Cooper Game 2

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tried to keep an eye on Cooper in this game, especially on replays. I think he had a MUCH better game this time around. However, he seems to be lost in space a lot. A couple of times could have easily been flagged with a hold in pass pro, but some nice seal blocks and overall I think he had a much better game.

Again, great running results with him in the line and this time against a VERY good front seven, not the worst running D in the league like KC.

I am interested to hear Chopper, K9 and Stout's take on his play in game 2.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I thought he had an excellent game, except I'm leery on the play Stanton got injured on. I didn't see a replay there. Who let in the jail break.

I mean, I was just watching the game and not keying in on anything, but I didn't see anything bad. I'm wondering about that one play, though.

OP
OP
D-Dogg

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought he had an excellent game, except I'm leery on the play Stanton got injured on. I didn't see a replay there. Who let in the jail break.

I mean, I was just watching the game and not keying in on anything, but I didn't see anything bad. I'm wondering about that one play, though.

I had the same bad feeling but my first thought was that rush came from the right, and came HARD.

Quagmire

The thread killa strikes again
Reaction score
I hate to say it, but he missed the block. He initially helped Sendlein and was late in catching the blitzer. :(

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I hate to say it, but he missed the block. He initially helped Sendlein and was late in catching the blitzer. :(

That was Cooper's man who got to Stanton. He's gonna have to own that.

Otherwise, he played well. Saw a fair amount of runs up his side, this time against a Top 10 run defense.

Seandonic

Gotta love that Cardinal red!
Reaction score
My brother who is a Cowboys fan:bang: and knows a lot about football said he watched Cooper very closely throughout the Rams game and he said Cooper looked very good. Not great but very good. I've got to agree. He looked good. In no way a bust.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Cooper was definitely at fault for the sack & injury on Stanton
He initially blocked his guy & then he left him to try to pick up another blitzer. It looked like he thought he was passing him off to Velhdeer, but he had his own man to lock up.

Other than that extremely costly mistake, it looked like he had a good game. Run game looked good again.

don7031

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
On the play Stanton was hurt the Rams ran a stunt. Aaron Donald who was lined up over Sendlein angled toward Cooper while defensive end Eugene Sims who was lined outside of Veldheer crossed behind the defensive tackle and Donald. Veldheer picked up the defensive tackle. Sendlein engaged Donald, while Cooper dropped into protection. Then both Cooper and Sendlein went to pick up Sims which resulted in Cooper knocking Sendlein down allowing Donald and Sims an unimpeded path to Stanton. Either Cooper or Sendlein screwed up and I'm guessing it was the rookie.

http://www.azcardinals.com/videos/v...h-injury/ecf0046a-cc4f-4dcc-b6bf-bd36512b36c4

Last edited:

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
What i saw from Cooper on the play that Stanton got hurt, was that he did a GREAT job pancaking - Sendlein! That sucked... Otherwise, he played well enough to indicate he is progressing. Still not good enough or consistent enough... Still nowhere the level of a first round pick. But he seems to be progressing.

Last edited:

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Weren't there about 3 guys on Stanton when he was injured? Cooper is going to have growing pains. I like that the Cards have seemed to run the ball better since he was inserted.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What i saw from Cooper on the play that Stanton got hurt, was that he did a GREAT pancaking - Sendlein! That sucked... Otherwise, he played well enough to indicate he is progressing. Still not good enough or consistent enough... Still nowhere the level of a first round pick. But he seems to be progressing.
This

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
not sure who exactly was at fault, but Stanton bailed to his left based on quick pressure from his right--

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
not sure who exactly was at fault, but Stanton bailed to his left based on quick pressure from his right--

the pressure came from cooper;/sendlein area, they both blocked the center area and someone came through around each side of them.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I disagree. He was on the ground too often again, opened the gate to defenders too often, and often ended up moving well but blocking no one.

On one of the rare plays where he was asked to pull to the right, he ended up (again) getting across the line, but not being able to move the opponent. The runner had to cut the play to the middle.

The coaches didn't have a ton of faith in Cooper's ability to consistently stand up, either. Much more running to the right side of the line last night as opposed to Sunday.

OP
OP
D-Dogg

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
... and often ended up moving well but blocking no one.

That's what I meant by lost in space. Quite often he was blocking nothing.

However I don't think he had much of a good game last time around and feel this one was much better. Yes, he's got a long row to hoe still.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I'm going to do the same thing this week as last week. I'm going to watch the game, and focus on Cooper. The line blocked well vs the Rams, but that is not an indication of Cooper of course. I will try and track positive and negative plays in relation to NFL grading though I won't grade the mid plays as I don't have the scheme info. NFL grading essentially gives positive marks for proper combo blocks and one on one wins and negative marks for being on the grouund and opening the gate before the QB hits the top of his drop. That is a very basic eval, but one that should work without bias or a failure to understand the scheme.

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I don't go and watch every play of any particular player but I am a believer in "the proof is in the pudding" theory. I don't think it is a coincidence that our run game has been light years better since Cooper was inserted into the lineup due to injury. Our guards (Larsen & Fanika) have been horrible over the course of the year. Continuity aside, I could not see why Arians would not sub Cooper just based on how poorly the other two played. I know Williams may be one other variable in the run game but I cannot discount Cooper in how much better our run blocking seems to be. Now I wish Fanika would come back and replace Larsen and we would have our best five.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard