Was Just A Rumor: Diamondbacks Request A 72 Hour Negotiating Window With The Big Unit

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
I'll hold off on seeing what's going to NY before I pass judgment, but I have to admit my first impression is PR move by Kendrick and company to repair much of the negativity that has been going their way since they ousted Colangelo.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Byrnes already has given up a few average pitching prospects for an aging starter most likely on the downside of his career (see the Livan Hernandez deal, one which many at the time absolutely hated), so it is likewise an easy step to see that he is capable of doing such a thing again (although obviously the stakes with Randy are much higher). Contrary to popular belief, Kendrick and Moorad didn't get where they are by being stupid. They know just like everybody else here knows that the only way to truly put fans in the seats, not aquire names. Getting Randy certainly won't hurt publicity-wise, but they are surely aware that ticket sales when Randy was here the first time were not much better on days he pitched as opposed to days he did not. Kendrick, Moorad, and company obviously have to sign off on the deal in the end, but I do not believe this trade is solely driven for PR purposes.

Espo

Lets Go Suns
Reaction score
How did Kendrick get where he is? I don't believe he made his money in sports. I agree that Moorad knows what he is doing since he has been in the sports world for his career but I don't know about kendrick. Also I don't think comparing trading Garrett Mock and Matt Chico, not considered top prospects, to considering dealing Nippert and Owings two of their top pitchers.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How did Kendrick get where he is? I don't believe he made his money in sports. I agree that Moorad knows what he is doing since he has been in the sports world for his career but I don't know about kendrick. Also I don't think comparing trading Garrett Mock and Matt Chico, not considered top prospects, to considering dealing Nippert and Owings two of their top pitchers.
Kendrick made his money in software development and banking, but has actually been with the team since the very beginning back in 1995. The point was that it isn't hard for Kendrick and Moorad to see why getting Randy wouldn't be that big of a PR boost.

Owings is clearly the best of the group, but I don't think that I would call any of them "top" prospects (not that I think this is a good trade in the first place).

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Looks like the Diamondbacks could throw in a third player and the rumor is that guy is Chris Carter.
http://diamondbacks.scout.com/2/605933.html

By James Renwick
Managing Editor
Posted Jan 2, 2007

There are been many reported variations on the deal, but one part has been pretty much universally agreed upon. The D'Backs are going to give up one of their top pitching prospects, either Micah Owings, Dustin Nippert or Ross Ohlendorf, and reliever Brandon Medders. Reports have had a third player included, and FutureBacks.com has learned that third player could be first baseman/outfield/DH Chris Carter.

Randy Johnson is a 43 year old left hander with Hall of Fame credentials and a medical report that could fuel an entire season of "House" episodes. His knee, back, and shoulder have all given him issues in the past two seasons, and his salary has been giving the Diamondbacks fits for the last two seasons as well. He has not been the same pitcher who won four Cy Young awards in Arizona. Not even close.

The problem here is one of now vs. later. By making this move the Diamondbacks are, without a shadow of a doubt, making a statement to fans. First, go buy a new uniform. While Stephen Drew, Conor Jackson, Miguel Montero, Carlos Quentin, and Chris Young may be merchandise-moving stars of tomorrow, right now they are unproven youngsters. Randy Johnson is not, and the die-hard fans in Arizona are most certainly going to be online minutes after the deal, buying Sedona red and black '45' jerseys.

Second, we're going to try and win right now. Though there is a talented nucleus of young players, most would pick the D'Backs to finish, at best, third in the NL West behind the revamped Dodgers and perennial contender Padres. With the signing of Barry Zito even the nursing home ready Giants might be looked at as a better club than the Diamondbacks right now. Getting Randy Johnson back would give the D'Backs the marquee offseason acquisition they have been looking for.

The problem is that he is no longer a marquee pitcher, just a marquee name.

Don't get me wrong, when I first heard about the possibility I got excited as well. Randy comes back into the desert, giving the D'Backs a legit #2 and starting rotation of Brandon Webb, Johnson, Livan Hernandez, Doug Davis and Enrique Gonzalez. That is a pretty starting five, or at least is would be if Randy made 30 starts.

But it seems unlikely he will. Maybe the warm weather will sooth his achy joints. Maybe the dimmer spotlight will calm is raging temper. Maybe the various retirement communities spread out through the Valley of the Sun will remind Randy what he's pitching for, but at $16 million this year, and a similar amount in 2008 is too high a price to pay.

And the talent they are giving up is too high as well. Owings is the pitcher most often named, and he is the one ready to take a huge step forward, after taking a giant step forward last season. Owings has become one of the top pitching prospects in the nation, and the second highest rated pitching prospect in the D'Backs organization (we have him rated #6 on The FutureBacks 50, just behind lefty Greg Smith).

Will Randy come? Increasingly the reports look like the answer will be 'yes.' Will the D'Backs give up too much to get him? Increasingly the answer looks like 'yes.' Will it matter if the Diamondbacks sell another 10,000 '45' jerseys in the new colors? Maybe not, but come September...of 2008 when the D'Backs are wishing Owings was anchoring the rotation with Webb during a pennant chase instead of watching Randy on the disabled list, it very well might.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Will Randy come? Increasingly the reports look like the answer will be 'yes.' Will the D'Backs give up too much to get him? Increasingly the answer looks like 'yes.' Will it matter if the Diamondbacks sell another 10,000 '45' jerseys in the new colors? Maybe not, but come September...of 2008 when the D'Backs are wishing Owings was anchoring the rotation with Webb during a pennant chase instead of watching Randy on the disabled list, it very well might.

This comes down to what most of us have already said. If its Owings, its a bad deal. If its Nippert, its liveable

The Dbacks have given enough signs that they aren't all that high on Nippert and if it gives them a couple of years to improve the pitching in the minors then I can live with it

Espo

Lets Go Suns
Reaction score
This guy is an idiot if he thinks that Randy wears 45. Kind of kills whatever else he says in the article. You would think his source could have helped him out with that basic info.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
This guy is an idiot if he thinks that Randy wears 45. Kind of kills whatever else he says in the article. You would think his source could have helped him out with that basic info.

He didn't even wear 45 in New York.... I was thinking the same thing about this guy

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Maybe not, but come September...of 2008 when the D'Backs are wishing Owings was anchoring the rotation with Webb during a pennant chase instead of watching Randy on the disabled list, it very well might.

Welcome to life as a fan of a poor team. Might as well be the Pittsburgh Pirates.

This team is destined for perpetual mediocrity if they have to sell top prospects to maintain a bottom line.

Espo

Lets Go Suns
Reaction score
Welcome to life as a fan of a poor team. Might as well be the Pittsburgh Pirates.

This team is destined for perpetual mediocrity if they have to sell top prospects to maintain a bottom line.

This comment doesn't make any sense. How is selling prospects helping to maintain a "bottom line" when they are taking on 16M in salary? They certainly aren't making up the difference in ticket sales.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
This comment doesn't make any sense. How is selling prospects helping to maintain a "bottom line" when they are taking on 16M in salary? They certainly aren't making up the difference in ticket sales.

If the rumors are true about the 40 million dollar deferment which is the only way any of this even makes any sense.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Their payroll is still in the middle of the pack, the diamondbacks really can't cry poor. It should take only another three seasons for the team to pay off nearly all of their deferred payments, at which time the payroll can be expanded significantly, according to Kendrick.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Their payroll is still in the middle of the pack, the diamondbacks really can't cry poor. It should take only another three seasons for the team to pay off nearly all of their deferred payments, at which time the payroll can be expanded significantly, according to Kendrick.

I keep reading about these deferments.

Either Colangelo and company sold their souls for a ring or Kendrick is manipulating the facts to keep the locks on his coin purse.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Either Colangelo and company sold their souls for a ring
or Kendrick is manipulating the facts to keep the locks on his coin purse.
Bingo, but it was worth it.

Espo

Lets Go Suns
Reaction score

Either Colangelo and company sold their souls for a ring or Kendrick is manipulating the facts to keep the locks on his coin purse.
What I don't get is Kendrick was here when Colangelo did these deferments so he has to have had some say so isn't he to blame also?

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What I don't get is Kendrick was here when Colangelo did these deferments so he has to have had some say so isn't he to blame also?
Its hard to say how much power the investment group had in those days as they did not initially have a majority share. They bought more stake in the franchise from Jerry as the Diamondbacks losses begun to mount. They weren't too pleased when player salaries escalated to the point where it was greater than the amount they had invested, so Colangelo was eventually forced out after a long disagreement.

Espo

Lets Go Suns
Reaction score
According to KTAR Owings is not part of the deal Olhendorf is and Medders will not be par of the deal either.

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
According to KTAR Owings is not part of the deal Olhendorf is and Medders will not be par of the deal either.

If that's true then let's push the deal through. If somehow we can get him to cut his deferred payments and don't have to give up Owings I would consider this a more than fair exchange. After all, if it allows us to enter free agency sooner then I think it's worth it even if we have to overpay for him this year.

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score

Then let's do it. Trading Olhendorf is acceptable because he really does not have the velocity to start at the MLB level.

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
If that's true then let's push the deal through. If somehow we can get him to cut his deferred payments and don't have to give up Owings I would consider this a more than fair exchange. After all, if it allows us to enter free agency sooner then I think it's worth it even if we have to overpay for him this year.

If true, I'm very happy that both Owings and Medders aren't part of this deal. I was hoping the Byrnes we have come to know would shine through! If the Yanks are not getting Owings and Medders then I'd find it hard to believe that they would throw any cash our way. Kendrick must really want RJ because he'd be going over budget to bring him in.

RJ, if I'm not mistaken, will not be cutting his deffered payments but would rather would be accepting them in different forms. If we could get him to convert some of his deffered payments into ownership stakes then that would help us out.

nathan

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Then let's do it. Trading Olhendorf is acceptable because he really does not have the velocity to start at the MLB level.

He hasn't been throwing 95+ mph as he did in college, but as far as I know he's been in the low 90's which is fine for a sinker/slider pitcher. I think he's a better prospect than Steven Jackson, but don't really know what to expect from either of them. The Southern League is a pitcher's paradise. 2006 was the first time either Jackson or Ohlendorf had success in their pro careers.

Status
Not open for further replies.