D-backs vs. Giants series thread

Desert Rat

Veteran
Reaction score
The second-place D-backs will limp up the coast to San Francisco and hopefully find their winning ways up there, it worked for Arizona's football team. Mathematically, the D-backs are still alive, but the Dodgers' magic number is 19 and they have an easier schedule ahead and the Rockies are making another late-season push. But games have to be played and this week, you'll have...

Monday - Petit vs. Lincecum

Petit is being looked to while the top three in the rotation struggle. Last week, Petit was knocked around by St. Louis for five runs in less than five innings. Linceum is a Cy Young candidate, especially with Brandon Webb's sudden inability to win a game. Lincecum is second in the league in strikeouts, one being another Cy Young candidate, CC Sabathia. Lincecum comes off a poor start in Colorado, where he allowed five runs in five innings, but his last four decisions are wins.

Tuesday - Davis vs. Zito

The unpredictable Davis has won in two of his last four starts. Earlier this season, Davis lost to the Giants and lifetime is 3-5 with a 5.10 ERA against them. Zito is unpredictable, also. In Colorado, last week, he allowed two runs in eight innings en route to his ninth win. In the week before, the Reds shelled him for seven runs in over three innings. He won the previous two games after losing the previous two games before that. Zito has 16 losses, which is the most he ever had in a season.

Wednesday - Haren vs. Hennessey - updated 9/10

On Wednesday afternoon, Haren will try to get back to mid-season form after losing two straight games to the first-place Dodgers. Haren is no stranger to the Bay Area, having pitched many years in Oakland. The problem is that this is September, when Haren is a lifetime 7-13 with a 4.46 ERA. The D-backs could use a bottle of Hennessey, instead they'll see encounter the pitcher. Hennessey has an ERA almost as long as his last name. He was recently called up and while with the big club this season, in 13 relief appearances, won a game and lost a game and was shredded for an mammoth ERA of 12.46. The Giants may figure that this is the best chance to hit the reset button on this pitcher, sending him out there to face a team that can't hit its way out of a paper bag.

Last edited:

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
man seriously how bad is this team down 4-0 to the giants in the third this team is a complete joke right now :( and to make matters worse the dodgers are losing 3-0. This team just doesn't care anymore we fail every time we have a runner in scoring postition just pathatic every pitcher we throw out sucks will this ever change? UGH

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Petit is horrible. 4-0 Giants in the third. This game is over as long as Lincecum is pitching. By the way, the Diamondbacks have to face Lincecum again next week while the Dodgers miss him.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
wow isn't it amazing how everyother freaking team can score atleast 1 run when the y have runners on base but we fail everytime and mevlin the worst manager in mlb why even leave Petit in the game :(. Now 5-0 giants 3rd inning way to blow another chance and we have davis going next game wonderful....

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No way should Petit ever start again. Scherzer definitely needs to replace him. By the way, I wonder how many strikeouts Lincecum will have?

Watching this team play like crap in the last month of the season is unacceptable. The Kansas City Royals are showing more life. Freakin' fire Melvin tonight and maybe this team will come to life.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
No way should Petit ever start again. Scherzer definitely needs to replace him.
I second that emotion. Actually, by now, I 22nd it. :)

By the way, I wonder how many strikeouts Lincecum will have?
Almost 16-3. Leading the league in ERA and strikeouts. He has the Cy Young locked up and deserves it.

Watching this team play like crap in the last month of the season is unacceptable. The Kansas City Royals are showing more life. Freakin' fire Melvin tonight and maybe this team will come to life.
I second that emotion, too. Well, by now I 222nd it. :D

OP
OP
Desert Rat

Desert Rat

Veteran
Reaction score
LA finally lost. I'm always glad to see them lose. Tragic number is at 18, you know, combo of 18 LA wins and AZ losses and the D-backs are officially kaput. To rub a little more salt in the wound, the D-backs lost to the pitcher who should rightfully win the Cy Young award. Webb should not win that, even if he miraculously wins every game the rest of the way. On the cusp of winning game #20 and he can't survive past the sixth inning anymore. Josh Byrnes must be glad he didn't extend his deal past the option year of 2010, as many hoped to see.

Last edited:

AzKarl

Veteran
Reaction score
Contract extensions are the Kiss of Death

LA finally lost. I'm always glad to see them lose. Tragic number is at 18, you know, combo of 18 LA wins and AZ losses and the D-backs are officially kaput. To rub a little more salt in the wound, the D-backs lost to the pitcher who should rightfully win the Cy Young award. Webb should not win that, even if he miraculously wins every game the rest of the way. On the cusp of winning game #20 and he can't survive past the sixth inning anymore. Josh Byrnes must be glad he didn't extend his deal past the option year of 2010, as many hoped to see.

Haren's season went to hell after his. Young in the tank this year after his extension. The most famous extension of Eric Byrnes and we know where that went. Not a pretty sight these contract extensions in mid year.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If you expected to win this game you were kind of fooling yourself, we can't hit against regular pitchers let alone one of top 10 in the MLB. This team needs to hit not sure how to do that extra batting practice? new hitting coach? Sorry I just don't see how Melvin is at blame for this ridiculous lack of offense, yet thats peoples solution for the teams struggles.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
so how bad do you guys think we will lose today? i'm guessing lets see 8-3 with two runs coming in the 7th and one in the 9th when game is already over :(. Come on do something dbacks play dirty if you have to just get some runs early and win a freaking game

OP
OP
Desert Rat

Desert Rat

Veteran
Reaction score
They're back to being a team that you expect will do whatever it takes to lose. I wasn't expecting them to beat Lincecum, but at least make an effort to not embarrass yourselves, D-backs.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting to hear what other scouts are saying about the team.
Scout No. 1:
“It’s too bad for them that their pitchers are all falling apart at the same time, whether it’s mechanical or physical or what have you.
“Byrnes getting hurt, Hudson getting hurt. They’re not that great of a team that they can withstand all these hits and bad breaks going against them. I think some of the trades they made were good. Dunn, despite his defensive problems, has really worked out well and that was a bold move. Rauch was the right move but it hasn’t worked out and it makes no sense. The random things haven’t gone their way.
“With Webb, something’s not right. I’ve never seen Webb post back-to-back bad outings -- and I know this is three in a row now. He’s not throwing the same way, not getting on top of the ball the same way. He’s trying to manufacture sink instead of letting his natural sink happen. And his breaking ball doesn’t have the same bite. Maybe it is mechanical; I don’t think so. Maybe when you’re hurting, when you’re shoulder is hurting, you kind of compensate to do different things. Until I see him pitch well, I wouldn’t trust that he’s going to pitch well again.
“I think with Haren every one of his pitches is a tick down -- his breaking ball, his split, his cutter don’t have the same bite. Command isn’t as crisp but it’s not bad. I think he’s just a little fatigued, nothing to be concerned about.”
Scout No. 2:
“The biggest thing is Webb and Haren, who were their staples, they’re not reliable. If they don’t turn it around, they’re done.
“But the Dodgers are far from formidable. They lost eight in a row to teams like Washington, for God’s sakes, so how good are they? They are hot. Ethier is on fire. Everyone’s like, ‘San Diego’s terrible.’ But San Diego has always been a test for the Dodgers.
“With Webb, I wonder if he’s hurt. The stuff is still pretty good, but the command -- he’s up in the zone more than I’ve ever seen him. He usually has pinpoint command and it’s far from that right now.
“They’re just all cold at the same time. A lot of their guys are striking out a ton. I would put Eckstein at the top of the order and move Drew into the middle of the order because he has so much more sock. I think it would have a little more value when he’s hitting with men on base."
Scout No. 3
“Last year, they seemed like they were oblivious to the pressure. Lately, it looks like they’re feeling it. Like the play in LA when Chris Young missed the cutoff man -- the guy was going to score anyway and he allows the other runner to move up. I’ve just seen some examples of careless execution.
“It’s almost like they’re playing the way you would have expected them to play last year, like they’ve been cursed by their own expectations. They look like they’re playing a little tight. I think they miss Hudson, not just for his production but for his energy. Same with Eric Byrnes, for that matter. I think Hudson was able to keep guys from playing tight. I think he’s great for these guys.
“If I had to pick one, I say the Dodgers win this thing. They have better players and they have for two years.”
http://www.azcentral.com/members/Blog/NickPiecoro/32642

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
On the cusp of winning game #20 and he can't survive past the sixth inning anymore. Josh Byrnes must be glad he didn't extend his deal past the option year of 2010, as many hoped to see.
I perceive Brandon Webb to be a very sincere guy, probably one who bruises easily.

Getting hit in his ribs with a hard line drive is not the bruising I'm referring to . . . although I do believe that he's pitching in some pain, which has altered his delivery.

I'm talking about Dan Haren being rewarded with a new contract, but not Brandon. And Haren being moved to #1 in the rotation after the All Star break, pushing Webb to #2.

A shy guy like Brandon can't possibly be as confident under those circumstances as he would if he were treated like the best pitcher in the league by his team. No matter how much he tries to psyche himself.

Is management playing games with their ace -- deflating him as a ploy to save some bucks on a new contract? That's disappointing.

And it's all out there in the open for us to see.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's a related thought. Max Scherzer could be the next Tim Lincecum, if managed correctly. So far this season, he hasn't been.

Let's see if Melvin yanks him from the rotation now if the sun goes behind a cloud.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
not good our offense cant manage more than two runs off zito :( pray we win this game in late innings

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
ugh Snyder just let one go through his legs two on base 2 out for the giants :(

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brandon Webb since the All-Star Game:
Code:
IP   H  R ER BB SO HR
7    7  2  2  0  6  0
8    6  1  1  3  4  0
7    4  3  3  2  8  0 
8    6  1  1  1  6  0
9    9  1  1  0  4  0
6    6  1  1  2  5  0
8    4  2  2  1  6  1
7    3  0  0  3  8  0
4.2  9  6  6  1  4  1
3.1  8  8  6  5  3  2
5.2  5  7  7  6  6  1
That's eight quality starts in a row (over the span of a month and a half), including three after Dan Haren signed his contract. If he really is that fragile that getting the rotation order changed (which happens in plenty of cases all around MLB not only due to the ASG but injuries, callups, rain delays, days off, etc.) and watching a teammate get a new contract made his pitching suffer, it sure took a while for it to show. If the story doesn't fit the facts, it isn't the facts that need to change.

Last edited:

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just great giants have a guy at third with 1 out and dodgers just tied the padres at 2 :( nothing can go right now

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This team is so pathetic right now. They can't beat the Padres or Giants and when they played the Dodgers, they got their butts served to them. You can even sense by Grace and Sutton that season is slipping very quickly.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
wow do we suck 3-2 sf we don't deserve to be in the playoffs this team just doesn't care and melvin makes lame excuses night after night god :(

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I freaking cannot stand Tony Pena. HE SUCKS.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
i'm at a lost for words right now now 4-2 dbacks Melvin needs to be fired asap if we get swept by the giants that is just pathatic when were fighting for a playoff spot