Dark Tower series by Stephen King

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Book V, Wolves of the Calla just came out (Nov. 4).

Anyone read beyond book III yet?

My wife and I both have read I-III and although we own IV (Wizard and the Glass) we've yet to read it.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been tempted to re-read these. They come out so far apart I've forgetten just about everything that happens in them.

They must have just printed a new batch of the older ones; I've been seeing them in the grocery store lately.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
C'mon now...the first one was originally released in 1982...seems like only yesterday. :D

FischerKing

Beer me a post...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bought it the day it came out but haven't read it yet. Been working thourgh "When Pride Still Mattered" first.

Got all the King books including the DT series. I've read them all and my favorites are the first and the fourth so far.

Shawn

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'm not really into Fantasy but I love Stephen King and have read about 90% of his books, I've started to read a few of the Dark Tower series and it just seemed like they were not my thing. Whats your opinion on the series am I misjudging the books??? How good are they compared to regular King Novels???

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Originally posted by FischerKing
Bought it the day it came out but haven't read it yet. Been working thourgh "When Pride Still Mattered" first.

Got all the King books including the DT series. I've read them all and my favorites are the first and the fourth so far.

Shawn

What is you favorite King Novel, Ive read almost all of them, missed out on only a couple like Bag of Bones and Hearts of Atlantis and a few others got to check. I really like Insomnia

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quick poll: Would it be worth it for me tom go and buy 1-5 of these books? I enjoy King for the most part, and read the first two of these books years ago.

-or-

Should I just forget about trying to ever get back iknto this series and forge out on my own?

FischerKing

Beer me a post...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Pariah
Quick poll: Would it be worth it for me tom go and buy 1-5 of these books? I enjoy King for the most part, and read the first two of these books years ago.

-or-

Should I just forget about trying to ever get back iknto this series and forge out on my own?

I think they are worth the money - but then again I love the series so I'm biased. :)

Shawn

FischerKing

Beer me a post...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by DevonCardsFan
What is you favorite King Novel, Ive read almost all of them, missed out on only a couple like Bag of Bones and Hearts of Atlantis and a few others got to check. I really like Insomnia

Insomnia ranks high up on my list. My all-time favorites though are the DT Series. Carrie was good as well - the first of his books I ever read.

Shawn

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by DevonCardsFan

Four Past Midnight, The Stand (Uncut), Needful Things, The Bachman Books, Thinner, Misery.

mdamien13

Go Cardinals! Yay!!!
Reaction score
Always been a huge SK fan but I just started the Dark Tower series.

I have to say after the first one I'm kind of scratching my head. Definitely falls into the fantasy category and piqued my interest enough to get me to read Drawing of the Three but I wouldn't even put it on my top 5 SK books. Maybe the series picks up but if I had started in 1982 I probably would've forgotten all about it by the time the second one came out.

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
the first one is a lot different from the rest...almost like he was trying to be poetic...haven't read wolves of Cahalla yet..plan to soon...read his other books so long ago though that I doubt I'll remember all of the characters he put in this book from the past books...Some times I find it too far fetched like anything can happen. I mean you still want it to try to be based in some kind of reality right? It feels like all the main characters could be blown away and then on the next page they could be at disney land or something...I like my books to feel like they are in normal reality except for a few supernatural things...

mdamien13

Go Cardinals! Yay!!!
Reaction score
Just saw this

http://www.creature-corner.com/onthepage/feb06song.php3

Just a quick, last minute update thing...the official Stephen King newsletter just announced that the sixth book in the Dark Tower saga will be published a full two months earlier than originally planned due to overwhelming popular demand. The release date for Song of Susannah has moved up from August 24th to June 8th, and the final book, The Dark Tower, is now coming out September 21st. This is great news for those of us that have waited nearly 30 years for this tale to be complete.

I'm almost done with Drawing of the Three and I have definitely become engrossed in the series. I wasn't too thrilled with the first one but after reading that one and now Drawing of the Three, I realize that while neither are incredible books on their own, they are very engaging setups for a larger epic. Can't wait to get to The Wastelands!

FischerKing

Beer me a post...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Woo Hoo - glad they are moving the release date up - that's so awesome. :D

Shawn

Originally posted by mdamien13
Just saw this

http://www.creature-corner.com/onthepage/feb06song.php3

Just a quick, last minute update thing...the official Stephen King newsletter just announced that the sixth book in the Dark Tower saga will be published a full two months earlier than originally planned due to overwhelming popular demand. The release date for Song of Susannah has moved up from August 24th to June 8th, and the final book, The Dark Tower, is now coming out September 21st. This is great news for those of us that have waited nearly 30 years for this tale to be complete.

I'm almost done with Drawing of the Three and I have definitely become engrossed in the series. I wasn't too thrilled with the first one but after reading that one and now Drawing of the Three, I realize that while neither are incredible books on their own, they are very engaging setups for a larger epic. Can't wait to get to The Wastelands!

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
I liked all of them but the new one is pushing it. I didnt like the ending but I did like how a certain character was written into it. If he wasnt written in I would never have read 'Salem's Lot. I think that may be my favorite Stephen King book. I am reading The Stand right now and I love it. I am about a third done.

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Wow I'm braindead. I was reading this thread and thought to myself after reading a post, that's exactly how I feel! Then I looked at who wrote it and noticed that it was me :D

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dark Tower Comics by Marvel
Source: StephenKing.com

Marvel Comics to publish Dark Tower Comic Books

Stephen is working with Marvel to produce a series of comic books inspired by and adapted from his Dark Tower novels. The first six issues will appear monthly and then will be collected in a hardcover volume published by Marvel in time for the holidays. The comics will integrate scenes from the novels with new material, creating a linear history of Roland Deschain as a young man.

Marvel Dark Tower Update

Stephen and Marvel have decided to push back the launch of the Dark Tower comic books to 2007. "Given the size of the project and all the creative talent involved, I want to give the Marvel series all the room to breathe it needs and deserves," said Stephen. "I've got so much else going on in 2006 - two novels coming out, CELL and LISEY'S STORY, and the work with John Mellencamp on 'Ghost Brothers of Darkland County.' The Marvel series is going to be a blast, and I want to have the time to enjoy it."

The 1st issue of the yet-to-be-named first arc of the Dark Tower comic series will be shipping in February 2007. The last issue of this six-issue series will be shipping in July 2007. The first hardcover collection will be shipping in October 2007.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've read the first, and maybe the second book in the series (can't remeber exactly). I'll probably start from the beginning once they're all out in a "box set."

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brian in Mesa said:
My wife and I both have read I-III and although we own IV (Wizard and the Glass) we've yet to read it.

Still the case. We'll likely get all the books and then read through the entire series. :thumbup:

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, so I found this thread too.

Books 5 and 6 are out already? That's frakking awesome :)

I loved the first one...so weird...so dreamlike...

I think this is the first Stephen King book I've ever read.

I have the first four books already from a friend, and am halfway through Drawing of the Three.

This one has been pretty crazy too and I still love it. I just want to see how it finishes now. I'm pumped that I picked these up, because nothing is better to me than a series of books with an ultimate ending.

FischerKing

Beer me a post...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, so I found this thread too.

Books 5 and 6 are out already? That's frakking awesome :)

I loved the first one...so weird...so dreamlike...

I think this is the first Stephen King book I've ever read.

I have the first four books already from a friend, and am halfway through Drawing of the Three.

This one has been pretty crazy too and I still love it. I just want to see how it finishes now. I'm pumped that I picked these up, because nothing is better to me than a series of books with an ultimate ending.

:thumbup:

shawn

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The comics are coming out soon. Most comic shops have a "sketchbook" preview issue that's free of charge. Got mine yesterday. :thumbup:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard