Dan Gilbert, Cavs Owner is a bit Ticked Off

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.nba.com/cavaliers/news/gilbert_letter_100708.html

Dear Cleveland, All Of Northeast Ohio and Cleveland Cavaliers Supporters Wherever You May Be Tonight;

As you now know, our former hero, who grew up in the very region that he deserted this evening, is no longer a Cleveland Cavalier.

This was announced with a several day, narcissistic, self-promotional build-up culminating with a national TV special of his "decision" unlike anything ever "witnessed" in the history of sports and probably the history of entertainment.

Clearly, this is bitterly disappointing to all of us.

The good news is that the ownership team and the rest of the hard-working, loyal, and driven staff over here at your hometown Cavaliers have not betrayed you nor NEVER will betray you.

There is so much more to tell you about the events of the recent past and our more than exciting future. Over the next several days and weeks, we will be communicating much of that to you.

You simply don't deserve this kind of cowardly betrayal.

You have given so much and deserve so much more.

In the meantime, I want to make one statement to you tonight:

"I PERSONALLY GUARANTEE THAT THE CLEVELAND CAVALIERS WILL WIN AN NBA CHAMPIONSHIP BEFORE THE SELF-TITLED FORMER ‘KING’ WINS ONE"

You can take it to the bank.

If you thought we were motivated before tonight to bring the hardware to Cleveland, I can tell you that this shameful display of selfishness and betrayal by one of our very own has shifted our "motivation" to previously unknown and previously never experienced levels.

Some people think they should go to heaven but NOT have to die to get there.

Sorry, but that's simply not how it works.

This shocking act of disloyalty from our home grown "chosen one" sends the exact opposite lesson of what we would want our children to learn. And "who" we would want them to grow-up to become.

But the good news is that this heartless and callous action can only serve as the antidote to the so-called "curse" on Cleveland, Ohio.

The self-declared former "King" will be taking the "curse" with him down south. And until he does "right" by Cleveland and Ohio, James (and the town where he plays) will unfortunately own this dreaded spell and bad karma.

Just watch.

Sleep well, Cleveland.

Tomorrow is a new and much brighter day....

I PROMISE you that our energy, focus, capital, knowledge and experience will be directed at one thing and one thing only:

DELIVERING YOU the championship you have long deserved and is long overdue....

Dan Gilbert
Majority Owner
Cleveland Cavaliers

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Applaud the sentiment but the Cavs are basically as far or further away from the championship as any team in the league. They basically have to tear it down and rebuild from the ground up.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Geez, spiteful much? Way to stay above the fray. James didn't betray anyone; he just looked out for himself in a business that promotes the individual over the group. His motives may be questionable, but he's not evil.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Geez, spiteful much? Way to stay above the fray. James didn't betray anyone; he just looked out for himself in a business that promotes the individual over the group. His motives may be questionable, but he's not evil.

Maybe, but I keep reading things that suggest there was a lot more going on behind the scenes than the average fan saw. I'm curious to discover just what Dan Gilbert meant when he said "There is so much more to tell you about the events of the recent past". When we discover that answer we may be a little more understanding of his reaction.

Steve

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Maybe, but I keep reading things that suggest there was a lot more going on behind the scenes than the average fan saw. I'm curious to discover just what Dan Gilbert meant when he said "There is so much more to tell you about the events of the recent past". When we discover that answer we may be a little more understanding of his reaction.

Maybe. But I expect front offices and players to mislead each other on a regular basis. It's all part of the posturing that is good bargaining. Certain cases, like what Boozer did to Cleveland years back, are extreme, and maybe James will turn out to have been in that category too. But it's been pretty clear to me all along that James is a self-centered jerk who is much more concerned with his global marketing potential than with being a great basketball player, and I can't believe that Gilbert or anyone else with the Cavs has been so blind not to see the same thing.

OP
OP
bankybruce

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Steve

This could be part of it. I expect more over the next few days.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5365793

CLEVELAND -- Cavaliers owner Dan Gilbert says LeBron James "quit" during the playoffs and should be accountable for his actions.

Gilbert, who posted a letter to Cavs fans on the team's website shortly after James announced he plans to sign with Miami, tells The Associated Press late Thursday night that he feels "personally betrayed" by James and that it's "accountability time."

In a phone interview with the AP, Gilbert says "people have covered up for [James] for way too long. Tonight we saw who he really is."

Gilbert says James quit on the Cavs during their second-round series against the Boston Celtics, who rallied from a 2-1 deficit to eliminate Cleveland.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Somewhat hypocritical since Gilbert has been part of the "cover up" for LeBron and only calling him out now because he left. Had he stayed Gilbert would have continued to kiss his ass and support his behavior.

Tyler

Registered
Reaction score
I just want to know if Delante West really slept with LeBrons mom.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
He did quit and the only reason nobody said much about it is because they didn't dare anger the "King." The irony is that this guy would never had said a word about James had he signed with the Cavs. Doesn't that make him just as two faced as the guy he is accusing?

Stewie Griffin

Veteran
Reaction score
I liked this letter better than the ass kissing "we'll induct you into the Ring of Honor" letter Sarver posted for Amar'e

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
I liked this letter better than the ass kissing "we'll induct you into the Ring of Honor" letter Sarver posted for Amar'e

Amare wanted to stay in PHX. The Suns just didn't want to pay him. No similarity at all.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
The Cavs won't win anything before Lebron retires..

They now have a bunch of scrubs and Antawn Jamison for 3 more years or so. They will be one of the worst 5 teams next year easily.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
I don't ..... they'll see just how much of an allstar mo williams is, they'll continue to be disapointed in antawn jamison and the team will go back to being poor

right now they have no front office and no coaching .... they have an owner who on one hand fires the mgmt and coaching and on the other hand crucifies the player who led his franchise to the best record in the league over the past 2 years

cavs fans will rally for a minute .... until they fall behind the bucks in the standings

OP
OP
bankybruce

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't ..... they'll see just how much of an allstar mo williams is, they'll continue to be disapointed in antawn jamison and the team will go back to being poor

right now they have no front office and no coaching .... they have an owner who on one hand fires the mgmt and coaching and on the other hand crucifies the player who led his franchise to the best record in the league over the past 2 years

cavs fans will rally for a minute .... until they fall behind the bucks in the standings

And so I have changed my mind. Great points!!!