Coop out for year

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
OG Jonathon Cooper out for year after being placed on IR per Sirius NFL radio. So much for a promising rookie year! :mad:

Oh well, at least he won't have to play to one of the worst LT in the league after Levi is shown the door before 2014. Woohoo :D

sundevil04

AZ Cardinals Mortgage Guy
Reaction score
Disappointing, but probably for the better. Nothing would be worse than hurrying back only to re injure the leg

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
It's ironic that COOPER OUT FOR THE SEASON is running at the top of the AZCardinals.com site, and then underneath in the gallery there's an article about how Cooper could come back.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
It is pathetic how much losing our starting LG has crushed my excitement for the season.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
It is pathetic how much losing our starting LG has crushed my excitement for the season.

I don't think its pathetic considering how much stock you put in interior line play. After years of wandering in the desert with our Guard of the month plan we finally get a potential superstar Guard and he doesn't even make it to the start of the season. AFTER losing our 2nd round pick for the season in 2011 and half the team in 2012. :bang:

If we hadn't lucked into Palmer I'd be there with you.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's things like this that makes me consider that Jinxes are possible.

My hopes for Levi playing well this year was due to Cooper. Could give him help in Pass pro and our running game would be vastly improved which would play to Levi's strength.

Let's see if Watford can force his way into the starting line up as the season unfolds.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's things like this that makes me consider that Jinxes are possible.

My hopes for Levi playing well this year was due to Cooper. Could give him help in Pass pro and our running game would be vastly improved which would play to Levi's strength.

Let's see if Watford can force his way into the starting line up as the season unfolds.

The last 8 games in 2011 with Levi and Colledge was solid.

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Heart breaker

but at the end of the day, hes a Guard

Hes not our QB. Not that we have one, but hes not a franchise LT. Hes not Patrick and hes not Larry.

I have faith in Fanaika or whoever else they bring in. Our line looks better than last year overall. Thats in big part to Winston and Levi.

we always have Massie too to plug wherever. dont sleep on Earl either. Raw but powerful. Small college guy, but was elite in college.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The last 8 games in 2011 with Levi and Colledge was solid.

Good point.

Can we agree that Cooper was going to be better than Colledge this year and that Coop's ability to pull was going to make a big difference in the running game?

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Good point.

Can we agree that Cooper was going to be better than Colledge this year and that Coop's ability to pull was going to make a big difference in the running game?

Agreed.

I'm just trying to find some solace given the event.

red desert

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Heart breaker

but at the end of the day, hes a Guard

Hes not our QB. Not that we have one, but hes not a franchise LT. Hes not Patrick and hes not Larry.

I have faith in Fanaika or whoever else they bring in. Our line looks better than last year overall. Thats in big part to Winston and Levi.

we always have Massie too to plug wherever. dont sleep on Earl either. Raw but powerful. Small college guy, but was elite in college.

Agree with everything, 'cept the part about Levi. :)

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Good point.

No it's not a good point. Just an urban myth. Hard core fans trying to rationalize away the horrendous offensive line play of the last 3 seasons.

But Grimm is gone so the odds of things getting better have vastly improved.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No it's not a good point. Just an urban myth. Hard core fans trying to rationalize away the horrendous offensive line play of the last 3 seasons.

But Grimm is gone so the odds of things getting better have vastly improved.

Ding Dong the Grimm is gone.

I still say Colledge isn't that bad and his play was affected by god awful Batiste and then simply bad Potter.

Got my rose colored glasses on and drinking the koolaid so don't pee in the punch bowl. :)

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It would be nice if Big Earl could make that move. I like how he has been playing. Raw, but lots of talent.

Hoping with our some 6 Oline coaches they get a chance to work with him during the season.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Ding Dong the Grimm is gone.

I still say Colledge isn't that bad and his play was affected by god awful Batiste and then simply bad Potter.

Got my rose colored glasses on and drinking the koolaid so don't pee in the punch bowl. :)

Why would Colledge play be affected that much by the LT?

But we are discussing the wrong thing here. Individual talent is not so much the issue as the group playing together. I have seen more cohesiveness from our offensive line this pre season than in all the 6 years Grimm was oline coach.

They are blocking better as a unit. Watch some replays to see how they move as a line on several plays. We never saw that with Grimm. Unlike most here I am pleased with the way the TE's are blocking. Especially Sperry and Jefferson. They are blocking one on one the defenses outside defenders. Usually DE's and driving them off the los. They are extra Tackles and doing a decent job of it. Heck even Housler and Dray are blocking better.

The trademarks of the Grimm offensive lines were edge rushers unblocked, a different guy missing on every play, not just one guy being awful, and as a group looking like the keystone kops with blockers going every which direction without actually blocking anyone. I didn't see much of that this pre season.

So far this preseason the one problem I have with Goodwin's oline is gap control. They are getting great push off the line of scrimmage and more blockers are getting to the 2nd level than in the past but they are allowing too many defenders to slide between them.

It will be an interesting season. I remember a post I made in 2003 when the Cards had so many new players: This team could go 11-5 or 5-11. I feel the same way this season.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Why would Colledge play be affected that much by the LT?
But we are discussing the wrong thing here. Individual talent is not so much the issue as the group playing together. I have seen more cohesiveness from our offensive line this pre season than in all the 6 years Grimm was oline coach.

:shrug:

They are blocking better as a unit. Watch some replays to see how they move as a line on several plays. We never saw that with Grimm. Unlike most here I am pleased with the way the TE's are blocking. Especially Sperry and Jefferson. They are blocking one on one the defenses outside defenders. Usually DE's and driving them off the los. They are extra Tackles and doing a decent job of it. Heck even Housler and Dray are blocking better.

The trademarks of the Grimm offensive lines were edge rushers unblocked, a different guy missing on every play, not just one guy being awful, and as a group looking like the keystone kops with blockers going every which direction without actually blocking anyone. I didn't see much of that this pre season.

So far this preseason the one problem I have with Goodwin's oline is gap control. They are getting great push off the line of scrimmage and more blockers are getting to the 2nd level than in the past but they are allowing too many defenders to slide between them.

It will be an interesting season. I remember a post I made in 2003 when the Cards had so many new players: This team could go 11-5 or 5-11. I feel the same way this season.

Having Batiste constantly get beat and not being on the same page as Colledge who had to be keeping an eye on Batiste had to have a negative impact.

Potter being a rookie who also struggled but wasn't Batiste bad and then Sendlein getting injured meant the continuity was destroyed.

I agree that the TE's look to be much better this year in regards to their blocking abilities. Of course it would be hard to look worse but they are improved and to a level that is respectable.

I doubt we go 11-5 unless planets align but I agree that this team could be either pretty darn good or bad.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Having Batiste constantly get beat and not being on the same page as Colledge who had to be keeping an eye on Batiste had to have a negative impact.

Potter being a rookie who also struggled but wasn't Batiste bad and then Sendlein getting injured meant the continuity was destroyed.

I agree that the TE's look to be much better this year in regards to their blocking abilities. Of course it would be hard to look worse but they are improved and to a level that is respectable.

I doubt we go 11-5 unless planets align but I agree that this team could be either pretty darn good or bad.

Well that's what I'm asking. Why would Colledge be keeping an eye on Batiste? Wouldn't he have been keeping an eye on Sendlein or the opponents DT or inside LB? I know there are plays where the Guard pulls to pick up an outside rusher but we didn't run many of those.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well that's what I'm asking. Why would Colledge be keeping an eye on Batiste? Wouldn't he have been keeping an eye on Sendlein or the opponents DT or inside LB? I know there are plays where the Guard pulls to pick up an outside rusher but we didn't run many of those.

If the Oline needs to play as a unit and you have a broken link that has to impact the rest of the chain. Can't trust your OT to pick up the right guy or if he does know he will get beat like a drum.

If I'm Colledge I'm always looking to help bad OT anyway I can. Plus how demoralizing is it to Colledge knowing no matter how well he does the OT will just kill the play. Many here make that excuse for the D getting worn out by the O's never helping the team win a game or at least get some 1st downs to give them some rest. Not exactly the same thing but in the same spectrum IMO.

So OT's suck and starting C gets injured and OG's play will be negatively impacted.

Now let's build on your point that the coaching is greatly improved and I can see Colledge having a good year.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
If the Oline needs to play as a unit and you have a broken link that has to impact the rest of the chain. Can't trust your OT to pick up the right guy or if he does know he will get beat like a drum.

If I'm Colledge I'm always looking to help bad OT anyway I can. Plus how demoralizing is it to Colledge knowing no matter how well he does the OT will just kill the play. Many here make that excuse for the D getting worn out by the O's never helping the team win a game or at least get some 1st downs to give them some rest. Not exactly the same thing but in the same spectrum IMO.

So OT's suck and starting C gets injured and OG's play will be negatively impacted.

Now let's build on your point that the coaching is greatly improved and I can see Colledge having a good year.

I still don't get it. Colledge has his own things to worry about. I just don't see a Guard worrying about what a tackle is doing. The LT is usually left on an island with occasional help from a TE or RB. The Guard isn't interested in what the LT is doing. His work is either alone or with the Center the majority of the time while occasionally looking for inside stunts from the outside rusher. But his first look is inside not to the LT. Most outside rushers are so far wide that a Guard has no chance of helping a T block them.

Now I might buy the argument that Colledge's level of play went down when Sendlein went out because Sendlein is the best lineman on the team.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard