Dan Majerle to be named men's basketball coach at GCU

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess the Sun Devils still do not believe they can hire a solid basketball coach. He would have been an excellent signing at ASU.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, seems like he would have been good for recruiting at ASU.

Especially since he can relate to young players. A good opportunity missed by the Sun Devils.

HooverDam

Reaction score
Weird, I wonder why they got rid of Russ Pennell. He took them to the D2 tournament this year and last, seems to be a good teacher, seems like he's been great in the community and with the media. Plus he's got long recruiting ties to the High Schools in the State.

Majerle will have to do a good job assembling a staff of good recruiters if he wants to succeed. I also don't see him as much of a teacher type, which will be important at the low D1 level. He seems like if he's going to be a HC he'd fit more in the NBA where he can relate to/manage egos rather than college where instruction is more important.

But who knows, maybe he'll succeed. Good luck to the 'Lopes, I think it'll be fun having another D1 school in town.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Thunder Dan is following in the footsteps of Paul Westphal. But GCU was Westy's 2nd Head Coach job, following one season at Southwestern Baptist Bible College.

It will be interesting to see if Majerle can turn this into an NBA coaching career.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Seeing as recruiting is 75% of the equation in college basketball, he probably has a leg-up on Russ, but I do feel bad for Pennell, who has had solid success now at 2 schools as a HC, seems like a very solid Xs and Os coach, but a pretty lousy recruiter.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I've been meaning to post this but I watched a little piece yesterday or the day before. I believe it was Majerle and Jude on the local FOX but it's what Dan said that really got me. I've heard coach speak and this was far from it. I've heard folks say Dan is to laxed or eased back, even to dumb to coach a team.

Dan friggin Majerle said some real real stuff. The stuff he spoke of just high lighted the Suns past. He did absorb it. or he atleast talks a good game.

Said he plans to bring the passion and intensity he brought as a player, and that he was never the most gifted athelete on the court. Said he loved the fast paced game but he doesn't understand why defense can't be a big part of it. He also said if he gets a 7 footer he will design a post up game plan, that he has seen some stuff and he plans on utilizing what he has.

I plan on following this dude's coaching gig. If anybody hears anything I'd for one like to read it. I see good things for Dan, I see him moving up quickly.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I see good things for Dan, I see him moving up quickly.
I would be happy to eat crow if Dan turns out to be a good Head Coach.

This is a great opportunity for him. It would have been much more difficult if his first head coaching gig had been in the NBA, where he'd be under a microscope with 1000X more power.

FArting

Lopes Up!
Reaction score
Anyone know if GCU can play in the NIT,CBI or other tournaments during their 4 year ban from the NCAA tournament?

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Anyone know if GCU can play in the NIT,CBI or other tournaments during their 4 year ban from the NCAA tournament?

Refresh my memory - why is GCU under a 4 year ban?

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
GCU will serve four years of probation and not be eligible for the NCAA Tournament

I can find nothing about this anywhere. The only think even close is the probation that Arizona was put on while Pennell was coach there. Are you sure you are not confusing the two? If not, please provide a link or stay out of Desert Dawgs stash.

TJ

Reaction score
I can find nothing about this anywhere. The only think even close is the probation that Arizona was put on while Pennell was coach there. Are you sure you are not confusing the two? If not, please provide a link or stay out of Desert Dawgs stash.

Yeah, I'm calling BS on this. Four years is a long probation. That's what Penn State football is serving for the Sandusky sexual abuse scandal.

If this ban is indeed true, it would've gotten tremendous pub and be fresh in my head.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is not probation, etc.

All Division 2 teams transitioning to Division I are NOT eligible for ANY NCAA tournaments for four years. They are allowed to immediately transition ONE men's and one women's (non-basketball/football) to full DI status.

They would be eligible for non-NCAA sponsored tourneys like the CIT, CBA. Not sure on NIT - but I think they are.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is not probation, etc.

All Division 2 teams transitioning to Division I are NOT eligible for ANY NCAA tournaments for four years. They are allowed to immediately transition ONE men's and one women's (non-basketball/football) to full DI status.

They would be eligible for non-NCAA sponsored tourneys like the CIT, CBA. Not sure on NIT - but I think they are.

Thanks Jon, that makes more sense.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Loved Majerle, but can't say I'm rooting for GCU. I can't root for any for-profit university. It's debtor's prison for young people.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
GCU got into some hot water a while back for this, but I'm not sure if any kind of probation is related to it...I don't follow the school closely - something about it sort of creeps me out.

http://deadspin.com/5963972/grand-c...s-the-great-scam-of-ncaa-division-i-athletics

It's University of Phoenix with an athletics department. In fact, GCU might be even more aggressive to an extent, pitching the "only pre-med program in Arizona." Which is true. Except what med school is going to take you? They take kids with Bachelor's of Science from the Arizona state schools, though. Shady practice.

I'm way off topic. Sorry guys. I just get tired of the GCU marketing machine.

TJ

Reaction score
It's University of Phoenix with an athletics department. In fact, GCU might be even more aggressive to an extent, pitching the "only pre-med program in Arizona." Which is true. Except what med school is going to take you? They take kids with Bachelor's of Science from the Arizona state schools, though. Shady practice.

I'm way off topic. Sorry guys. I just get tired of the GCU marketing machine.

UofA offers programs to help get into medical school. Pre med is kind of overrated, IMO.

if you do well on your MCATs, you can still get into a legit medical school. Not saying Ivy League is within reach, but one can probably get into a middle-of-the-road M.D. or D.O. program. Worst-case scenario, one could go to one of the Caribbean schools (or like my wife's cousin did, go to Israel) just to get the degree. As long as they do well on the USMLE boards, they should be fine getting a decent residency spot in the States.

Whether they're for profit or "not for profit," most schools have become marketing machines, especially for online programs. Even in L.A. I see dozens of ASU billboards and bus advertisements.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave