Copa America 2015

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I can't be the only one that's excited about watching this right? It starts tomorrow, during a mostly dead time for sports (other than the NBA Finals), with world class players all over the place. BeIN Sports has the rights in the US, but I read you'll be able to watch it through Xbox live and it will be streamed on Youtube? I don't have an xbox so I have no idea how the stream works, but I thought ya'll should know. With a VPN you can also probably get the feed from another country if that's your thing.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't be the only one that's excited about watching this right? It starts tomorrow, during a mostly dead time for sports (other than the NBA Finals), with world class players all over the place. BeIN Sports has the rights in the US, but I read you'll be able to watch it through Xbox live and it will be streamed on Youtube? I don't have an xbox so I have no idea how the stream works, but I thought ya'll should know. With a VPN you can also probably get the feed from another country if that's your thing.

I am excited it will be streamed via Xbox live. Holy cow! Awesome.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I am really looking forward to next years edition...

2016 Copa America Centenario

In fact I would love for that to be our "Euros", a tournament for North, South and Central America. Combine the Gold Cup and Copa America and be done with it permanently. 24 Team tournament, sure it would mean a lot of "minnows" would not be able to participate but is anyone really watching Martinique or Haiti? Plus it is better competition for the US, I'd rather seem them potentially face Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay, Colombia or Ecuador than Jamaica, Trinidad, Canada, Haiti, Cuba etc.

cardfaninfl

Demographically significant
Reaction score
Would love to see an Americas version of the Euros with North, Central and South American countries... including the minnows. I have sometimes watched the European Qualifiers and thought, "Wait, Gibraltar and San Marino are countries?"

OP
OP
SO91

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

In fact I would love for that to be our "Euros", a tournament for North, South and Central America. Combine the Gold Cup and Copa America and be done with it permanently. 24 Team tournament, sure it would mean a lot of "minnows" would not be able to participate but is anyone really watching Martinique or Haiti? Plus it is better competition for the US, I'd rather seem them potentially face Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay, Colombia or Ecuador than Jamaica, Trinidad, Canada, Haiti, Cuba etc.

I am as well, but now with the bribe scandal I read it may be in question, or possibly cancelled.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I am as well, but now with the bribe scandal I read it may be in question, or possibly cancelled.

Unfortunately. :yeahthat:

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Maybe after next year's edition, (if it goes through and it is popular) we will see something like that. One can only hope.

Lorenzo

Reaction score

^^ this would be wonderful

Would just have to figure out a way to give the "minnows" and opportunity to qualify.

I know the last gold cup was lackluster especially with mexico's struggles. with the late emergence of Costa Rica and the vast improvement in the MLS thanks in part to many caribe Country players...The gold cup has a chance to improve still. And I would imagine this edition should be one of the better gold cups ever played. But with the usa getting better and mexico struggling to decide which tournament to send its best team to...the allure of competing in such a tournament would be strong.

Lorenzo

Reaction score

That's the tough part. I honestly feel that is primed to be one of the best copa editions certainly for us American fans. Not that I would expect our team to win it all, but we should be expected to contend.

I honestly can't see it being cancelled outright, but will we concede the tournament as hosts or be stripped of it by FIFA? There is so much in flux.

The tricky part here is we led the way in the FIFA investigations due to the corruption that took place here. So would it be in good taste to go forward as hosts?

That's why I found it ironic to here Putin blast us for attacking his nation because in essence we were identifying something that went on in our country that was likely just standard procedure everywhere.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^ this would be wonderful

Would just have to figure out a way to give the "minnows" and opportunity to qualify.

I know the last gold cup was lackluster especially with mexico's struggles. with the late emergence of Costa Rica and the vast improvement in the MLS thanks in part to many caribe Country players...The gold cup has a chance to improve still. And I would imagine this edition should be one of the better gold cups ever played. But with the usa getting better and mexico struggling to decide which tournament to send its best team to...the allure of competing in such a tournament would be strong.

There are Euro qualifying rounds, where countries like San Marino and Gibraltar have a chance.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I watched the Uruguay/Chile match last night and that was just brutal. Uruguay finished with 9 men. Jara literally stuck his finger in Cavani's butt and he retaliated by giving him a slight slap in his face and earning his second yellow. Jara has since been suspended.

It was a dirty, nasty game.

OP
OP
SO91

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I watched the Uruguay/Chile match last night and that was just brutal. Uruguay finished with 9 men. Jara literally stuck his finger in Cavani's butt and he retaliated by giving him a slight slap in his face and earning his second yellow. Jara has since been suspended.

It was a dirty, nasty game.

It was a typical South American match between nations. Hell even friendlies are crazy, and they're meaningless. Watch the qualifiers and you'll understand what I'm saying. Jara is a ******* and that was a really unfair red card, but Cavani is an idiot for retaliating.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was a typical South American match between nations. Hell even friendlies are crazy, and they're meaningless. Watch the qualifiers and you'll understand what I'm saying. Jara is a ******* and that was a really unfair red card, but Cavani is an idiot for retaliating.

He didn't really retaliate. It was very meaningless and he flopped. It was horrible. I don't blame him for the reaction that he had afterwards really.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
There are Euro qualifying rounds, where countries like San Marino and Gibraltar have a chance.

Yeah the fans of the top euro nations like to mock the other regions for qualifying with minnows. But even the euros have minnows. Good thing we gave Germany a good prep for gilbralter. I will say a team like Ukraine not making the last World Cup is an example of a good team that could qualify in other regions.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SO91

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
He didn't really retaliate. It was very meaningless and he flopped. It was horrible. I don't blame him for the reaction that he had afterwards really.

Oh it was a horrible flop, and I'm biased as hell for Chile. He still reacted and got caught by the ref, as light a reaction as it was.

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Would love to see an Americas version of the Euros with North, Central and South American countries... including the minnows. I have sometimes watched the European Qualifiers and thought, "Wait, Gibraltar and San Marino are countries?"

Well, Gibraltar isn't a country, but I know what you mean.

If there was to be a proper 'Americas' tournament like the European Championships, there would need to be a proper qualifying round. All teams put into groups (some seeded). The tournament would need to be every 4 years as well.

Could be good though. Would only help the US get better.

OP
OP
SO91

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Copa America Centenario 2016

The host metropolitan areas and respective stadiums are: Bay Area (Levi’s Stadium), Chicago (Soldier Field), Foxborough (Gillette Stadium), Houston (NRG Stadium), New York/New Jersey (MetLife Stadium), Orlando (Orlando Citrus Bowl Stadium), Pasadena (Rose Bowl), Philadelphia (Lincoln Financial Field), Phoenix (University of Phoenix Stadium) and Seattle (CenturyLink Field). Similar to the FIFA World Cup, each venue will host matches on multiple days through the tournament. Most venues will host at least three games.

http://www.ussoccer.com/stories/201...e-us-selected-to-host-copa-america-centenario

Didn't see a dedicated thread, so I'm putting it here.