Dallas trading Finley?

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Real GM had a blurb today from the Fort Worth Star-Telegram talking about the possibility that Cuban will trade Michael Finley rather than release him, so he could be signed by Phoenix, Denver, or San Antonio. They are saying that the Mavericks have a least one deal already on the table, possibly with Orlando. Chicago, Houston, and Indiana are other possible trade partners listed in the article.

The article goes on to suggest that a trade with Orlando might return Doug Christie, Tony Battie, Stacy Augmon, and/or Kasun. I can't figure out how that trade works for Orlando. It looks like an awful deal for them to me. They could simply dump Christie using the amnesty rule to avoid the luxury tax this next year. Next season they wouldn't be anywhere near the luxury tax limit UNLESS they acquired Michael Finley.

That one seems like a wishful thinking to me. I have trouble believing that Houston, Indiana, and especially Chicago would touch his contract either. Ultimately I think Cuban will have to decide whether it's worth the $54 million to have Finley on their team and away from competitors.

Joe Mama

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:
Ultimately I think Cuban will have to decide whether it's worth the $54 million to have Finley on their team and away from competitors.

Joe Mama

The only thing I'm pondering, if one of these teams make an alleged trade for Finley, perhaps their thinking is that lightning does indeed strike twice (like Phoenix' acquisition of Steve Nash, MVP, from Dallas last year). Perhaps Cuban's castoffs are better than many of the other players out there that are available. :)

I say the above in jest, but I still think Michael Finley has some gas left in the tank.

By the way, I do not think Cuban will eat 54 million dollars if he cannot work out a trade that makes some sense.

Last edited:

sunsfn

Reaction score
Mark Cuban is probably really squirming on this deal about dropping Finley!!!

He has to drop him because 50 mil is a lot of savings even to him.

But, seeing him help someone like the suns or whomever beat the Mavs during the season, and then in post season games must really be getting to him.

I can not imagine anyone taking Finley in any kind of trade.........why?
Cuban is going to be forced to drop him, why help him with a trade since Finley is way past his prime, and the money you pay him is starter minutes.

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
Finley is making too much money, nobody would be willing to trade for him.

SunsPride

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
JPlay said:
Finley is making too much money, nobody would be willing to trade for him.

I took a look at this article on dfw.com, it seems that the Orlando trade is pretty much there for the taking if Dallas wants to do it.

I think now they are just waiting to see if they get any better offers. :bang:

coloradosun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
It gives the Magic a way to get rid of Christie, and either Cato or Battie. The Mavs were rumored to be interested in Stephan Hunter but if this deal goes through he is probably is off their radar.

OP
OP
J

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
coloradosun said:
It gives the Magic a way to get rid of Christie, and either Cato or Battie. The Mavs were rumored to be interested in Stephan Hunter but if this deal goes through he is probably is off their radar.

Christie, Cato, and Battie have only next season remaining on their contracts. Michael Finley has three more seasons. It makes no sense.

Joe Mama

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:
Christie, Cato, and Battie have only next season remaining on their contracts. Michael Finley has three more seasons. It makes no sense.

Joe Mama

If waiving Finley was supposed to get Cuban out from the luxury tax burden, how does trading him do it? Won't he still have to pay the tax if he trades Finley? :confused:

SunsPride

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:

Joe Mama

It does if they want a quality SG for the next 3 years.

Chaplin said:
If waiving Finley was supposed to get Cuban out from the luxury tax burden, how does trading him do it? Won't he still have to pay the tax if he trades Finley? :confused:

True, it won't help him next year but it will the next two years after that since they only have one year left on there contracts.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Makes much more sense to trade for someone who is injured but has a big contract on a small cap team. No one comes to mind, but a lot of teams have really ugly contracts to dump.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
SunsPride said:
It does if they want a quality SG for the next 3 years.

Except they are pretty convinced that Francis needs to be their SG and that someone else needs to come in to run point.

I can understand it from Dallas' point of view, they still save nearly 40 million in luxury tax payments and Finley doesn't wind up on a competitor. However it makes almost no sense for Orlando to do it.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Chaplin said:

It makes sense if he can trade him to a team that is under the cap--Atlanta for example. Atlanta could get a vet guard to go with their young players, and get cash, picks or another player from Cuban.

Cuban would save roughly $100 million over the next 3 years, plus, he gets a $17 million trade exception.

Not saying its going to happen, just an example of what could happen.

OP
OP
J

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
JCSunsfan said:
It makes sense if he can trade him to a team that is under the cap--Atlanta for example. Atlanta could get a vet guard to go with their young players, and get cash, picks or another player from Cuban.

Cuban would save roughly $100 million over the next 3 years, plus, he gets a $17 million trade exception.

Not saying its going to happen, just an example of what could happen.

Of course that's possible under the CBA. It's just not going to happen. Cuban would have to give up a young player like Devin Harris and probably a couple draft picks to get Atlanta to take Michael Finley. Even then Atlanta probably wouldn't do it. He's going to get $51 million in salary over the next 3 seasons.

Joe Mama

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:
Of course that's possible under the CBA. It's just not going to happen. Cuban would have to give up a young player like Devin Harris and probably a couple draft picks to get Atlanta to take Michael Finley. Even then Atlanta probably wouldn't do it. He's going to get $51 million in salary over the next 3 seasons.

Joe Mama

Finley, Harris, two #1's for a conditional second round pick.

If I'm Atlanta, I would do that deal. Finley is a decent player, and 3 years will go by pretty quickly. Dallas' picks, especially if unprotected, could be mid first rounders in the next few years. Harris would be a great addition to that young core.

Cuban might do it just to keep Finley out of the Suns hands.

Oh well, its just imaginary, and has no basis in reality whatsoever.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
If Orlando had really offered their expiring contracts for Finley, the deal would already be done. There's no way the Mavs could pass up a bargain like that.

The only team I can think of who might be willing to offer expirers for Finley is the Houston Rockets--they could use a little size on the perimeter, and they've got some really lousy players with expiring deals. Obviously, Dallas would have the same problems with that deal as they would with releasing Finley and watching him go to Phoenix or San Antonio, but they'd save more money that way.

At this point, I'm just hoping that Finley doesn't wind up hurting the Suns on a new team. I'd love to see him wind up in Chicago or even stay in Dallas for another year or two.

OP
OP
J

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
F-Dog said:
At this point, I'm just hoping that Finley doesn't wind up hurting the Suns on a new team. I'd love to see him wind up in Chicago or even stay in Dallas for another year or two.

I couldn't agree more, F-Dog. I don't think he's going to the Phoenix Suns, so I'm just praying he doesn't end up in Denver or San Antonio. I'd preferred he didn't go to Detroit or Miami, so Chicago looks like a great destination for him. However if he's interested in minutes and really competing for a championship I think Miami would probably be his best destination.

Joe Mama

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn