Coyotes vs Kings round 3 2012 Western Conference Finals

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
This series is not over.

Love your optimism, bro, but I see nothing that indicates we have a chance at winning this series. Too many ill-timed penalties, inability to pass, out hustled, and can't keep the puck out of our zone.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Love your optimism, bro, but I see nothing that indicates we have a chance at winning this series. Too many ill-timed penalties, inability to pass, out hustled, and can't keep the puck out of our zone.

A change of scenery is what this team needs. Just win game three and the Kings could start feeling the pressure. I know it looks bleak but the Flyers came back down 3-0, so it's never over.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Worst officiating I've seen in a very long time. Laker Rules are definitely in effect. Can't wait to see Doan's 25 game suspension.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
definitely a poorly officiated game ..... they lost control of this one early and had zero pulse for the action

the doan call was horrible - however, it should never have gotten to that point

the 1st period they let a lot of borderline play go ........ then they allowed for the constant crashing into smith after the whistle ...... guys were grabbing at his head, throwing their forearms into him, etc

then that sets the stage for the 2nd ....... coyotes down 2 goals and on the PP ...... about halfway through the period and I don't know how they missed that call at center ice ... should have been a 5-3 advantage

however, it wasn't

play goes back to the other end ... again another round smack the goalie by the kings, they coyotes respond as they should (because the refs sure as hell can't protect the players) and the coyotes end up short handed after the kings initiated the whole thing ........ that was nuts, at worst it should have been even up

it was on that PK where doan picked up his own horrible call

brown thought the whole thing was pretty funny and you could see him skating around laughing & chirping ......... so smith gave him a pretty cheap smack to the legs and the refs at that point must have realized that they were screwing the pooch on game management as the embellishment call was horrible as well

from there the whole thing spirals out of control

they miss brown doing a flying forearm into morris who then goes out of his way with a pretty bad kneeing penalty

the vermette call was kind of dopey as well and how richards escapes all of that again is beyond me

I don't think we'll see many suspensions coming from this ......... missing half a playoff game, being a man down for the entire game, the 5 minute major and whatever fine will be handed out is more than enough punishment for the doan hit

I think smith gets a fine - but hopefully got his point across as well and the refs start to crack down on some of that or open it up and let the punches fly in the paint

nothing should come of the vermette incident

that leaves hanzal .... i think he gets at least a game if not 3

gamblinjonny

Reaction score
I honestly need to move away from L.A. The amount of **** I'm getting from Kings and Lakers fans these days is unbearable.

I know the feeling. I lived just north of you in Redondo Beach, in the 80's, and I got crap from the Laker fans then, because the Suns could never get past the Lakers. But, I got revenge when ASU beat USC and UCLA, at their stadiums, on their way to the Rose Bowl, I let them have it for awhile.

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
ok.. so the series is NOT over.. that said game 3 is a must win, and game 4 is as much as a must win as game 2 was...

sucks to be down 2-0, but if, and again this is a HUUGE if, we can get game 3 in LA, the series momentum could very well swing and then if we can steal game 4 we grab home ice back and is the best of 3..

not a great situation to be in at the moment, but I do not think we are done by any means..

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Was at the game last night and here are my observations:

- While I have no doubt they are trying as hard as they can, the reality is that it appears that the Yotes have actually given up. Again, I know that's not the case, so it must be that the Kings are forcing it to appear this way... how?

- Well, the Kings are clearly more energetic - getting to all loose pucks and creating plays all over the ice. It's bad enough that they are carpet bombing Smith to the extent they are, BUT - virtually everyone one of those shots is a beautifully set-up, high-quality shot. Compared to the very few scoring chances the Yotes had which were awkward, almost accidental chances...

- The Kings seem to possess more team speed. They are out-skating the Yotes on every line and player vs player.

- The Kings seem to possess a better understood game-plan. It's like watching a well orchestrated theatrical performance vs the bad news bears... as the Yotes literally can't gain any momentum, can't create any quality rushes or scoring chances, and can't keep the puck out of Smith's grill.

The worst was when the Yotes had back to back power plays early in the 3rd period. On the first power play, they embarrassingly achieved NO shots on goal!! If you didn't know there was a power play you would swear the teams were playing equal strength. The very next power play they were able to achieve ONE shot on goal. Yes - one shot over two consecutive power plays... It was some of the most brutal brand of hockey I have seen in a long long time.

IMHO, the Yotes look gassed - both physically and mentally. They were never the most talented team on the ice, so their success depended on near-perfect execution and Smith standing on his head. Well, that has all come crashing down to earth now and the Kings are exposing them. I think it's a virtual impossibility for the Yotes to somehow turn this around... bummer... :sad:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if ouchie and i paid a ton of money just to watch us get swept on sunday, I'm gonna be one unhappy slice of cheese.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
it's no secret what is driving the kings success right now - a lot of coach sutter taking what he does to a talented team that fits his blueprint perfectly

big blueline players able to take a ton of minutes - check

big goalie - check

good skating & speed - check

players that work in the dirty areas to free themselves - check

It's the same thing he had in SJ and Calgary - his teams have always been a tough out and when he has enough talent to field 4 lines that are willing to work & grind with just enough offensive talent across the lines they are dangerous

This team started to peak towards the end of the season and the matchups have been pretty good for them

They will cycle, grind, backcheck and just eat up offensive zone possession - to deal with a team like this you need to be able to intelligently play the puck and advance it, keep them on the outside and away from the corners and establish offensive zone time of your own to wear them down

Very difficult matchup for the coyotes - they do a good job at playing defense and keeping stuff to the outside - however, the kings are doing a great job at winning puck battles and getting to space .... they are just better positioned and faster to the spot

the long shots are turning into possession closer to the goal where they can grind it out and setup shots from those tough places with people in front of the net

just like the coyotes it's not a system that fits every type of player - however, when its working and you have full buy in it can be pretty tough to break

I'm not sure if the coyotes have the type of team that has the skill to do it ...... just a tough matchup

moosehead

All Star
Reaction score
I grew up in New Jersey and watched the Islanders during their dominant years and Billy Smith was one of the dirtiest goalies. Mike Smith looks like an angel compared to Billy.

Was listening to the game on the radio and when (our) Smith got called - I immediately remembered watching Billy Smith growing up. That guy was something else.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well the Shanahan Wheel of Justice landed on one game for Hanzal. And the league decision on Doan proves that the boarding call was an absolute farce, as he would have been suspended as a "repeat offender" in the NHL's eyes, had he actually boarded anybody.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Well the Shanahan Wheel of Justice landed on one game for Hanzal. And the league decision on Doan proves that the boarding call was an absolute farce, as he would have been suspended as a "repeat offender" in the NHL's eyes, had he actually boarded anybody.

Yea... but, even the Hanzal suspension is highly suspect.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
No it isn't ..... He actual is lucky he got the playoff discount ...... Text book boarding there ...... Completely unnecessary play

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
No it isn't ..... He actual is lucky he got the playoff discount ...... Text book boarding there ...... Completely unnecessary play

Disgaree... they were both going for the puck. It was a hard hit for sure, but not worthy of suspension. Last I checked, this is the NHL, not figure skating...

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
I'm sorry but that is just a stupid statement .... Boarding is a penalty defined in the rules and treated by rule as a major offense ..... this was a great example of that penalty

He had a long time to see that he was going to hit him in the back ..... From the top of three face off circle to the point of contact he could see name and number ..... He made no effort to reach three puck ..... He ramped up and drilled him square in the numbers ..... He had no chance of winning a race to the puck

The penalty was textbook and had no place in hockey ..... there really isn't any debate on this one it's so obvious

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I'm sorry but that is just a stupid statement .... Boarding is a penalty defined in the rules and treated by rule as a major offense ..... this was a great example of that penalty

He had a long time to see that he was going to hit him in the back ..... From the top of three face off circle to the point of contact he could see name and number ..... He made no effort to reach three puck ..... He ramped up and drilled him square in the numbers ..... He had no chance of winning a race to the puck

The penalty was textbook and had no place in hockey ..... there really isn't any debate on this one it's so obvious

Never said it wasn't a penalty. He did receive a 5 minute major. And I disagree with the rest of your post. Was there. Saw it with my own eyes. Definitely not worthy of a suspension...

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Never said it wasn't a penalty. He did receive a 5 minute major. And I disagree with the rest of your post. Was there. Saw it with my own eyes. Definitely not worthy of a suspension...

Definitely, 100% deserved the suspension. It was a dangerous play on Hanzel's part.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score

And a misconduct. I seem to recall similar hits to Klesla and Rozy in earlier rounds that didn't warrant further discipline. I would just like consistency at some point.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
very dangerous - you don't take a guy 3 feet from the boards, put your hands between the name and numbers and shove them face first into the boards

it's cheap and if reversed everyone on this site would be clamoring for a suspension

i know it gets emotional in the building and maybe that is clouding you - but definitely the type of hit that needs to be removed .... not a "hockey" play and nothing positive can come from them

it wasn't a hit he needed to make, it wasn't a hit he couldn't of avoided, it wasn't at all related to what the "proper" strategic play in that situation would be .... it was just an unnecessary cheap hit and the suspension was wel earned

that play was pretty clear both in the action and discipline ..... unlike some of the other stuff in that game - which is why people will talk about the other calls and not the hanzal call & suspension which is very cut & dry

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
very dangerous - you don't take a guy 3 feet from the boards, put your hands between the name and numbers and shove them face first into the boards

Of course it was dangerous... it's the NHL! These are big, strong men on skates who can move like the wind... so yea - the game is a very dangerous game.

it's cheap and if reversed everyone on this site would be clamoring for a suspension

i know it gets emotional in the building and maybe that is clouding you - but definitely the type of hit that needs to be removed .... not a "hockey" play and nothing positive can come from them

it wasn't a hit he needed to make, it wasn't a hit he couldn't of avoided, it wasn't at all related to what the "proper" strategic play in that situation would be .... it was just an unnecessary cheap hit and the suspension was wel earned

that play was pretty clear both in the action and discipline ..... unlike some of the other stuff in that game - which is why people will talk about the other calls and not the hanzal call & suspension which is very cut & dry

The 5 minute major and game misconduct was sufficient. Take a closer look at the hit and you'll see that Brown actually attempted to stop himself well before hitting the boards and well before Hanzal hit him. This gave Hanzal very little, if any, reaction time as he was flying to the puck as was Brown. At that speed and given how close they were to the boards, a collission was inevitable... Could Hanzal have at elast made an effort to lessen the blow? Of course... and had he done so, he might not have received the 5 minute major and misconduct. However, I can totally see how this hit transpired due to Brown's own actions... And, I have seen far worse hits that didn't garner a suspension.

I'm entirely convinced that the league got this wrong.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
complete BS

just blowing it off as saying "it's hockey it's dangerous" is a bad position

would you condone smacking someone in the head with their stick? - after all it's dangerous

or how about football ... if a guy is 3 steps out of bounds and gets blown up there shouldn't be any review because football is simply dangerous

there is a difference between the danger within the context of the sport and events that are malicious and unnecessary

this was definitely the later

of course brown slowed up ... he wasn't going to crash himself into the boards or overskate the puck ... he actually was following the play

hanzal should never have taken that angle to begin with and even once he committed to it missing contact would have been simple if he wanted to - he didn't

he had it in his mind he was going to drill him because he thought the opportunity would present itself ... when it didn't he did it anyway

to blame this on brown is ridiculous .... regardless if other hits got a suspension or not is irrelevant to this play

just because something else should have also been disciplined doesn't change the dynamic of this play ... the NHL is a little off on how they dole things out ... just because they have gotten it wrong in the past doesn't mean they didn't get it exactly right here

and they did get it exactly right

if you want to be the lone man in the forest screaming about injustice - go for it .... just understand how it makes you look