D-Backs and Pirates Series Thread

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score

I feel bad for Diamondbacks fans. There are bad teams, and hopeless teams, and teams that do morally reprehensible things, and for each, there are fans who think that flying the flag means unquestioning loyalty. They back up whatever logically or morally indefensible thing the team does, because they think that a criticism of the team is also a criticism of its fans.

I can’t imagine what it’s like to be such a person and root for the Diamondbacks. It’s got to be a Disneyland of cognitive dissonance. But any obstacle can be overcome with enough practice, and the Diamondbacks have certainly given their fans plenty of that.

There was the time owner Ken Kendrick went on talk radio in 2012 and took a big ol’ dump on two of his best players. Justin Upton got a public earful for failing to follow up an MVP-quality 2011 campaign, while Stephen Drew got reamed for taking too long, in Kendrick’s mind, to come back from one of the most gruesome injuries in team history. (Because when you essentially have your foot torn off at the ankle, the real authority on when you ought to return is a 69-year-old computer software impresario.) Drew and Upton were both duly traded, as were Chris Young and Trevor Bauer, and the Diamondbacks recast themselves as a team that sought out grit over talent. Of course, when baseball people talk about grit and intangibles, they often mean something else. But I’m not in Kendrick’s head, or GM Kevin Towers’s head, or manager Kirk Gibson’s head, so I won’t assume that if they ran the Carolina Panthers, they’d move Cam Newton to wide receiver.

whoa

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Welcome to the

Disneyland of

Cognitive Dissonance!​

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What do you think the guy means by:

When baseball people talk about grit and intangibles, they often mean something else?

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score

When baseball people talk about grit and intangibles, they often mean something else?

An overt lack of talent that can be relied upon to deliver consistent winning.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score

Maybe that statements about those things are meant to be subtle racism, but the Diamondbacks can't even get that right?

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dayn Perry ‏@daynperry 3m
It'd be one thing if the "us against the world/d*ck-measuring" ethos was working for them, but the D-backs are both unlikable AND terrible.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Who was that guy that used to do flips when he threw to the plate from the outfield? Maybe they should bring him back. I think he was likeable for a while.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Business Insider is the latest to pile on.

Latest Incident Shows Why The Diamondbacks Are Considered The Dirtiest Team In Baseball

"Former Diamondbacks manager Bob Melvin was a well-known enforcer of baseball's idiotic "unwritten rules"and things have changed very little with the team since Kirk Gibson took over in 2010. This is why many consider the Diamondbacks the dirtiest team in baseball."

http://www.businessinsider.com/andrew-mccutchen-diamondbacks-dirtiest-team-baseball-2014-8

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dayn Perry ‏@daynperry 3m
It'd be one thing if the "us against the world/d*ck-measuring" ethos was working for them, but the D-backs are both unlikable AND terrible.

Who cares what a Stl Cardinal fan thinks?

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score

It's comical to watch media dudes point to player decisions, as well as suggest "things" in ways to attack the team, when what is really at hand is their disdain for ownership, management and leadership...
Dumping Upton, Drew, Chris Young and Bauer are hardly the reasons why this team is as bad as it is. And, IMHO, players like Goldy, Hill, Miggy, Inciarte, Perralta Anderson and a few others are fun to watch. The guys I didn't enjoy watching, like Prado and Parra, were sent packing...

I get the angst with Ownership & Management/Leadership. The results speak for themselves... But it's laughable that the situation with Cutch being being beaned has given rise to all of this rhetoric.
What isn't laughable is the potential insinuation of racism. And on that note, while Latin players are prolific throughout the majors, it is "intriguing" at minimum, to see the Dbacks fill their roster with only Latin and Caucasian players. Of course, not sure what the right quota of black players would be in order to pacify the media.

As I have stated many times over the past month or two, the team needs a complete turnover, starting with KT on down throughout the Manager and coaches.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like I said, it's beyond laughable to see media dudes toss this crap around...
I wonder if they would be saying this stuff today had Cutch been hit in his first at-bat?

Ya, beyond laughable. Reaching sad on the spectrum.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score

Yea... the state of our media these days. Take the easy road and simply co-opt what has already been written. Never mind facts and reality.. it's always easy to pick on the most vulnerable...

Meanwhile, you don't hear players or coaches saying anything negative about it. There was no brawl after the Cutch beaning... Why? Because Pitt knew it was deserved and in accordance with the way the game has been played for the past 50 years or more...

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea... the state of our media these days. Take the easy road and simply co-opt what has already been written. Never mind facts and reality.. it's always easy to pick on the most vulnerable...

Meanwhile, you don't hear players or coaches saying anything negative about it. There was no brawl after the Cutch beaning... Why? Because Pitt knew it was deserved and in accordance with the way the game has been played for the past 50 years or more...

And not a single one bothers to mention that Pittsburg leads the league in hitting batters by a wide margin, or that Pittsburg broke Aaron Hill's hand last year.

And they point to hitting Lyin Braun earlier this year. IMO, Braun should be drilled in the head every time he faces the Dbacks. These "writers" are lazy and moronic

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
And not a single one bothers to mention that Pittsburg leads the league in hitting batters by a wide margin, or that Pittsburg broke Aaron Hill's hand last year.

And they point to hitting Lyin Braun earlier this year. IMO, Braun should be drilled in the head every time he faces the Dbacks. These "writers" are lazy and moronic

:thumbup:

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think Pitt didnt start a brawl because they have far more at stake than the Diamondbacks. They're trying to win a division, while we're... who the hell knows what we're doing. Embarrassing ourselves is the only thing that comes to mind.

It goes beyond just "retaliating" over an accidental HBP, the way the franchise calls people out on air, drags its own players through the mud, then slops even more mud on them post trade, while at the same time gushing over their own brilliance in press conferences. It really is embarrassing. This is a team that made a public stink and fired a pitching coach because we didnt get enough revenge beanings in last season... a season in which D-Backs got plunked 43 times and we hit opposing hitters 60 times. The public thrashing the National media is giving the franchise is well deserved.

I know a lot of the homers on the board are going to dismiss that as more of my "biased" banter, but I dont talk this way about other teams I root for, and I didnt used to talk this way about the Diamondbacks.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Thought this would be an appropriate place to make reference to this bit of irony that of course many here and the media choose to "forget": mlb.mlb.com/news/article/pit/justin-wilson-clint-hurdle-ejected-after-lefty-hits-dodgers-justin-turner?ymd=20140722&content_id=85799010&vkey=news_pit

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison