David Johnson on dwindling role in Cardinals offense:

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...in-cardinals-offense-its-obviously-been-hard/

David Johnson has arguably endured the biggest free fall in production over the course of the 2019 season than any other player in the NFL. The Arizona Cardinals running back is being paid like a top tier player at his position, but is barely seeing the field.

The 2016 All-Pro seemed to hit rock bottom in Week 11, playing in just nine snaps against San Francisco. Kenyan Drake has seemingly taken over as the starting back in Arizona and with Chase Edmonds now returning from his injury, Johnson's role in the backfield is a mystery...

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was expecting a quote from Johnson. Misleading title.

he just said it’s disappointing and he thinks he’s still the same player.

once that thought of retirement creeps in you might as well do it cause your not fully committed anymore. It’s human nature

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
He's a conundrum now. What do you do with a player who is being paid so much for so little and who's trade value is sinking like a rock? Is it possible to trade with cash being offered as part of the deal so the new team doesn't have to absorb his entire salary or can he be traded with the Cardinals paying part of his salary such as a good portion of the guaranteed money? Keim really put the team in a pickle with the contract for Johnson. It's the second time he's paid big bucks to a player who was coming off a season ending injury.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Jesus. I’ll do the 10 seconds of work.

“It’s obviously been hard,” Johnson said, via Kyle Odegard of the team website. “In the past, I was in the majority of the snaps. It’s been rough. I’ve just got to move past it and make the most of every opportunity.”
...and thank you for your 10 seconds of work. :)

DumboD

Rookie
Reaction score
In defense of Keim, Johnson got the big contract at a time when he looked like he was going to be a premier RB, even after the injury. Also, at the time I believe there was a possibility of Johnson holding out and further jeopardising the outlook for the season. It looked like a win-win for both the team and the player. It's easy to second-guess the decision now. But there were few who predicted such a decline for Johnson.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
His current role has been well earned.

I think the best thing the Cardinals can do is cut him in the offseason.

Sooner the better

Sent from my mystical communication warp drive device thingy

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He's a conundrum now. What do you do with a player who is being paid so much for so little and who's trade value is sinking like a rock? Is it possible to trade with cash being offered as part of the deal so the new team doesn't have to absorb his entire salary or can he be traded with the Cardinals paying part of his salary such as a good portion of the guaranteed money? Keim really put the team in a pickle with the contract for Johnson. It's the second time he's paid big bucks to a player who was coming off a season ending injury.

this is the type of BS Keim gets. Could you imagine the **** storm if we just let Johnson walk lol. It was a wrist injury let’s not act like he tore up his ACL.

a wrist injury for a RB shouldn’t be a big deal but it’s clear he doesn’t really want to play football anymore

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Sooner the better

Are there sign and trades in the NFL?

I hate to get nothing when there is potential he does well elsewhere

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While we pay 10m for him to do so

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Sooner the better

Cutting him after the season is a $16 million cap hit, while $14.25 million hit to keep him. I think based on that, he should sit the rest of the year and come back next year and hope he can be average. Cutting him after next year is only at $3 million cap hit.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
First, if they don’t play him there’s no hope of trading him.
Second he’s the best receiving threat among the backs on anything longer than a 5 yard throw. He’s still a weapon when properly deployed.
One would like to say he still has immense value as possibly a third down back but he cannot pass block

Dingding

Veteran
Reaction score
David's pass blocking is horrid. He was often in Arian's doghouse for it, and whiffed earlier in this season on several chips/blocks.

My concern is his ability get open will continue to deteriorate. Team's are watching. His bread and butter has been killing linebackers who naturally have inferior coverage skills. As more and more teams realize he can't run for respectable yards anymore, he's going end up with defensive backs covering him. In other words more games like the last one production wise, with few targets.

We'll see how it plays out the rest of the season. Fact is he's now 2nd (or maybe even third string).

This part is interesting:

"In the Cardinals’ most recent game, Johnson played nine snaps and got no touches.

Johnson talked to the coaches but said he received no clarification on his role."

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
This part is interesting:

"In the Cardinals’ most recent game, Johnson played nine snaps and got no touches.

Johnson talked to the coaches but said he received no clarification on his role."

When you see statements like this you have to wonder what is going on. Is it Johnson not really listening to what the coaches are telling him or are the coaches really giving him a brush off? Either way it's a cause for concern at both ends. The other unmentioned item here is where are the team captains and their involvement in this? Fitz and Shipley, in my opinion should be at least somewhat involved in this.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
From Scott Bordow at the Athletic:

"[Johnson]dismissed the idea that he’s a different player than he was three years ago.

His general manager thinks otherwise.

Earlier Wednesday, during his weekly appearance on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM, GM Steve Keim said Johnson was being “indecisive” when running the football.

It was a rare public criticism and it didn’t sit well with Johnson. Asked about Keim’s comments, Johnson said, “Everyone has different opinions.”

Bordow also said the Cards likely will try to resign Drake.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
From Scott Bordow at the Athletic:

"[Johnson]dismissed the idea that he’s a different player than he was three years ago.

His general manager thinks otherwise.

Earlier Wednesday, during his weekly appearance on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM, GM Steve Keim said Johnson was being “indecisive” when running the football.

It was a rare public criticism and it didn’t sit well with Johnson. Asked about Keim’s comments, Johnson said, “Everyone has different opinions.”

Bordow also said the Cards likely will try to resign Drake.
Yeah...this is like TO stating that he can still play in the league. It is tough for guys to comprehend when they begin to lose it. It is easy to look at themselves and believe that they are still in the same shape (they generally continue to be in very good shape) and focus on not getting opportunities vs what caused them to lose opportunities.

It will be interesting to see what happens in the offseason. DJ's trade value has been nil for a while now. He probably is not inclined to give away money through a restructure, and he may not want to retire due to what he would lose out financially. Cutting him hurts us vs the cap and creates a hole on the roster. Ultimately, how he handles this in the locker room is probably what will determine if he stays or is cut. I still maintain that he will not be on a football team by the end of the 2021 season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard