D'backs, Yankees and Rays make three way trade. OF Souza coming to Az. Drury and Banda are leaving.

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Nice to get a power bat back in the lineup. We now have no farm system. Reno might as well take the year off.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice to get a power bat back in the lineup. We now have no farm system. Reno might as well take the year off.

They are trying to get to the post season again while Goldies in his prime. Going to be another fun year at the stadium

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Good move for the D-backs. And I'm glad to see Drury get a chance somewhere else. He didn't have a place here. It wasn't his fault, but that's the way it was.

I'd like to see Souza get his .239 batting average up, though. The 30 HR's look good and hopefully his RBI's will increase also.

It might also help Lamb, with him at cleanup with righties around him.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Good move for the D-backs. And I'm glad to see Drury get a chance somewhere else. He didn't have a place here. It wasn't his fault, but that's the way it was.

I'd like to see Souza get his .239 batting average up, though. The 30 HR's look good and hopefully his RBI's will increase also.

It might also help Lamb, with him at cleanup with righties around him.

As long as he maintains his .350 OBP and hits for power I couldn't care less about his batting average. This is a really nice deal on paper but I've never been high on Drury so we'll see.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
As long as he maintains his .350 OBP and hits for power I couldn't care less about his batting average. This is a really nice deal on paper but I've never been high on Drury so we'll see.
Souza's OBP with a low batting average = a lot of walks, which diminishes his power potential. Last season he had 84 BB vs. 125 hits. 40% of his AB's were walks. Two out of every five AB's, and you know that most of those will be with runners on base.

Even if he hit .333 in the remaining three AB's (which he won't), that gives him and one in five odds to put the ball in play and utilize his power.

If he follows Goldy and an inconsistent Lamb in the batting order, it won't help him being pitched around. BTW, he had 179 strikeouts last season -- additional AB's without putting the ball in play. I would be concerned about that. We're getting the poor man's JD. I hope he becomes a presence in the batting order.

John Philip Sousa wrote "Stars and Stripes Forever". I hope this Souza doesn't write "Walks and LOB Forever". :)

Last edited:

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
30 HRs and 16 SBs with an .810 OPS. Only one of 7 players who hit 30 and 15. Those are Trout, Lindor, Goldy, Odor, Myers, Santana, and him. WAR of 4.2.

And you get 3 years of control.

For a guy who would have fought Chris Owings to even make the team and a decent pitching prospect

Praxis

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
There's no way Souza stays healthy. And where does Tomas play with LF Peralta, CF Pollock, and RF Souza? We probably platoon Souza and Tomas, but now we're even more weak in the infield. Hopefully we make a couple more deals.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First, Tomas doesn't play. He isn't on the team this year, just like he wasn't last year. Owings, Marte, and Ahmed will be fine on the INF

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
He seems to be the second coming of Mark Reynolds with less power. In fact, Reynolds & Souza's numbers the last 3 years are eerily similar.

Praxis

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
First, Tomas doesn't play. He isn't on the team this year, just like he wasn't last year. Owings, Marte, and Ahmed will be fine on the INF

So Tomas will be traded? It'll take picks/prospects to move him now. Most likely he will need to play to regain value in order to be traded. Plus, we will need him when Souza gets hurt.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No he will be DFA Reno or bought out. He has zero trade value. Less than zero. You have to eat his salary or give up stuff to get rid of him.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He seems to be the second coming of Mark Reynolds with less power. In fact, Reynolds & Souza's numbers the last 3 years are eerily similar.

Yeah Wins Above Replacement really ***** all over that 'opinion'

Reynolds War the last 3 years...1.9 combined.

Souza War last year. 4.2

1 year vrs 3

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Yeah Wins Above Replacement really ***** all over that 'opinion'

Reynolds War the last 3 years...1.9 combined.

Souza War last year. 4.2

1 year vrs 3
Not really when you consider you take away that 4.2 for last year and the last Souza's last 2 years we 1 & .9, so that 4.2 maybe an outlier. You look at their raw production numbers and they are the same. Reynolds had higher OBP, SLG & OPS numbers although they were close.

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well if you can't get Martinez, get a guy who looks like him if you squint your eyes.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not really when you consider you take away that 4.2 for last year and the last Souza's last 2 years we 1 & .9, so that 4.2 maybe an outlier. You look at their raw production numbers and they are the same. Reynolds had higher OBP, SLG & OPS numbers although they were close.

Well Mark Reynolds plays in Colorado. That park greatly inflates his numbers, which is part of the reason his Wins Above Replacement is so low. Here are his splits on those raw numbers.

Batting Average: Home: .294 Away: .242
OBP: Home: .393 Away: .313
SLG: Home .584 Away: .392
OPS: Home: .978 Away: .703

2/3rds of Reynolds HRs came at home. He is really a 20 home run hitter who happens to play in Colorado. Not surprisingly most of his doubles came on the road because those balls weren't a mile high.

Souza's batting average on the road is .258. He had small bumps away from his hitter depressing park across the board.