D'antoni accepts Knicks offer

SunsFanVegas

Registered
Reaction score
I can't help but feel a little bit sad....and very afraid of what we will be left with to coach the team.

OldDirtMcGirt

Reaction score
Could there be a worse fit in the entire league for D'Antoni than the Knicks job? He definitely should've gone with the Bulls. The Knicks are a godawful team, and his coaching style isn't really compatible with their needs.

OP
OP
S

shazaam6

Censor this
Reaction score
No matter who we get, Nash is the offensive coach. He will figure out something. He needs help with a Defense scheme though. I just hope Nash and Kerr get along well.

OldDirtMcGirt

Reaction score
No matter who we get, Nash is the offensive coach. He will figure out something. He needs help with a Defense scheme though. I just hope Nash and Kerr get along well.

Nash is really the ultimate team player. I'm sure that he'll get along just fine with Kerr, and it seemed as though some of his jabs throughout this season and last season might've indirectly been about the coach.

With a veteran ladened team like the Suns, it's important to get a coach that the players respect. That means either an established guy like a Paul Silas, or a former star like Bill Laimbeer or Kurt Rambis. Will Thibadeau (sp?) is a popular choice around here, I'm not sure if he'll be able to get along with such collossal personalities on the Suns. He wouldn't have the same respect coming straight into the locker room that a Bill Laimbeer would have.

passenger

Let's get Nashty
Reaction score
New York is going to eat him alive.

No,it's a good fit and he will be successful in New York,he will be one of the nominees for the coach of the year in 2009 due to win differences with the previous year.

First of all,he is going to team that has only won 23 games last year,after Thomas' horrible season,they re now excited,energized,this change will be like a revolution for the fans,franchise.

They are getting 2 top picks,maybe including Beasley.He has used Quentin well in PHX,I won't be surprised if 3-4 players of NY have career seasons.

He will demand some trades,go for Calderon,Diaw etc,I assume

With bold prediction,the Knicks will make the play-off's next season.

OP
OP
S

shazaam6

Censor this
Reaction score
Could there be a worse fit in the entire league for D'Antoni than the Knicks job? He definitely should've gone with the Bulls. The Knicks are a godawful team, and his coaching style isn't really compatible with their needs.

Yes, but if he sucks there, they will pay him 6 million a year and he may come out smelling like a daisy anyway because the players will get most of the blame. Unless he gets new players that are his choice, not likely though with those bad high-priced contracts the players have limiting trade options. Maybe Mike thinks worst case scenario... he will only last 2-3 years but get paid for 4. Then he will go somewhere else and double dip.

Last edited:

LV-Suns

Go Suns
Reaction score
He couldn't handle the criticism here in Phoenix. He wont be able to breath in NYC.

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
He couldn't handle the criticism here in Phoenix. He wont be able to breath in NYC.

What criticism?

The media was very good to D'Antoni for most of his run here, only turning on him in the last month or so (with the playoff failure). It was at that point where there was no return, because once the media doesn't support you, you're pretty much screwed.

LV-Suns

Go Suns
Reaction score
It pretty much started since the beginning of the year.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
dantoni becomes the new larry brown. wanting to be fired, forcing the knick to pay him.

on a serious note. that knicks team cant get much worse, atleast i dont think so. if dantoni builds the offense around starbury like he did nash, starbury might be happy.

then randolph becomes diaw.

crawford = bell.
robinson = barbs.

they have no stat though.lol

btimsah

My Name Is Robert!
Reaction score
Was D'antoni anything before Nash came and ran his stuff?

TheHopToad

Россия отстой!
Reaction score
Was D'antoni anything before Nash came and ran his stuff?
He coached the Nuggets during the strike shortened season of 98-99. They had a 14-36 record and finished in sixth place. DA was fired and replaced by Dan Issel. In fairness, the Nuggets were 11-71 the year before under Bill Hanzlik.

In his first season with the Suns, the year before Nash came, the Suns also finished in sixth place with a record of 21-40 under D'Antoni, who replaced Frank Johnson after an 8-13 start.

Last edited:

FullBony

Reaction score
He will do well there, maybe not next year, but he will succeed in New York. After he wades through Isiah's mess he'll have this team in the playoffs without a doubt. Why? Because the Knicks have money and will get him the players he needs to fit his system (unlike the suns - see Shaq). Anyone that says D'Antoni wanted Shaq is crazy, it was all Kerr. I wish him well. I think he got an unfair rap here at the end.

Now who do we get? I feel sick. Everyone says Kerr has a plan, does he? I hope so.

gdiddy

Registered
Reaction score
He will do well there, maybe not next year, but he will succeed in New York. After he wades through Isiah's mess he'll have this team in the playoffs without a doubt. Why? Because the Knicks have money and will get him the players he needs to fit his system (unlike the suns - see Shaq). Anyone that says D'Antoni wanted Shaq is crazy, it was all Kerr. I wish him well. I think he got an unfair rap here at the end.

Now who do we get? I feel sick. Everyone says Kerr has a plan, does he? I hope so.

Exactly. Everyone on this board is missing the boat on this: Mike will have 4 years in a franchise that will be unloading a lot of players due to expiring contracts. He will get a fresh start, while the boneheads in the desert are frantically assembling a roster to get "one last push."

Shaq is not part of D'Antoni's system. For him to really mean that he wanted the Shaq trade is nothing short of cognitive dissonance.

TheHopToad

Россия отстой!
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if Paxson and Reinsdorf had the same conversation with D'Antoni that he had with Kerr and Sarver. They probably told him that they would like to have him as their coach, but he's going to have to change his style a little and focus more on defense and use more of the bench, etc. That's probably when DA decided that the Knicks had lower immediate expectations and were the team for him.

LV-Suns

Go Suns
Reaction score
Is there anyway Screaming A. Smith could report his analysis on the phone from now on.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
Shaq is not part of D'Antoni's system. For him to really mean that he wanted the Shaq trade is nothing short of cognitive dissonance.

Neither was Grant Hill and I think that's when 'his system' started to go downhill. As good as GH was, he didn't space the floor with his 3pt shooting. He probably thought, what the heck, why not bring Shaq in since my system has been corrupted anyway?

Good luck Mike! You certainly will need it in NYC - it's not the media who will eat him alive, it's those players.

Last edited: