D'Back Release Bob Howry

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
Diamondbacks released RHP Bob Howry.

Not a great showing from the right-handed setup man in Arizona. Howry inked a one-year, $2 million contract this offseason -- and will probably get to keep all of it -- but allowed a ridiculous 17 earned runs in 20 1/3 innings for the Diamondbacks this season. He packed his things Monday. Still, we'd bet that his 1.15 WHIP from last year will land him a shot elsewhere.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=MLB&id=2614

About time something was done to address the bullpen.

In separate move, the D'backs aquired RHP Saul Rivera from the Indians for cash.

Diamondbacks acquired RHP Saul Rivera from the Indians for cash.

Rivera joined up with the Tribe this offseason on a minor league contract, but hasn't been able to pitch himself out of Triple-A Columbus. He should be helpful in Arizona, though, where the late-innings bullpen corps has been a disaster. Chad Qualls is still the closer, and Aaron Heilman is probably next in line now. Rivera fits somewhere in middle relief.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=MLB&id=1291

Not too major of a move, but one done out of desperation.

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't have released Howry. I'd have released the entire bullpen. The starting pitching hasn't been great but we've given up 68 runs in our last 7 losses. I swear, Mark Grace could help this pen more than some of these guys.

Steve

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Most hated pitcher in D-Backs history?

--Howry
--Byung Hyun Kim
--Russ Ortiz
--Jon Rauch
--Other

Place your votes below!

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

--Howry
--Byung Hyun Kim
--Russ Ortiz
--Jon Rauch
--Other

Place your votes below!

Kim probably wins this but he wouldn't get my vote. I always felt a little sorry for the guy.

Steve

Tyler

Registered
Reaction score
Russ Ortiz because of what he did in the past and the fact that it wasnt all that long from the WS win.

OP
OP
boondockdrunk

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score

--Howry
--Byung Hyun Kim
--Russ Ortiz
--Jon Rauch
--Other

Place your votes below!

I would not even put Jon Rauch or Byung Hyun Kim on my top five most hated Diamondbacks pitchers. Really I cannot understand why any D'backs fan would hate Kim, if we had lost that World Series he would be hated, but that is not the case. Jon Rauch had a down first half of the year last season but he pulled it together prior to being traded.

I would probably rate them:
1. Russ Ortiz
- Quite possibly the worst free agent acquisition in Arizona professional sports history.
2. Willie Blair
- Signed to a huge contract, becoming the 6th highest paid player on the team in their first season, Blair went 4-15 in only 23 starts (making no relief appearances) before being shipped off to the Mets for Bernard Gilkey who we are still paying today.
3. Jason Grimsley
- Plenty of reasons to dislike this juicer.
4. Elmer Dessens
- Power hitter Durazo was shipped to Oakland in a three team deal that sent only Dessens to Arizona. Elmer, whose previous only good statistical year was that prior to joining the Diamondback, struggled as the #3 starter behind Johnson/Schilling and would eventually lose his spot in the rotation less than 10 months of being acquired.
5. Bob Howry
- The worst pitcher on a historically bad bullpen. If he had played longer I am sure that he would be much higher on this list.

My vote for the most hated position player to ever wear a Diamondbacks uniform would probably be Richie Sexson. Who only played 23 games after being acquired and promptly bolted for Seattle after only cashing in his huge pay checks while on the DL here.

Last edited:

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Todd Stottlemyre: 15-11 in four years as a DBack with a 4.77 ERA all the while making $32M?

Kim, in no way, deserves to be on this list. Without him at Closer 2001 playoffs don't happen, our closer was Greg Swindell with yet another year of Matt Mantei on the DL.

How come Mantei doesn't make the list? Gives up the Hundley HR in 1999? :shrug:

Last edited:

sundevilscott

Kaycee's Daddy
Reaction score
Todd Stottlemyre: 15-11 in four years as a DBack with a 4.77 ERA all the while making $32M?

Kim, in no way, deserves to be on this list. Without him at Closer 2001 playoffs don't happen, our closer was Greg Swindell with yet another year of Matt Mantei on the DL.

I would agree with Mantei and disagree with Stottlemyre. I think Todd had some major Injury issues that held him back.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score

Yeah, you are right about Kim. I should have clarified that I meant the World Series version of Kim (which is the version that comes to mind any time anyone mentions his name.

I posted the list as a semi-joke, but wow, I had forgotten all about Stottlemyre and Mantei. Nightmares of seasons past...

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Rauch at least had a great 2nd half last yr.

Ortiz and Dessens, hands down two worst.

Rauch was good before he came to AZ and seems to have resurrected his career after he left. I am just bitter about that, which makes me hate him and his stupid neck tattoo.

Ortiz is my pick, but Howry is a close second on my list, despite his short stint in AZ. They are the suckiest sucks who ever sucked.

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
Brian Bruney was pretty bad...but pretty much any overweight, overrated Latino starter that we've brought in over the years. Russ Ortiz was terrible, but he could hit if I remember correctly so he was fun to watch... sometimes, not often. Albie Lopez though...ugh.

OP
OP
boondockdrunk

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
Cubs add Howry, demote Berg

CHICAGO -- The Chicago Cubs signed veteran relief pitcher Bob Howry to a contract on Friday before they took the field against the Texas Rangers for a three-game series.

The team optioned reliever Justin Berg to Triple-A Iowa in a corresponding move.

Howry, who's previously pitched for the Cubs and Chicago White Sox, was released by the Arizona Diamondbacks last weekend. The 36-year-old veteran mostly likely will be used in the sixth and seventh innings by manager Lou Piniella.

The Cubs will pay a pro-rated rate of the major-league minimum of $410,000.

The right-hander signed a one-year deal with the Diamondbacks in the offseason, but fell out of favor when he allowed 17 runs in 14 1/3 innings.

Howry had a 3.39 ERA in 63 appearances for the Giants last season.

Berg had a 6.43 ERA in 14 appearances this season. To make room on the 40-man roster, right-hander David Patton was designated for assignment.

This will not preclude the Cubs from seeking an eighth-inning set-up man via trade.

Bruce Levine covers baseball for ESPNChicago.com. Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/news/story?id=5208686

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard