Crockpot Jambalaya

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trying a 5 star rated recipe from the internet today - stoked to go home to some jambalaya:)

Any cajun fans needing new crockpot recpies? will report back on how it went.

PRetty simple recipe,

Beef stock
can whole tomato
3 oz tomato paste
basil
parsley
oregano
garlic
andoille sausage and chicken (I dont like seafood)
franks red hot
celery
bell pepper
onion

some other stuff too.

8 hours in the pot, add rice when done.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.food.com/recipe/jambalaya-for-the-crock-pot-41705?layout=desktop

I used 4tsp franks red hot instead of 1tsp Tabasco – still wasn’t very hot, likely do more next time.

Cooked the rice with 1 cup beef stock one cup water.

I may do diced vs whole tomato next time or maybe even fire roasted tomato as mulli suggested.

1/3 cup tomato paste is 2-3 oz (half a small can)

Did one LB andoille sausage at beginning with chicken vs adding shrimp at the end (I dont eat fish)

Verdict: It was the bomb. My house smelled like baby kays cajun kitchen when I cam home! Chicken was kinda dry (always seems to be in crock pots). After iot sat for a while adn I had seconds, the chicken seemed to be a little more moist.

I do think you could easily do this in a pot in far less time also or if anything, add the chicken for only 4 hours or add it with the rice when done via a pan fry or something vs having it in the crockpot.

I do recommend this recipe.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ooh nice. What about pork shoulder or something instead of chicken? Costco should have fire roasted tomats if you want.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah fire roasted are everywhere :) might use rotel with habenero next time too. You could do pork shoulder but that is a lot of meat for a jumbalaya. you want the meat distributed and chopped throughout the meal, dont think it would work with a giant hunk of meat in the middle.

Eating it again now and the rice is a little soft for my preference, next time I will sautee the rice before boiling it, see if its not so mushy.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn