AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Goldy off the bench?

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Goldy taking a day off and Trumbo is still in left, makes no sense.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Goldy taking a day off and Trumbo is still in left, makes no sense.
Goldy's average had fallen to .300 and he needed a break. But Steve said that Goldy was something like 7-15 against today's Pirates starter.

Later they played a portion of Gibson's mumbling Press conference in which he said he was going to rest Goldy no matter how many hits he got in the previous game. Can you say, "Stubborn"?

Damn, I can't stand Kirk Gibson! If he is still around at the beginning of Spring Training, I'm going to ... I'm going to ... I'm going to ... keep griping about his incompetence. :mad:

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Goldy's average had fallen to .300 and he needed a break. But Steve said that Goldy was something like 7-15 against today's Pirates starter.

Later they played a portion of Gibson's mumbling Press conference in which he said he was going to rest Goldy no matter how many hits he got in the previous game. Can you say, "Stubborn"?

Damn, I can't stand Kirk Gibson! If he is still around at the beginning of Spring Training, I'm going to ... I'm going to ... I'm going to ... keep griping about his incompetence. :mad:

I am not objecting Goldy skipping a game, I am wondering why Trumbo is not playing first? He played first for the Angels, not left field.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Goldy put on the 15-day disabled list with a fracture hand.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Goldy's got a broken hand???

I'm sorry but I can't watch this crap anymore. They have no talent and they are not fun to watch.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

OP
OP
AZ Native

AZ Native

Reaction score
It was interesting watching this unfold. Gibson put Goldy (double switch) as a defensive replacement in the top of the 9th because the game was tied at 4 and Goldy would bat 2nd in the bottom of the 9th. I thought that was a solid move at the time and it made perfect sense according to the "book".

Unfortunately, the Bucs scored 5 runs in the top of the 9th and lead 9-4. With one out in the bottom of the 9th Goldy came up to bat. At that point, it made perfect sense to me. However, he was hit on the left hand and it was later determined to be a fractured left hand.

Now Gibson is being second guessed for playing Goldy at all, for letting him bat in the 9th when we were down by 5, and for not seeing this coming.

Hindsight is 20-20. Should Gibson have pinch hit for Goldy in the 9th, basically conceding the game? I'm not sure I've ever seen that happen.

I chalk it up to bad luck on our part.

I honestly don't believe Frieri was trying to hit Goldy in that scenario, IMHO.

OP
OP
AZ Native

AZ Native

Reaction score
Miss Goldy already. :sad:
You must be registered for see images attach

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
It was interesting watching this unfold. Gibson put Goldy (double switch) as a defensive replacement in the top of the 9th because the game was tied at 4 and Goldy would bat 2nd in the bottom of the 9th. I thought that was a solid move at the time and it made perfect sense according to the "book".

Unfortunately, the Bucs scored 5 runs in the top of the 9th and lead 9-4. With one out in the bottom of the 9th Goldy came up to bat. At that point, it made perfect sense to me. However, he was hit on the left hand and it was later determined to be a fractured left hand.

Now Gibson is being second guessed for playing Goldy at all, for letting him bat in the 9th when we were down by 5, and for not seeing this coming.

Hindsight is 20-20. Should Gibson have pinch hit for Goldy in the 9th, basically conceding the game? I'm not sure I've ever seen that happen.

I chalk it up to bad luck on our part.

I honestly don't believe Frieri was trying to hit Goldy in that scenario, IMHO.

Gibson conceded when he left that reliever out there to dry.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Time to hit mccutchen

Better off hitting Harrison, given the way both of them have been playing lately.

Pittsburgh would like them to hit Alvarez, though.

OP
OP
AZ Native

AZ Native

Reaction score
I don't know anyone who thinks Goldy was purposely hit when there was 1 out in the ninth with a 5 run lead. Obviously, the ball got away from him. Did you see Goldy's response? Pure class. Meanwhile the Bucs are destroying us for the 2nd night in row while we gloat. Goldy is the man.

Cutch is still playing and I just heard Goldy may be out 6-8 weeks. OUCH!

Last edited:

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Bottom of the ninth is going to be interesting.

Do you think Goldschmidt was hit intentionally?

Mccutchen is a prima donna, so I assume he'd expect his team to back him up. (Even tho we did that to back our guy up)

I don't think Goldy was hit on purpose.. I didn't see anything earlier in the game to spark the beaming..

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Mccutchen is a prima donna, so I assume he'd expect his team to back him up. (Even tho we did that to back our guy up)

I don't think Goldy was hit on purpose.. I didn't see anything earlier in the game to spark the beaming..

Disagree about McCutchen's reputation, but agree that Goldschmidt wasn't hit on purpose.

The strange part is that if the Diamondbacks were upset about what happened on Friday, why do they wait until the very end of Saturday's game to do something about it?

OP
OP
AZ Native

AZ Native

Reaction score
Disagree about McCutchen's reputation, but agree that Goldschmidt wasn't hit on purpose.

The strange part is that if the Diamondbacks were upset about what happened on Friday, why do they wait until the very end of Saturday's game to do something about it?

My guess is Anderson was pitching a good game and at that point we were going for the win first. When that changed, well...

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
David Peralta, our second best hitter, covered well in the #3 spot for Goldy with three RBI's, although two came in the 9th. It looks like Goldy is gone for the rest of the season.

Not one other D-back had an RBI. Miggy and Trumbo in the #4 and #5 spots were our only two position players to go hitless.

Gibson has been wearing down Ziegler and Delgado. It showed tonight.

OP
OP
AZ Native

AZ Native

Reaction score
David Peralta, our second best hitter, covered well in the #3 spot for Goldy with three RBI's, although two came in the 9th. It looks like Goldy is gone for the rest of the season.

Not one other D-back had an RBI. Miggy and Trumbo in the #4 and #5 spots were our only two position players to go hitless.

Gibson has been wearing down Ziegler and Delgado. It showed tonight.

So what you're saying is "if you think it has been bad so far, just wait".

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
So what you're saying is "if you think it has been bad so far, just wait".
Especially with the bullpen. Even with Addison Reed having improved.

I hope the regime builds confidence in all the new position players we have. The standings mean nothing for the rest of this season, especially with the loss of Goldy.

I would hope that Tony La Russa is watching to make sure that no one in the Front Office or on the coaching staff would make any short-sighted decisions to win a few games more and save their butts.