D'Backs, Upton Close to Extension

azsportsfan01

Registered
Reaction score
Was just about to post this. If this deal is true then holy crap Josh Byrnes is amazing. Upton for only $50 mil? I thought it would be much higher than that. This would be such a steal and a great way to get the baseball season started.

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
Makes sense for both parties. By the time the contract is up Upton will still be in his prime, so he'd be in line for another monster payday.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Great news, another 6 years of Upton sounds good to me.

OP
OP
boondockdrunk

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
diamondbacks Justin Upton's six-year contract extension is scheduled to be announced Wednesday in Tucson, Ariz.

http://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/9888202258

The extension begins with the 2010 season and will last through the 2015 season. It is reported to be six years, $51 million.

D'Backs, Justin Upton Finalize Multiyear Deal
By Tim Dierkes [March 2, 2010 at 3:19pm CST]
Justin Upton and the Diamondbacks finalized a six-year deal that will pay the outfielder just over $50MM. The extension, which the club is expected to announce tomorrow, begins with the 2010 season and runs through 2015.

Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports first reported the deal, Ken Davidoff of Newsday tweeted contract details and Bob Nightengale of USA Today noted that the deal was finalized and confirmed financial details.

Though he's only 22, Upton had a breakout 2009 with a .300/.366/.532 line. Such production at that age brings Hall of Fame comparisons. Upton would have been arbitration-eligible after the 2010 season, so this deal buys out two free agent seasons.

A six-year deal in the $50MM range would be a bargain for the D'Backs. Miguel Cabrera, for example, will be paid about $74MM for the same slice of his career. Andruw Jones made $57.4MM, and his extension was signed nine years ago. Nick Markakis, though, will earn about $47MM for the same portion of his career.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/03/justin-upton-close-to-multiyear-deal.html

Last edited:

joshstmarie

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Im not quite on par with baseball salaries as much as I am basketball, but when I saw the numbers I was shocked. Is this not an amazing deal for the dbacks? (<------real question)

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Great news. I hope they get it done for that amount. Next up should be Webb.

azsportsfan01

Registered
Reaction score
Im not quite on par with baseball salaries as much as I am basketball, but when I saw the numbers I was shocked. Is this not an amazing deal for the dbacks? (<------real question)

Baseball controls salaries for a players first 6 years. They get near the minimum for the first 3 years then go to arbitration for the next 3. Players see their salary go up significantly but the record is $10 million so it is still quite a bit less than a free agent. I would imagine Upton will get somewhere between $2-$5 mil for the first 4 years then get $15+ for his 2 free agency years.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Great news. I hope they get it done for that amount. Next up should be Webb.

Team is now negotiating with Reynolds, per AZ Republic. Webb is going to be difficult because it will be difficult to get insurance for his shoulder.

OP
OP
boondockdrunk

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
Team is now negotiating with Reynolds, per AZ Republic.

Apparently those talks are not going as quickly yet:
Mark Reynolds Extension Talks Going Slowly
By Ben Nicholson-Smith [March 2, 2010 at 2:30pm CST]

The D'Backs are close to locking up their franchise player, but further from locking up the man who hits behind him. Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports reports (via Twitter) that the club is not nearly as far along with Mark Reynolds as it is with Justin Upton, who is close to signing a six-year extension.

Jon Heyman reported recently that the D'Backs offered to buy out Reynolds' three arbitration years for $11MM. The sides were recently discussing whether to buy out two years, in which case Reynolds would still negotiate his 2013 contract with the club, or three. We've heard for weeks that the D'Backs will work to complete the possible extension before the season starts.

There is inherent risk with any long-term deal, but the D'Backs could boost their offer from $11MM and still save money. Reynolds could ask for $5MM after this season and expect raises in 2012 and 2013, but he would have to produce this coming season. That wasn't an issue last year, when Reynolds hit 44 homers and posted an .892 OPS, playing slightly below average defense.

Reynolds, who narrowly missed being arbitraiton eligible early as a super two player, will be arbitration-eligible after 2010 and eligible for free agency after 2013 barring an extension.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/03/mark-reynolds-extension-talks-going-slowly.html