I just vividly remember how strongly Cheese was against Doncic over Ayton.
Yeah he was definitely 100% on Ayton. I was too by draft time. But I didn’t think Doncic would be average. I expected him to be great too.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah he was definitely 100% on Ayton. I was too by draft time. But I didn’t think Doncic would be average. I expected him to be great too.
I think most of us were here. I did not think Doncic would be this good of a shooter.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I think most of us were here. I did not think Doncic would be this good of a shooter.
Not even the slightest bit surprised by anything Doncic is doing. Still wanted Ayton at #1 though. I still think Ayton can prove to be the right pick. There is a long way to go before we have seen Ayton at his peak.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Exactly! It wasn't so much about the better player. More, as
it should be, who would best help the team going forward.

A Center, or trying a Forward with good distribution skills?

Considering how inept we were at Center at the time, it
made sense to fill that need over a non-Guard distributor.

It was not in the best interest for a team as weak as we
were at so many positions to take more stabs in the dark
versus building a solid foundation.

I say that despite Ayton not yet showing the strength in the
middle that we hoped for. As evidenced by our then having
to find a legitimate Point Guard, which we, happily, did.

And Ayton's suspension is proving it is easier to find good
role-playing Centers to go with an expert Point Guard than
vice versa. Especially when it leads to returning Booker to
his good distributing Shooting Guard position, even though
he is going through an adjustment in his first 2 games.

In retrospect, it was the best decision. Even without Ayton,
it passes the eye test, because we wound up with a legitimate
Point Guard, which helps everyone else on the team more
than any other position.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

that argument and my infamous JOSH MCCOWN IS THE ANSWER thread are EASILY the biggest misses I've ever on the board. I've already done a 180 on the Ayton/Doncic debate. Doncic's got it, besides being an offensive force, distributor and very good rebounder while Ayton up to this point has been mostly a stat-padding (last year) idiot (this year's suspension), IMO.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Should have drafted Trae! :D

I think Young has been (slightly) better than Doncic. And yeah, both have been more productive than Ayton. But that is more a matter of drive and maturity than physical ability... Ayton still has far more potential than either Young or Doncic on that count. But whether he ever gets his head screwed on straight is the big question.

TJ

Reaction score
I saw nothing in Young at OU that told me he was a Top-5 pick. Dude was streaky and lacked confidence at times. He’s definitely been a pleasant surprise.