CP3 vs Rubio

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
OKC last season was 6-11 to start the year and ended up as the 5th seed in the playoffs. I feel like inserting a player of CP3’s stature is an adjustment as evidenced by how long it took for him to build chemistry with Ayton on the floor.

There’s no question that CP3 is the better player between him and Rubio. I get the frustration, but with a disjointed offseason and no opportunity to build rapport with the team, this is the best we have. I’m not concerned.

Yep. Chemistry still a work in progress with DA and CP3, but they’re very close

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JC, a lot of people were saying the trade was a big upgrade at the time. That ain't hindsight.

Yeah, even some of us that weren't Chris Paul fans and were solidly against the trade saw it as an upgrade assuming good health for Paul. I don't know that any of us expected to see Rubio and Oubre play so horribly though so maybe that's the hindsight he's talking about.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah, even some of us that weren't Chris Paul fans and were solidly against the trade saw it as an upgrade assuming good health for Paul. I don't know that any of us expected to see Rubio and Oubre play so horribly though so maybe that's the hindsight he's talking about.

Paul has really rounded into form the past 6-7 games, which a lot of posters predicted. I think if Rubio were here though he'd be putting up numbers similar to last season. He's coming off the bench in Minnesota and unlike playing alongside Booker he's playing with 2 ball dominant combo guards in D'Lo and Anthony Edwards. Booker needs the ball in his hands but not like those 2, especially D'Lo who has played PG the majority if his career. They've been playing without KAT also which changes the whole look of the Wolves offense. Rubio's scoring about half of what he did here, 5.9 ppg and 5.7 assists a game in 23 minutes. He averaged 13 and 8 in 32 minutes here. So his stats are down but he hasn't fallen off like Oubre has. I'd love to have Ricky back as a backup to Paul but that's just being greedy.

Oubre's production has been awful. His shooting is way off, his defense sucks, and he hasn't even been an effective decoy since he's been so terrible this season. He's shooting 37% from the field compared to 45% last year and he's only getting 12 points a game compared to 18. His minutes are down but that has to do with his production more than anything since he's still starting there. He's playing 27 minutes compared to 35 here. He's really off. I think not having a crowd was an issue for him since he's such a high energy guy who plays off the crowd but I think there is a lot more going on. He should have adjusted by now.

Last edited:

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Here are Rubio and Oubre's stats this year compared to last year with the Suns.

Ricky's numbers....
You must be registered for see images attach

Kelly's...

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here are Rubio and Oubre's stats this year compared to last year with the Suns.

Ricky's numbers....

Kelly's...

This is not the way I look at it. The Suns were not going to keep Oubre, that part became obviously clear.

If the Suns had kept Rubio they would have been forced to draft Haliburton, keeping Payne, then using a trade exception in an Oubre trade for a power forward.

Paul has exceeded expectations thus far but the above isn't a shabby option. It could have been the best long term.

OP
OP
itlnsunsfan

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This is not the way I look at it. The Suns were not going to keep Oubre, that part became obviously clear.

If the Suns had kept Rubio they would have been forced to draft Haliburton, keeping Payne, then using a trade exception in an Oubre trade for a power forward.

Paul has exceeded expectations thus far but the above isn't a shabby option. It could have been the best long term.

Shouldve taken Halliburton anyway. Seemed like a no-brainer to me.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shouldve taken Halliburton anyway. Seemed like a no-brainer to me.

It should have been Haliburton at #10. Suns passed on BPA. There may have been reasons floated not to draft him but I think one has to call the bluff.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I thought he was referring to the proposed Oubre and #10 pick for the #2 pick deal. I will absolutely give credit to those who were in favor or the CP3 trade. I do think Rubio would be producing much better here than what he is doing where he is now, and it would be interesting to see what we could have gotten for Oubre elsewhere. CP3 is producing about how I thought he would overall, the last two games would be the exception. Again, my concern is about injuries and career trajectory. That will take some time to assess. I would not have done the trade at the time, but I was also not disheartened by it.

CP3 is a different type of pg than I am used to on the Suns. I am used to the guys who push the ball constantly like Kidd and Nash did. Paul plays chess. His midrange game is quite impressive.

notdeadyet

Reaction score
I read somewhere OKC did not want to give us Nader in the trade, but our front office insisted we wanted him. He looks like a guy with a ton of potential...

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard