Dbacks given 72 hour window, these are the players involved in Johnson trade

Diawsome

Registered
Reaction score
So because the Dbacks traded for an old pitcher the youth movement is abandoned? Which top young prospect is Randy going to be blocking? That's the difference right there. Keeping Gonzo would have stunted the growth of some youngsters that can play the position at least as well as he can at this point in his career.

The thing I fear most is that will not be the case with Eric Byrnes still on the roster. :sad:

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The thing I fear most is that will not be the case with Eric Byrnes still on the roster. :sad:

Dude, what's your issue with Eric Byrnes? Outside of Frank Thomas, can you name a better free agent signing that Byrnes in terms of $$$/production?

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
If Gonzo could throw anywhere near 90 mph, I think that the D'backs would have kept him. Since he could only play the outfield, he became expendable because we have youngsters who would be cheaper and better players than Gonzo would be at this point in his career.

Now, the deal for RJ is cheap, in relative terms, when compared to the other contracts which have been given out this off-season:

Andy Pettitte: 1 year, $16M
Jason Schmidt: 3 years, $47M
Barry Zito: 7 years, $126M

Gil Meche: 5 years, $55M
Ted Lilly: 4 years, $40M
Jeff Suppan: 4 years, $42M
Jason Marquis: 3 years, $21M
Vicente Padilla: 3 years, $34M
Miguel Batista, 3 years, $25M
Adam Eaton: 3 years, $25M
RJ: 2 years, $26M

Look at it this way, would you rather have some of these contracts floating over the organization's head in the future? Excluding the top three, the Johnson contract is very similar to those given to pitchers like Meche, Suppan, Marquis, and Eaton. I doubt any one of us would want those guys over having Johnson back, even if he is 43.

Last edited:

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
Dude, what's your issue with Eric Byrnes? Outside of Frank Thomas, can you name a better free agent signing that Byrnes in terms of $$$/production?

While we cannot argue that Byrnes was not productive for the money it cost the organization; we are arguing that there is a cheaper and possibly even more productive player who destroyed Triple-A last year. Hairston could come in and produce at the same thershold as Byrnes but does not have nearly as much trade value as EB. I know he is a fan favorite but he has never put up two good seasons back to back, and always has a giant drop-off the next year.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll give it a shot. Eric Byrnes had an OBP last season of .313, which was 12th on the team. He has yet to prove that he can put together two solid back to back seasons. He completely disappears in the second half, and he's done it enough times where you can call it a trend. His pre and post-all star splits have a staggering difference for every full year he has played except 2004.

Considering that he'll probably be awarded up to $4M in arbitration this year, I think that level of production can be deemed replaceable.

Espo

Lets Go Suns
Reaction score
I'll give it a shot. Eric Byrnes had an OBP last season of .313, which was 12th on the team. He has yet to prove that he can put together two solid back to back seasons. He completely disappears in the second half, and he's done it enough times where you can call it a trend. His pre and post-all star splits have a staggering difference for every full year he has played except 2004.

Considering that he'll probably be awarded up to $4M in arbitration this year, I think that level of production can be deemed replaceable.

Plus defensively he is not great. He doesn't have the range and makes up for it by diving for a lot of balls he shouldn't.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Plus defensively he is not great. He doesn't have the range and makes up for it by diving for a lot of balls he shouldn't.
True, but it isn't as concerning since he will be shifting over to left this year.

shoewizard

Reaction score
Byrnes is really a platoon player thrust into an everyday role

Vs RHP .242/.304/.410 .714 OPS

Vs. LHP .300/.357/.527 .884 OPS

Of course 2/3 of his at bats have come against righties, as roughly 2/3 of the pitchers in baseball are righties.

A STRICT platoon of Davanon against righties and Byrnes against lefties would actually be pretty productive. But Melvin would never do that, and anyway, it doesn't look like Davanon will be ready opening day.

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
RJ was just introduced after a 30 minute press conference that was aired on FoxSports. It was actually a good presser and it left me excited. A couple notes:

* Said he wanted to come back home to be with family, pitch again for AZ, and retire a Dback.

* Said he attributes his high ERA last year to a bad back. Said he could barley bend over let alone throw quality pitches. Interesting quote, he said he didn't tell anyone that his back was bothering him because he wanted to "give back in some way since he was an overpaid athlete."

* When asked by a reporter if he would bring back the mullet he said not without the help of hair extensions. I thought it was hilarious that a reporter assked him that.

* When asked how he plans to help the younger players he said the pitching staff consists of vets and they won't need much help. Said he will be there for any of them to offer advice but said their all established pitchers. Said he benefited greatly from advice he was given when in Seattle and plans to do that for the young position players.

* Will start playing catch next week and said he is "slightly behind" everyone elses schedule. Didn't mention if he'll be ready Opening Day

Diawsome

Registered
Reaction score

Looking at this....

.267/.313/.482 26 hrs 79 rbis 82 runs 25 SBs 88 Ks (562 ABs)
.271/.352/.444 15 hrs 73 rbis 93 runs 69 BBs 58 Ks (586 ABs)

Eric Byrnes seems to get a pass because of his personality/emotion but this was the best season in his career and he is praised for it while Gonzalez had a better season then Byrnes and he is blasted for it.

1. Byrnes isn't able to hit RHP to save his life (.242/.304/.410) career #s
2. Byrnes doesn't know how to get on base, doesn't show any discipline at the plate and produces too many early/easy outs.
3. Byrnes isn't able to play a full season without falling flat on his face in the 2nd half (.234/.290/.389) career #s

Those are 3 major deficiencies for someone who is in line to make around 5 million through arbitration and be a middle of the order bat while being labeled the "face of the franchise"

If he were brought back as a 4th OF for 2 million or less then I would have no objections to it but with the market the way it is he will be looking at double that amount while taking playing time away from someone like Scott Hairston who could easily put up those type of numbers (fewer steals, more power) for league minimum.

hafey

Registered
Reaction score
what everyone else said about Brynes.

don't let your eyes fool you.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Byrnes led the team in HRs and was one off leading the team in RBIs and he was solid in center.

I know 79 RBIs isn't anything to brag about but why do you want to get rid of our best and most clutch run producer?

I'll trade you a big truckload of POTENTIAL for a guy who has actually done something any day.

If you can figure out a way to put a proven 100 RBI guy in left great but I am not thrilled at the prospect of getting rid of Byrnes so we can plug another AAA player in the lineup.

Last edited:

Espo

Lets Go Suns
Reaction score
Byrnes led the team in HRs and was one off leading the team in RBIs and he was solid in center.

I know 79 RBIs isn't anything to brag about but why do you want to get rid of our best and most clutch run producer?

I'll trade you a big truckload of POTENTIAL for a guy who has actually done something any day.

If you can figure out a way to put a proven 100 RBI guy in left great but I am not thrilled at the prospect of getting rid of Byrnes so we can plug another AAA player in the lineup.
How is hitting .242 against right handed pitching a clutch run producer?

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score

Hairston has far surpassed the realm of 'potential.' A lot of people forget that he hit 13 homeruns in the majors during the 2004 season.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
How is hitting .242 against right handed pitching a clutch run producer?

I don't have any stats to back it up but I remember Byrnes getting more clutch late inning hits than anybody else.

I'm not a big stat hound but I do know that have to score more runs than the other team to win the game. Why is everybody in such a hurry to get rid of 79 RBIs? The main thing I remember about Hairston is that he makes CoJack look like a baseball genius.

I don't remember a single instance of Byrnes screwing up because his head wasn't in the game.

Don't get me wrong, I like Byrnes but I'd trade him for 100 RBIs in a second.

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's what the most likely scenario is......

Since the Dbacks havent signed Byrnes to a multi-year deal, they're just looking at him to be stop-gap until Carlos Gonzalez is ready/poised enough to become the Dbacks everyday LF..... If Gonzalez has an explosive spring-training, then Byrnes might be traded just before opening day.... Or, the most logical situation would be to promote Gonzalez by May/June (contingent on how he's performing in Tucson) and then Byrnes would be dealt then.... He has excellent redeemable value since he will try to prove his keep/worth elsewhere.... I envision Byrnes ending-up in the AL and the Dbacks could get 1 solid starting pitching prospect along with a lower minor level starter with good upside......

Ive never been a major fan of Hairston... He seems to lack the fundamentals and will always been entrenched as a AAAA type player... He tends to pull off the ball excessively and is rather injury prone... Plus, it just seems he's more nonchalant than anything else......He to me might be traded in spring training in the same vain that Cintron was, but hopefully that net a better player in return......

I'm concerned about DaVanon being counted on as the 4th OF... he too is injury-prone and is too streaky..... Robbie Hammock could probably play LF in emergency as well, but he's served better as an utility player......

I'm still elated with the RJ trade.... Josh Byrnes should be anointed as the messiah.... He didnt buckle under the high demands that I know Joe Jr. would have.... He wasnt in an immediate hurry by dealing away the prospects the Yankees initially demanded.. He showed some patience, poise, and control..... He probably has the most sound baseball mind than anyone else in the ML right now..... I applaud for what he did.... He just gave-up average prospects for a 4-time CY award winner who will rediscover the fountain of youth of here.....

I had 2 back surgeries myself... the last being Lumbar Spinal Fusion (which is what I assume Johnson had)..... It took me a cpl mos to recover and I'm not in the physical condition of what RJ is.. meaning.. not of a professional athlete... Plus... the Dry Heat does wonders..... I only experience some pain (rather mild) when the temps are below 65..... that's why I think RJ suffered in the post season w/the Yankees.. he cooler temps compounded the the pain in his back beyond belief...... I think he's actually prolonging his career by returning back here to the Valley.... He might even have more than just 2 mere years left in the tank..... It shall be intriguing to monitor his progress, but I believe in the end result it will be a major steal/coup for the Dbacks.....

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
I don't have any stats to back it up but I remember Byrnes getting more clutch late inning hits than anybody else.

I'm not a big stat hound but I do know that have to score more runs than the other team to win the game. Why is everybody in such a hurry to get rid of 79 RBIs? The main thing I remember about Hairston is that he makes CoJack look like a baseball genius.

I don't remember a single instance of Byrnes screwing up because his head wasn't in the game.

Don't get me wrong, I like Byrnes but I'd trade him for 100 RBIs in a second.

A few Byrnes numbers from last season:

He hit .273 with the bases loaded.

With runners in scoring position he hit only .239, but that average went up to .296 with runners in scoring position and two outs.

With a runner on 3rd and less then two outs he hit .211.

In "close and late" at bats he hit .293 with 15 runs batted in.

You can check out all his splits here:
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/splits?statsId=6558&type=batting&year=2006

Stallion

Cats, Cards, Bax, Suns
Reaction score
* When asked by a reporter if he would bring back the mullet he said not without the help of hair extensions. I thought it was hilarious that a reporter assked him that.

Ha ha, that IS funny. It should required now that he's back in AZ. :rockon:

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The press conference is up on the diamondbacks.com main page, for those interested. Its about 30 minutes long.

Phill11

The Payphone Man
Reaction score
Hairston has far surpassed the realm of 'potential.' A lot of people forget that he hit 13 homeruns in the majors during the 2004 season.

In 2004 he also had 84 hits and 88 strikeouts...

Along with a stellar .248 BA and a .292 OBP...

Yes, I understand it was his rookie year. And yes, I think he has the potential to be a solid DH/UTIL guy. But I really don't see him getting a shot here.

Personally I'd love to keep him as a 4th OF, backup 2B and a DH for the AL games... I'd really like to see him get into 100-125 games or so. I'm not saying start. But play in a good amount of games.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn