Im getting my own place!

OP
OP
schutd

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Im serving mine with a slice of slow cooked heart... Opening party last MOnday, and did a faux service last night for 100. IM effin exhausted. Have another faux tonight, then open for business manana...

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im serving mine with a slice of slow cooked heart... Opening party last MOnday, and did a faux service last night for 100. IM effin exhausted. Have another faux tonight, then open for business manana...
Good luck & Congrats!!!!!

OP
OP
schutd

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Holy CRAP. Just finished a 99 hour week. Opening weekend went fantastic. We were packed from open to close and even did a brisk run for Mothers day. The press clips are racheting up. Im very excited. Ive also worked myself sick. And theres no days off in sight. Today we're closed for finishing remodel touches, but while everyone else has the day off, Im in here getting caught up on production cooking. We sold so much food, Im behind the 8 ball to be ready for tomorrow. Had to come in. Booooo.

Thanks for the well wishes guys!

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sucks to be so successful?? :thumbup: I hope you're able to catch some rest. Congrats on the great opening!

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Heres my first ever, legit review as a chef. And in the over a million circulation Times, I might add. Most excellent, some not as good. But Im very excited about it...

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/21/dining/21briefs.html?em&ex=1211515200&en=bb4e80d4ff6a2eea&ei=5087

Sounds like you know your stuff Dave, congrats. A few tweaks to the menu and your place will have some real legs. BTW, have heard quite a bit about how good slow cooked pork shoulder is...any easy recipes for it?

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
slow cooked pork shoulder is usually the pulled pork you would get at a bbq place - you would need the ability to cook it low and slow - in the 225-240 range for a solid 12+ hours - that's just my backyard experience though

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Congrats. Next time I am in New York(born there with family in NY & NJ), I will come by and have dinner.

Gizmo Williams

Registered
Reaction score
How did it go on finding the Hatch Green Chiles? Did the supplier come through? If it is still an outstanding issue...let me know. I still know a number of people in the area...so I could play Six Degress of Green Chile Growers and come up with some contacts.

OP
OP
schutd

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Still an outstanding issue. Im making right now with regular old anaheim chilies, though in recent batches, the chilies are finally starting to get some heat. The first few batches tasted great, but had little punch. Ive spoken with two different farmers, but havent commited to anyone and still have details to work out. Ill need to source between 30 and 50 lbs per week if my sales keep rolling the way they have been. I have however started seeing an increase in sales of green chili. It started slow, but last week was my number 2 seller next to , of course, the Cabrito.

Thanks for the offer, any and all help appreciated.

on a side note, we got another decent review in bloomberg this week, however he slagged a dish that is one of my favorites, the beef rib. I couldnt understand why, and then I realized, I hadnt actually eaten one in weeks. His harsh criticism was right on point. Damn. Sucks to find out that youve been sucking at something for awhile and not even known it. Lesson learned. I get to spend today re training people how to cook beef ribs, and I am even trying the dish with short ribs instead of spare, but I feel like short ribs have been done to death. Im trying to avoid them, but if teyre that much better, its hard to deny them...

Good to check in and hear from everyone. Hope you all are well.

Our Carne Enchilada Cemita will be featured in an upcoming edition of sandwich of the week in the NY Daily News with one of my recipes printed, so Ill let you all know when that happens...

With regard to slow cooking pork shoulders ( im going through more than 10 a week right now) Ill discuss this further when I have time to come up for air. Brunch starts this weekend. I'm weeded again!

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm so glad things are going well for you, Schutd. That's really awesome. I'm sorry you had to find out the hard way about the ribs, though.

Louis

DJ Roomba
Reaction score
Winning Friends and Influencing the People in My H
Can't wait to have a Cabrito with A1 sauce on it.

In the meantime. Good luck.

*EDIT*

Pretty good review for starting out of the gate. Sounds like you have good reputation there.

Restaurant sounds exactly what I'd be looking for in food.

Congrats.

Last edited:

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jerk! Didnt even know you were coming. Well, next time indeed. We're not going anywhere any time soon...
We ate at a couple of other excellent places in NYC. Lemme know if you want to hear about them. :)

Stronso

Schweddy Balls
Reaction score
I will be swinging by your place in the next week or so - can't wait!

OP
OP
schutd

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Glad to hear it! Im actually leaving for 10 days starting this thursday. Going to Alaska. Not the best timing in the world, but this trip was booked and paid for when Cabrito was just a glimmer in my eye. My sous chef Bob will take excellent care of you... Or, wait until after the 23rd. We open for lunch starting the 30th. And we currently now do brunch. Dont worry, heu, the enchiladas are on there!!

OP
OP
schutd

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
UPDATES: Got another glowing review from well respected food blogger Andrea Strong on her String Buzz website. Got hammered a bit by a dude from the NY Sun (that no one reads) who generally is a bit more conservative in his likes, so take that for what its worth...

Just got back from vacation. The DAY. Literally the day I leave, my sous chef (whos in charge in my absence, drops a hernia and has to have emergency surgery that day. Same day, my lead line cook shows up, promptly pukes all over the basement and gets carted out in an ambulence. MY old chef comes in, and runs this place (not knowing even where we keep the salt) while IM gone and a couple other chef friends toss in a shift or two here and there while I'm looking at brown bears from a 1957 Cessna above Icy Straights Point Alaska from 500 feet. This is a crazy ass business.

We made it. Now its into the summer slow down season, and paperwork chef groove.

Come see us!

Last edited:

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
UPDATES: Got anther glowing revies from well respected food blogger Andrea Strong on her String Buzz website. Got hammered a bit by a dude from the NY Sun (that no one reads) who generally is a bit more conservative in his likes, so take that for what its worth...

Just got back from vacation. The DAY. Literally the day I leave, my sous chef (whos in charge in my absence, drops a hernia and has to have emergency surgery that day. Same day, my lead line cook shows up, promptly pukes all over the basement and gets carted out in an ambulence. MY old chef comes in, and runs this place (not knowing even where we keep the salt) while IM gone and a couple other chef friends toss in a shift or two here and there while I'm looking at brown bears from a 1957 Cessna above Icy Straights Point Alaska from 500 feet. This is a crazy ass business.

We made it. Now its into the summer slow down season, and paperwork chef groove.

Come see us!
Can you PM me how to get to your restaurant from the upper west side? Man, that sounds like a cook trip.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard