Dan Majerle to be named men's basketball coach at GCU

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Bumping this rather than starting a new thread. I saw him trending on Twitter was worried he was infected with the Corona virus but he has been fired as the basketball coach at GCU. He did make it 7 years with a combined record of 136-89. This year was their worst with him as the coach, going 13-17.

Here is a link to the AZCentral article discussing it...

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...anyon-university-basketball-coach/5039050002/

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No more little Thunder Dan commercials? :sad:

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see what Dan does next.

Sign on as an assistant coach in the NBA?

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’m sure that’s all thunder dan contracted there with all that college arse around

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see where Majerle pops up. He has a couple of restaurants in Arizona so he may prefer to stay close to home.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see where Majerle pops up. He has a couple of restaurants in Arizona so he may prefer to stay close to home.

I doubt he gets another head coaching job, he only got that one because of the Colangelo connection. I could see him becoming an NBA assistant again.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I doubt he gets another head coaching job, he only got that one because of the Colangelo connection. I could see him becoming an NBA assistant again.

Being an NBA assistant coach is probably the high water mark for Majerle but that is not a bad thing. As a player, he will always promote a feeling of nostalgia for me.

StreetTruckinTitan

You talkin' to me?
Reaction score
Being an NBA assistant coach is probably the high water mark for Majerle but that is not a bad thing. As a player, he will always promote a feeling of nostalgia for me.
Yeah his one and only shot should have been with the Sun's instead of Lindsey freaking Hunter but he would have failed just like the rest working for Saver.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah his one and only shot should have been with the Sun's instead of Lindsey freaking Hunter but he would have failed just like the rest working for Saver.
He would have failed. I agree with that. He should not have gotten the shot, because he would have failed. That was easy to see for me.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Agree about the Lindsey Hunter part. It's unlikely Majerle would have been successful long term but he deserved the job more than Hunter.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dan Majerle reportedly files complaint against Grand Canyon University over firing.

From azcentral:

Majerle did not comment when reached out by the Arizona Republic. His attorney, Dana Hooper, provided a copy of the complaint to the Republic.

"Dan just wants what is fair," Hooper said in an email. "This isn’t the route Dan wanted to go, but he had no other option."

Hooper said that Majerle is seeking the full amount due to him under his contract with GCU. The law, she says, "provides for amounts under the contract in addition to other damages, as asserted in the Complaint."

She said Majerle's coaching contract with GCU ran through the 2022-23 season.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...les-law-suit-against-grand-canyon/5219467002/

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Dan Majerle reportedly files complaint against Grand Canyon University over firing.

From azcentral:

Majerle did not comment when reached out by the Arizona Republic. His attorney, Dana Hooper, provided a copy of the complaint to the Republic.

"Dan just wants what is fair," Hooper said in an email. "This isn’t the route Dan wanted to go, but he had no other option."

Hooper said that Majerle is seeking the full amount due to him under his contract with GCU. The law, she says, "provides for amounts under the contract in addition to other damages, as asserted in the Complaint."

She said Majerle's coaching contract with GCU ran through the 2022-23 season.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...les-law-suit-against-grand-canyon/5219467002/

What a difference a couple years makes eh?

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
This is going to get worse than better. GCU needs to come to a settlement on Dan's contract. Trying to not pay is bush league.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What a difference a couple years makes eh?

This is going to get worse than better. GCU needs to come to a settlement on Dan's contract. Trying to not pay is bush league.

The reported text comments from Jerry Colangelo were very interesting from the Arizona Sports article:

The documents reveal a text conversation between Majerle and GCU advisor and former Phoenix Suns owner Jerry Colangelo.

In the evening of March 12, 2020, shortly after the termination, Colangelo texted Majerle, “DAN- I am so sorry this ended this way. BRYAN [sic] [Mueller] was locked in his opinions. I know you are hurt and disappointed but this too will pass. I believe GCU will be fair with you re: contract. Call me if you want too [sic]. JC.” On March 16, 2020, Colangelo reiterated that “I maintain GCU will be fair.”

Unfortunately, Colangelo was mistaken. To date, GCU has refused to pay Majerle under the terms of the Employment Agreement.

https://arizonasports.com/story/2300591/former-gcu-head-coach-dan-majerle-suing-school-after-firing/

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The reported text comments from Jerry Colangelo were very interesting from the Arizona Sports article:

The documents reveal a text conversation between Majerle and GCU advisor and former Phoenix Suns owner Jerry Colangelo.

In the evening of March 12, 2020, shortly after the termination, Colangelo texted Majerle, “DAN- I am so sorry this ended this way. BRYAN [sic] [Mueller] was locked in his opinions. I know you are hurt and disappointed but this too will pass. I believe GCU will be fair with you re: contract. Call me if you want too [sic]. JC.” On March 16, 2020, Colangelo reiterated that “I maintain GCU will be fair.”

Unfortunately, Colangelo was mistaken. To date, GCU has refused to pay Majerle under the terms of the Employment Agreement.

https://arizonasports.com/story/2300591/former-gcu-head-coach-dan-majerle-suing-school-after-firing/

Why would anyone be surprised that Grifters grift?