Coyotes vs Blackhawks round one 2012 playoffs

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
i'd be surprised if it's anything less than 4 games

guy has his yearly playoff dirty head shot

I am not familiar with the NHL disciplinary system as well as I would like. Do they take into consideration if there is a pattern or will they rule solely on the hit itself? Will they really look at his behavior in past playoff series to make a determination?

Last edited:

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
Reputation does play a part - even if sometimes they say it doesn't

It's part of the reason why a guy like Weber can only get a fine for grabbing zetterberg by the head and bouncing it off the glass - twice

They also do have "repeat offender" scales - it's part of the reason why Doan received 3 games at the end of the season

I also think the tone of the current playoffs .... yesterday alone they suspended Backstrom a game, shaw 3 games, asham 3 games and neal 1 game

Then that night he goes out and does something blatant and stupid

This may be the NHLs "enough" moment where they look to really slap a guy - and Torres is an easy guy to slap

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Reputation does play a part - even if sometimes they say it doesn't

It's part of the reason why a guy like Weber can only get a fine for grabbing zetterberg by the head and bouncing it off the glass - twice

They also do have "repeat offender" scales - it's part of the reason why Doan received 3 games at the end of the season

I also think the tone of the current playoffs .... yesterday alone they suspended Backstrom a game, shaw 3 games, asham 3 games and neal 1 game

Then that night he goes out and does something blatant and stupid

This may be the NHLs "enough" moment where they look to really slap a guy - and Torres is an easy guy to slap

It'll suck if the NHL tries to overcompensate for its lack of discipline by trying to get it all back against Torres. They created the dirty environment with lack penalties to start and now they are paying for it.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
NEW YORK -- Phoenix Coyotes forward Raffi Torres has been suspended indefinitely, pending an in-person hearing Friday, April 20, the National Hockey League's Department of Player Safety announced today. The hearing, which had been planned for today, was deferred at the request of the player and the National Hockey League Players' Association.

The hearing will be convened at the NHL's New York office for a hit Torres delivered to Chicago forward Marian Hossa 12:42 into the first period of Game 3 of the teams' Western Conference Quarterfinal series in Chicago on Tuesday, April 17.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing they try to get Torres out of this series and the next one. 10 games. The bare minimum will be 5.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
It'll suck if the NHL tries to overcompensate for its lack of discipline by trying to get it all back against Torres. They created the dirty environment with lack penalties to start and now they are paying for it.

I don't necessarily disagree - but Torres deserves every game that he gets

sucks that it's a guy on the coyotes, but it is what it is ..... if someone took a run at one of the coyotes like that we'd all expect the same

the same isn't usually delivered though which is maddening

also fans tend to defend such hits if it's their guy that delivers it

there is a lot in this Hradek article I agree with - including how blackhawk fans are upset now, but were quick to defend keith when he put an elbow to the head of sedin

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=628513

This kind of hypocritical behavior happens in each of the League's 30 cities. You know, when it happens to me, it's the worst thing ever; but when my guy does it, it really isn't so bad. The behind-the-scene lobbying by owners and execs in defense of dangerous and reckless acts by members of their particular team has made it extremely difficult for any League disciplinarian to truly put down the hammer.

SunCityCarl

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Agree MO.. Indefinitely means for a long & deserved time... I'm proud of the Yotes win but was disappointed with the hit. Was there some history with Torres and Hossa that I missed?

wilycoyote24

All Star
Reaction score
I support giving him whatever they want to give him. He is dirty. He has been punished before. He doesn't stop. He put someone's life at risk that wasn't even in the play. Ban him for life.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
I don't necessarily disagree - but Torres deserves every game that he gets

sucks that it's a guy on the coyotes, but it is what it is ..... if someone took a run at one of the coyotes like that we'd all expect the same

the same isn't usually delivered though which is maddening

also fans tend to defend such hits if it's their guy that delivers it

there is a lot in this Hradek article I agree with - including how blackhawk fans are upset now, but were quick to defend keith when he put an elbow to the head of sedin

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=628513

Yeah. He deserves a lengthy suspension, but if they use him to send a message, I will be mad. They should have sent the message a long time ago. Now the Yotes will be facing a penalty not just for this hit, but for all the ones that came before it that the NHL whiffed on. Bummer.

They should just create a metric for doling out punishments:

Hit occurs away from puck - 1 game
Hit to the head - 1 game
Skates leave the ice - 1 game
Use of arms, elbow, stick to deliver the blow - 1 game
etc.

Add up all the various infractions on that play and that is the number of games he gets suspended. At least that will create a little more equity in their punishment system.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
Agree MO.. Indefinitely means for a long & deserved time... I'm proud of the Yotes win but was disappointed with the hit. Was there some history with Torres and Hossa that I missed?

Last years series between Vancouver & Chicago got a bit chippy ...... not sure if Torres mixed it up with Hossa off hand, but he did lay out Seabrook with a cheap head shot ....... this was after he ended the regular season on a 4 game suspension for a head shot to Eberle

There are no shortage of head shots from this guy though - other hits against max pacioretty and milan michalek definitely stand out off hand

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Yeah. He deserves a lengthy suspension, but if they use him to send a message, I will be mad. They should have sent the message a long time ago. Now the Yotes will be facing a penalty not just for this hit, but for all the ones that came before it that the NHL whiffed on. Bummer.

They should just create a metric for doling out punishments:

Hit occurs away from puck - 1 game
Hit to the head - 1 game
Skates leave the ice - 1 game
Use of arms, elbow, stick to deliver the blow - 1 game
etc.

Add up all the various infractions on that play and that is the number of games he gets suspended. At least that will create a little more equity in their punishment system.

Like that! :thumbup:

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I support giving him whatever they want to give him. He is dirty. He has been punished before. He doesn't stop. He put someone's life at risk that wasn't even in the play. Ban him for life.

Hockey is a weird sport when it comes to this stuff. I was reading some stuff Blackhawks fans were posting last night that were right along these same lines. Yet, sometimes in the same post even, many were saying they were behind in the series because they don't have any enforcers ready to hand out punishment. So, they were condemning Torres and then whining they didn't have someone like Torres or Probert to even the score.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

IMO, Hossa was a target for what happened to Smith in game 2.

Brian

PANEM ET CIRCENSES
Reaction score
IMO, Hossa was a target for what happened to Smith in game 2.

And honestly, I'm fine with it. I'm very glad that Hossa is o.k. but as far as I'm concerned, the Hawks started this crap. You NEVER target a goalie. Never.

Had Shaw not gotten suspended, that would've been Shaw taking that hit, not Hossa.

Whatever, eff the Blackhawks and go Yotes!

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
Gotta feeling tonight they're gonna ratchet it up again!!! LETS GO YOTES!!

It's getting close to game time, and all the wimpy "FIBS" around here are crying foul. Seems they forgot how thier guy targeted Smith. I did notice that no one stood up for Hosssa after the hit, that says a lot to me. Does he deserve a suspension absolutely but I didn't see it as egregious it was a bang bang hit the game is very fast by it's nature. If he get up nobody is talking about it.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Crap, looks like another overtime as the Coyotes blow a 2-0 lead and Chicago scores the tying goal with only 1:26 left in the third period.

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Wow, the best series of the PO's continues...
The yotes need to put someone on Smith's blindside and tell him to do nothing but guard that side... Isn't that 3 straight 6-on-5's that they've scored on Smith's blindside?

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Boedker does it again! Oh wow, up 3 games to 1!!!!!!!!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort