Coyotes vs Blackhawks round one 2012 playoffs

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Told ya all they liked playing in Chicago :)

At some point this has really got to be to demoralizing for the Hawks. They've got to be thinking, "What do we have to do to win a game??"

As frustrating as it is for Yotes fans, it has to be much worse for Hawks fans. To have so much excitement at the end only to lose in OT..

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Told ya all they liked playing in Chicago :)

At some point this has really got to be to demoralizing for the Hawks. They've got to be thinking, "What do we have to do to win a game??"

As frustrating as it is for Yotes fans, it has to be much worse for Hawks fans. To have so much excitement at the end only to lose in OT..

If there's one team I've ever followed that I know will not give up, it's this one. Those end-of-regulation goals are crushing to watch, but you know this team won't quit.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm so happy for him. He's taken huge steps forward this year. He's clutch!

He has been up and down this year but he has also come up with some huge goals this year. Also, how about Pyatt? He has been coming up big too.

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If there's one team I've ever followed that I know will not give up, it's this one. Those end-of-regulation goals are crushing to watch, but you know this team won't quit.

Nope. After gm2 there might have been question, but after these two nothing phases them. The focus they have is amazing.

If they finish the Hawks I really think the Blues are the only team that can beat them in 7. But, if they have a lead late like they have this series I don't think the Blues can score like the Hawks in that situation.

We'll see.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
He has been up and down this year but he has also come up with some huge goals this year. Also, how about Pyatt? He has been coming up big too.

Some of those shootout goals he had were amazing.

I'm happy for him because he's been mature about his role and has grown into a key player, not like Wheeler, Turris, and Mueller.

And, yeah, what's gotten into Taylor Pyatt? Good for him, too!

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
I follow all Arizona sports but hockey has been on the back burner for me. But I have to be amazed at what our Yotes are doing. Great game, again!

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
I have to admit that hockey is the most exciting spectator sport to watch in person, for me. It would probably be even better is I understood it. I love watching it in person, just can't make many games. But I envy those of you that can go (and actually understand it).

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
I have to admit that hockey is the most exciting spectator sport to watch in person, for me. It would probably be even better is I understood it. I love watching it in person, just can't make many games. But I envy those of you that can go (and actually understand it).

Growing up in NM, I feel the same way. But even though I don't understand the intricacies of the sport, I still enjoy its version of the playoffs more than almost any other game.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score

Growing up in NM, I feel the same way. But even though I don't understand the intricacies of the sport, I still enjoy its version of the playoffs more than almost any other game.

Maybe we could have a Hockey University thread here, where we can all ask/answer questions about the rules, strategy, random things, etc. Something like an "Everything you wanted to know about hockey, but were afraid to ask" thread.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Maybe we could have a Hockey University thread here, where we can all ask/answer questions about the rules, strategy, random things, etc. Something like an "Everything you wanted to know about hockey, but were afraid to ask" thread.

That would be pretty sweet, actually. All I know is that they want to put a puck in the net, there are certain ways to legally deliver a hit, and the penalty system is the most exciting in sports.

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Hockey 101 terms: http://coyotes.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=32696

Agreed, it's the best sport to watch in person and I think HD tv should really help the tv fans follow the puck better.

The best way to learn hockey is to watch the games, imo. The Yotes have a good broadcast crew and Nash is an excellent color guy. Just like any other sport they explain the penalties and replay them. If you watch enough, you'll catch on and be able to follow the game better.

Icing is something you'll see called ad nausea in a game.

One rule I think is stupid is the game misconduct Bissonete received for losing the jersey. I don't think a player should be ejected for that. Just my .02

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score

I follow all Arizona sports but hockey has been on the back burner for me. But I have to be amazed at what our Yotes are doing. Great game, again!

+1

These last second equalizers are killing me!

I am not much of a hockey fan but anyone paying attention has to love the passion and drive of this team.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
I rarely watch a regular season game, but when the Yotes get into the post season, I can't turn away. Hell, even last night, I had to run around on errands all night and had to listen to the game on the radio. Let me tell you, that is impossibly hard to follow for a newbie like me. Is there a sport less suitable for radio than hockey?

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
Hockey 101 terms: http://coyotes.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=32696

Agreed, it's the best sport to watch in person and I think HD tv should really help the tv fans follow the puck better.

Definitely my favorite live sport and I agree 100% that HD helps tremendously with TV ....... still can't pick up as much as in person, but it does allow them to open up the camera a little bit and follow the play instead of hopelessly trying to follow the puck

that link is good and if anyone has questions this thread is as good as any to ask them ...... can at least cover the basics

a good way to learn basic rules, etc is also video games .... you'll also learn a lot of the players in the league pretty quick ...... plus they are fun

there is a lot of different offensive, defensive and neutral zone strategies

basically on defense you are trying to cut down shooting angles, control how the other team moves the puck and move it out in the neutral zone

in the neutral zone you are either trying to get it into the offensive zone and establish possession or trying to get the other team to turn it over and prevent them from entering

in the offensive zone you want to maintain possession, work for a good angle, make it difficult for the opposing goalie to prepare for or see the puck and put it into the net

there are also times when teams will get it out of the defensive zone and just throw it deep into the offensive zone so they can change the players on the ice ........ you'll see a lot of times a player will hold a puck or send it deep during a line change so the other team can't get possession and make a charge when they are not organized

it's easier to do live, but can definitely be done on HD broadcasts, but I always recommend spending some time just watching a specific aspect

look at how the players around the face off circle move

watch the line changes

focus on the defensive pairing in the offensive zone ... how do they support the play? how do they work to keep the puck in? how do they account for the other teams players that may counter attack? if one jumps deep into the offensive zone near the goal does someone else rotate back to help guard the blue line?

the movement off the puck and the play development can be just as enjoyable and the big crashes in the corners

when you see something develop and anticipate what could be it really adds some drama to the moment

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
For adults who don't really understand the game but like to watch, go with someone who can show you the intricacies of the game. It makes it more enjoyable to watch when you know what is going on during the game. It's amazing that there are many who don't really know about line changes or even what icing is. No matter how much or little knowledge Coyote fans have, the most important thing is to support the team. It will be very devastating if they are not playing in Arizona next year.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Anyone know if Korpikoski will play tonight?

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Last edited:

Brian

PANEM ET CIRCENSES
Reaction score
That may have been the worst 1st period of hockey the Coyotes have played in this series. They need to match the Hawks desperation/intensity.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Coyotes are very lucky to be tied 0-0 at the end of the first period. Sloppy passing and puck handling is not going to get it done. Thankfully they were able to kill a couple of Blackhawk power plays. Wonder if Tippett will lay into the guys during the break?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort